• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

No Such Rifle !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ten thousand Thank You's to everyone for the likes and comments ! Some questions were asked so I'll add some build info. Bbl. = Rice, Early American, C wght., .54 cal., Lock = Chambers Round Face Eng., trigger and plate = Issac Haines TOW, Buttplate = BP1 series 672, TRS, The t/guard is from Mike Brooks, Sideplate is a reshaped Fusil de Chasse. RR pipes are TOW with the entry pipe finial hand cut. That's a CM5 grade curly maple from Pecatonica, who also did the precarve. I'd originally ordered a CM4 grade but there was a hiccup with that stock so the boys at Pec cut me a new one using a CM5. Pretty darn nice of them I'd say! The stain is Kibler's with a Lye wash. I did about 30 tests using FN and Kibler's and thought I had it down but in the end it came out darker than intended. 'Not real pleased about that! The oil finish is Dembart. The French Grey is a solution called Metal Ready made by an outfit called POR-15 (automotive) and is nothing more than Phosphoric acid with a zinc component in it. Finish-wise it was a shining star for ease of use and results. ppb noted the carving style. That's my design based on the acanthus leaf motif's the Dutch seemed to favor with many variations on their fowlers here in the colonies. Grinslade's section on Hudson Valley Fowlers in his book will show that. Also, on page 11 of The Art of Engraving shows the two basic types of ancanthus leaves. Mollis and Spinosis. My design is based on the spinosis. And, FWIW, it's a real PIA to do on heavily figured red maple. I knew better, but went ahead and did it anyway. The pro's will point out that moderate curl sugar maple is the correct choice for something like this, and they'd be right. Forewarned is forearmed ! Thanks again everybody.

I see nothing to criticize. The rifle is beautiful. I've never seen one quite like it, but there are a number of old guns out there that don't necessarily conform to recognized conventions.

Where did you find that triggerguard? I was somewhat interested in the Dutch-styled guns in South Africa a while back, and that square-backed triggerguard appeared to be a favorite with the old builders. I never did find a guard like that for sale anywhere, though.

Strong work!

Notchy Bob
NB, that t/guard come from Mike Brooks, also TRS has the one I did yrs. ago, series 672 TG1. Mike's is sand cast, TRS's is wax cast. Note: I changed the finials on mine so don't let that throw you if you're checking into Mikes and mine looks different.

Ten thousand Thank You's to everyone for the likes and comments ! Some questions were asked so I'll add some build info. Bbl. = Rice, Early American, C wght., .54 cal., Lock = Chambers Round Face Eng., trigger and plate = Issac Haines TOW, Buttplate = BP1 series 672, TRS, The t/guard is from Mike Brooks, Sideplate is a reshaped Fusil de Chasse. RR pipes are TOW with the entry pipe finial hand cut. That's a CM5 grade curly maple from Pecatonica, who also did the precarve. I'd originally ordered a CM4 grade but there was a hiccup with that stock so the boys at Pec cut me a new one using a CM5. Pretty darn nice of them I'd say! The stain is Kibler's with a Lye wash. I did about 30 tests using FN and Kibler's and thought I had it down but in the end it came out darker than intended. 'Not real pleased about that! The oil finish is Dembart. The French Grey is a solution called Metal Ready made by an outfit called POR-15 (automotive) and is nothing more than Phosphoric acid with a zinc component in it. Finish-wise it was a shining star for ease of use and results. ppb noted the carving style. That's my design based on the acanthus leaf motif's the Dutch seemed to favor with many variations on their fowlers here in the colonies. Grinslade's section on Hudson Valley Fowlers in his book will show that. Also, on page 11 of The Art of Engraving shows the two basic types of ancanthus leaves. Mollis and Spinosis. My design is based on the spinosis. And, FWIW, it's a real PIA to do on heavily figured red maple. I knew better, but went ahead and did it anyway. The pro's will point out that moderate curl sugar maple is the correct choice for something like this, and they'd be right. Forewarned is forearmed ! Thanks again everybody.
There was an interesting story on the shrinking growing areas and increasing rarity of Sugar Maple in the Oct. issue of Muzzle Blasts.

It's what ye want, that makes it perfect. To my eye, a fine rifle anyone would be proud to carry. đź‘Ť
Thanks, one thing about one off/oddball guns like this is that while they may not be the prettiest girl in the room, they do catch and hold attention for a little bit. Plus, if you're the builder, you don't have to work at re-inventing someone else's wheel. :cool:

Hi SA,
Also apparently a lot of figured maple logs are going overseas for veneer. The supply for gunstock blanks is diminishing. That also includes walnut. This may be one reason Jim Kibler is now sourcing wood right from the logger. Dunlap Woodcrafts did not attend the Kempton Gunmakers Fair this year because they had little wood to sell.

dave

Yes Gents, there is no historical basis whatever for this flight of fancy, so, 'tongue in cheek' is the approach we'll be using. OK ? It's a rifle made here in the Hudson River Valley, 3rd or 4th qtr. 18c. A customer walks into an old Dutch gun builders shop with a rifle bbl. and wants a gun made using it. Our old Dutchman neither knows nor cares about nosecaps, patchboxes, cheeckpieces, etc. So, our customer gets a fowler with a rifle bbl. in it, in full Dutch style but way too short for our old Dutchman's taste. He's getting paid so he could care less. His customer got this and went away pleased (my gun and story so I can tell it any way I like). Now, there's a good half dozen or more things I'm not happy with at all so the 'critical eye' line forms right behind me. It's been a good 25 yrs. since I did a concept, to pattern, to finished gun. Have fun. View attachment 163878:p View attachment 163881View attachment 163882View attachment 163883View attachment 163885View attachment 163886View attachment 163880View attachment 163880
Very interesting piece.

Though yours is fancier, it also reminds me of composite guns put together due to the 1792 US Militia Acts.

Gus

The only changes I would make would be a flat butt (HATE any hint of a curve/point, but that is a personal thing) and I would've done it percussion (again, just me, I realize percussion didn't exist late 1700s).

But that is some truly fine work there!

Really nice rifle and your work is beautifully done on an absolutely gorgeous Curly Maple stock.
"Fantasy guns" (or any fantasy artworks) are always so interesting and yours captures interest right away, Certainly 'outside of the box' with this build- with a big happy splash.
Congratulations!

Last edited:
Back