• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

No turkeys, but,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
I have not gotten out for my much needed woods time in so, so, very long.
Turkey season is a few weeks old here and ends at the end of next week. Between Covid, work, and weather, I've not even gotten a scout in.
Decided I was going out today no matter what. Just couldn't decide where. There is a place I've not hunted but seem birds in the surrounding area that I've been meaning to check out. But, my best and most loved places always beckon. I got a late start so decided to check out the new place along the Farmington River, much further downstream than I usually hunt or fish. I only have state land to hunt, so I know this late the birds have been pushed around, but, I need to get out.
I finished making or acquired a lot of kit the last few months so was finally able to go out with almost 100 period kit, 1755 to 1780. Some stuff, like the trekkers boots, might be debatable, and obviously the cell phone I took the pictures with is way off base.

Anyway, no turkeys, not even tracks in the soft spots or signs of dusting in the sandy spots. But, I did see one black bear, 6 deer, some baby rabbits, and had a catbird sit and hang out with me for a while.
IMG_20200522_122934_846.jpgIMG_20200522_122934_901.jpg20200522_082024.jpg20200522_082021.jpg20200522_092905.jpg20200522_082133.jpg20200522_093550.jpg20200522_093516.jpg20200522_093310.jpg

Farmington River? Are you talking about People's Forest in Connecticut?
The People's Forest, American Legion state forest, Tunxis state forest, area is my normal stomping grounds. This place is much further downstream, almost to Tariffville gorge.
20200522_100431.jpg20200522_100429.jpgIMG_20200522_122934_895.jpg20200522_100436.jpg20200522_094125.jpg
The river is much broader down here with almost no stone bottom, mostly silty, sandy, mud on the bottom. Trout fishing is no where near as good here as it is upstream of Collinsville.

I was born and raised in Connecticut, now living in Oklahoma. Fished the Farmington river for many years but never hunted any of those areas you mentioned. From what I hear from my buddies back home is that state land Turkey hunting is bad this year. No birds hardly anywhere. Colebrook Reservoir property might be worth a try. Usually there's birds there and doesn't get hunted much. Some big bruiser bucks in those woods
Moose too.

I was born and raised in Connecticut, now living in Oklahoma. Fished the Farmington river for many years but never hunted any of those areas you mentioned. From what I hear from my buddies back home is that state land Turkey hunting is bad this year. No birds hardly anywhere. Colebrook Reservoir property might be worth a try. Usually there's birds there and doesn't get hunted much. Some big bruiser bucks in those woods
Moose too.
Yup, I fish Hogs Back at Colebrook reservoir quite a bit, hunt there some. Plenty of moose and bear encounters there, and at People's off Kiwanis road, and had a bull moose get a little aggressive up at Tunxis.
Reports on opening day were really positive, but then the weather turned cold and crappy, it even snowed one day. Even my friends with private land are reporting a dud season.
I have a hot spot in a different part of the state that I will hit late next week. I won't have a free morning, I work until close to 08:00, until Weds morning. Hopefully the weather cuts me a break.

Best of luck with the birds. Always good to connect with someone from back home. In my new "home " state here, we've got 3 species of turkeys. I was lucky enough to take my first Rio Grande on opening day.

"This is probobly my last time logged on at the MLF, as i dont know how much time i have left. Not too long ago found out that I have sepsis, and its looking pretty bleak for me. So in other words, accept this as a goodby and keep your powder dry. Thank You kindly. Signing Off."
Gooba Jones Sr.

I'm sorry to hear of your condition. I was very ill back in 2006, in intensive care and going downhill. However, things got better and I'm still here. Hopefully, you will follow in my footsteps.

"This is probobly my last time logged on at the MLF, as i dont know how much time i have left. Not too long ago found out that I have sepsis, and its looking pretty bleak for me. So in other words, accept this as a goodby and keep your powder dry. Thank You kindly. Signing Off."
Gooba Jones Sr.

I'm sorry to hear of your condition. I was very ill back in 2006, in intensive care and going downhill. However, things got better and I'm still here. Hopefully, you will follow in my footsteps.
I did not see the quote from Mr. Jones until your post. It is most disheartening.
Sepsis can be beat. It can be a long tough road, but it is possible.

Prayers to you Mr. Jones.

Back