• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Nock fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I stopped by a local pawn shop yesterday and saw that they had a
"16 gage fowler" for sale (percussion).

It had a little tasteful engraving on it and was marked "Nock" and "London" and had a brass butt plate. The barrel was about 36" long, octagon to round, and pinned.

I couldn't believe how light and well balanced it felt in my hands.

From the outside it looked pretty darn nice. I'm going back later this week and check out the bore with a fishing bobber light. The bore looks bigger then a 16 gage to me. I'll measure that too.

They want 400 bones for it but we'll see.

Is it Henry Nock or Samuel Nock? If it's a conversion from flint, it might well be Henry (who was more famous); if it's original percussion, then it's probably Samuel, as Henry Nock died in about 1803. Either way, it sounds like a nice piece from a well-known maker, and it may well be worth far more than $400, depending, of course, on condition.

There were a lot of knockoffs back in the day, so if you buy it, buy it because you like it, not because it's a Nock unless you get an expert to verify it.

Latest posts

Back