• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

no salt but pepper buck.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1961

62 Cal.
Reaction score
just found this one that someone posted last year after deer season..............................bob

129472.jpg

Strange genetics at work there for sure...seems like the head and nose aren't quite right for a whitetail...can't tell for sure if the nose is a little wide and blunt or if it's just because it's all black

deer3.jpg

Img5.jpg

Here's the salt. I used to keep my boat at Sampson State Park. The adjoining area is a gigantic double fenced high-security military depot (Seneca). There is a population of whitetail that has been isolated since before WWII. About 50% of them are completely white, but not albinos.

i'd love to get a permit to hunt there.... like a once in a life time lottery type drawing....even if it was a doe tag i drew....................bob

It's a site {allegedly} used to {formerly?} store the nukes & iron bombs in some 500+ bunkers for Rome AFB. The 'brown' deer are managed by hunting, but the 'white' deer are protected. Take at least two balls so you can shoot yourself in the head if you take one by accident. The locals would skin you alive. And, make sure you use the proper enterance. Show up at the "wrong" spot unannounced and you'll find zero sense of humor. You never used to see any sign of a military presence until you touch the outer fence - and then you are looking down the muzzles of a couple German Shepards with 9" teeth and several M-16's. I understand the base is now deserted and the bunkers are empty. Local lore credits the site with enough goings on to put Area 51 to shame. Hundred foot long cannon, a 'hidden' three mile long airstrip, underground hangers, etc. I know there was some funky sonar stuff going on at a huge barge operated by the Navy in 600 ft of water in nearby Seneca Lake. It has a derrik with a 32:1 block system and cable that appears to be a foot in diameter. On the shore nearby used to be what, by appearance, was the front half of a sub! The keels and rudders of our sailboats would often be buzzing, pinging and rumbling with sounds presumably originating from that station.

WHITE DEER
How It Began
In 1941, 24 miles of security fencing enclosed the area now known as the Conservation Area (CA) of the former Seneca Army Depot. Captured within the fence line of the CA were several whitetail deer (Odocoileus virginianus) of the normal brown coloration. Within a few years, however, something unique happened. White pigmented deer began populating the brown deer herd within the CA. The U. S. Army, sensing something unique was taking place, gave the white deer protection while they managed the brown deer through hunting. This was necessary to keep the population within the carrying capacity of the habitat of the CA.

How did the white deer coloration manifest itself within the CA?
It appears one or more of the brown whitetails originally confined with the CA, carried the recessive gene for white coloration. Over time and with protection from the military, this normally recessive gene continued to manifest itself. Today, the CA is home to the world’s largest and only herd of white deer, nearly 200 individuals strong. Such a density of white deer can be found no where else in the world!

White deer have brown eyes unlike albino deer that are pink eyed. It is also not uncommon to see brown does with white fawns or white does with brown fawns. The color combinations of white and brown deer range from gray to brown as well as white spotting along with pure white.

How are they protected now?
To protect the entire deer herd, the maintenance of the 24 miles of fence must be maintained. Within the fenced area of the CA, the white and brown deer can be properly managed through hunting to keep the herd healthy. If the fence line degrades, and the deer escape, especially the white deer, they are heavily sought as trophies and will perish quickly.

How you can help protect them in the future?
With your help, this unique natural resource, the white deer of the former Seneca Army Depot, can be preserved for generations to enjoy and marvel. To help in this endeavor, check out on how you can assist.

Seneca White Deer

i guess i'll have to find out how i can get my camera and myself there instead...when i was 18 in n.j. i seen a white deer late fall one day riding my dirt bike and had to shut it down in amazment and just stare at it....a 8 point buck to boot....and for about 10 seconds of watching it....it just blended into the woods to never be seen again or harvested by anyone....it was like a ghost in the wind that everyone was after but not to be had.......................bob

Back