• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

NO YEAST at the store....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know if there are any Smart and Final's in your areas. So far they have had yeast in stock.

I made pizza dough a couple days ago, saved back some of the yeast and made a starter, grew it for 2 days on the counter, now it's in the fridge. It will make another pizza or something. I have no shortage of yeast, but I'm still going to be frugal.

I just remembered a book i have talking of making a yeast paste, then using a clean scraped board and painting the yeast on, after several layers have dried you scrape off a postage stamp sized piece to soak for making bread.

I'll see if i can dig it up.

The book is Buckskins, Blades and Biscuits.
There's a couple pages covering yeast and storing it BITD.
Pretty interesting, think im making cat head biscuits in the morning.

re: using the natural yeast on grape or raisin skins (old prohibition trick), any unwashed/unwiped fruit will have yeast on the skin. Called "must". Of course, in our hype sanitary stores, a lost/most has been "pre-cleaned".

The only problem with using the yeast that is on grapes is, finding fresh, off the vine grapes isn't easy to do.
The grapes sold in stores have been washed and re-washed to the point that there isn't much if any yeast on them by the time you buy them.

I used to keep yeast on hand for baking. Got so I didn't bake enough with it to make it worth while. Went from using a pound or so a year to none. As in not at all in the past 5 years. Found a little specialty bakery that sells for less than it would cost me to buy the ingredients. The sweet pumpernickle dinner rolls are divine, They have a extra sour dough with provolone, capocola and black olive slices that is like eating a sandwich. My system won't tolerate whole wheat the way I once could. Get a terrible pain right in the middle and end up eating rollaids.

I found a 500 gram pack of Fleischman's instant yeast in the fridge. It outdated in 2016.
I'm testing it to see if it's till good.

The worst would be that it tastes terrible.

It was slow to start, but after an hour and a half it's chugging along and smells right. Guess now i have to make a dough, oh darn.
1586474085377.png

Panicked people doing desperate things.

Over on Reddit, someone posted a picture of a clear contractor size bag filled with moldy bread waiting for the trash pick-up. It does not make sense that they thought they could go through twenty or thirty loaves in a week.

I've heard that the explanation for hoarding toilet paper is the thought of the virus makes people think of being unclean, and tissue paper is something that equates to clean in their minds.

Over on Reddit, someone posted a picture of a clear contractor size bag filled with moldy bread waiting for the trash pick-up. It does not make sense that they thought they could go through twenty or thirty loaves in a week.

I've heard that the explanation for hoarding toilet paper is the thought of the virus makes people think of being unclean, and tissue paper is something that equates to clean in their minds.

I think that many people think Covid-19 is a form of "the flu" and people associate "flu" with a gastrointestinal (enteric) illness with diarrhea, while the term "influenza" makes them scratch their heads and perhaps say something about the "flu shot" such as; "I got the flu shot and I still got diarrhea".
All that moldy bread and no one wanted to brew up some penicillin?

Wife and I tried 2 places and no yeast. I dont know why for sure but it seems odd many people started making bread.

Panic buying, Like lemmings jumping off of a cliff, sow fear into one and the rest follow.
I'll bet half of them don't even know how to make bread.

I normally bake 2-3 times a week so it's normal for me to have yeast on hand. Rather than add to the problem, i'm conserving and extending my yeast, getting up to 4 times the use out of a single packet.

I would have made garlic bread, croutons and rusks out of all the bread before it went moldy. Dried cubes for stuffing or pudding, Throw it in a big tub with a lid and a bag of brown sugar and it will keep for a year.
Toast was originally made from dried out old bread.
Good eats all around.
Knowledge is power.

But, the real people to blame for hording are the stores for not limiting purchases.

Latest posts

Back