• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

NO YEAST at the store....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brown sugar is used as a dessicant?

Yes, brown sugar will absorb moisture. The bread will keep the sugar from going hard and the sugar will dry out the bread and keep it from molding.
It helps to dry out the sugar a little first if it is new.
I have more tricks up my sleeve too.

The only problem with using the yeast that is on grapes is, finding fresh, off the vine grapes isn't easy to do.
The grapes sold in stores have been washed and re-washed to the point that there isn't much if any yeast on them by the time you buy them.

Not only that,, but they are almost always treated with sulfites to inhibit yeast growth.

We have a sufficient supply but of curiosity I checked the King Arthur Flour website for yeast. They were completely sold out of all the different types. I wonder if a lot of it will ever be used.

I hope those trying to bake bread for the first time stay with it. There is a sense of self-sufficiency in being able to bake a good loaf of bread from scratch. (Not to mention that wonderful aroma of fresh baking.) That's a hope, not a prediction.

Jeff

. I wonder if a lot of it will ever be used.

Mine will. I'll be baking tomorrow or maybe tonight.

Yeast grows, so you only need a little bit and you can grow more. Easy to do.

If you make no-knead bread it only takes a pinch 1/8 teaspoon of yeast, and the dough can sit in the fridge for 2-3 days. (don't use instant yeast or rapid rise for this.) There are 7 grams in a yeast packet.

If you want loaf bread, grow the 1/8 teaspoon first on the counter for 2 days in a lightly covered jar (so the gas can escape) with about 3-4 ounces of water and a pinch of sugar. ( shake the water and sugar mixture to aerate before adding the yeast) give the jar a swirl every time you walk by to keep the yeast active, after 2 days, refrigerate until it settles then pour off most of the liquid but not the sediment, that's the yeast. Add back some fresh non-chlorinated water, mix and add to your flour and make bread.

Carbon 6,
Thanks for the info on stretching a yeast supply. Didn't know that but then I've always had enough yeast on hand. (For some reason, probably luck, I'm a decent baker, so I've used yeast often.) I'm going to copy that part of your comment for the 'cooking tips' and recipe file.

Jeff

We started a fresh batch of sourdough, and my wife made a very nice pizza with a portion of it last night. I had some older sourdough I made a few yrs ago in freezer but managed to lose it when we moved last fall. Sourdough is a good way to go!

My recent sourdough bakes. The round is straight sourdough. The loaves are garlic Parmesan. I use the Tartain recipe and method. Tartine Bakery's Country Bread
320FA136-7ADE-479D-8D44-4EA3D542CBB3.jpeg
9A8255E2-54AF-4B4F-A488-BCB21D02F2FC.jpeg
FF26BE06-ACF5-4D5C-8A8B-08B2AD5E3219.jpeg

I see crumb savers, crumb trays, silent butlers etc, all the time at antique stores. Saving bread crumbs was popular, not all that long ago.

Went to the store today.
It was extremely well stocked.
No yeast though at one store, and i forgot to check the other. Lot's of flour and toilet paper though. and everything else was fully stocked.

I have plenty of yeast thanks to our nearby Amish store. They seem to have many things you cant buy elsewhere. A variety of pickled vegetables and eggs, etc.

Getting low on flour now but here is yesterday's white flour sourdough.

Coming up next....cinnamon swirl... ummm.

1587254876806.png

Last edited:
Back