• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

No PC roundball, but highly effective

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Tremain

Silversmith in training
Reaction score
If you dont want to increase your range or tighten up your groupings, dont read this, it aint period correct!

In fact Id say it is boader line cheating!

My good bud's wife is one of the top female shooters in our area. Them glas are fearse compeditors.

Seems after they cast a few 1000 roundball. They stick them in a media tumbler for 24 hours.

What comes out are perfect polished, round balls! They look like swaged ones. No spew mark at all.

If any one doesnt know what a media tumbler is. During the centre fire reloading process, you put your shell cases in an electric tumbler fill with corn husks (and other stuff can be used). What you get out are highly polished and buffed cases.

They stick them in a media tumbler for 24 hours.
What comes out are perfect polished, round balls! They look like swaged ones. No spew mark at all.
Also, Warren Muzzleloading (now Ozone Muzzleloading, in Ozone, Arkansas) has been manufacturing their line of "spruless balls" for years doing just that...cast balls which are then run through tumblers.

www.ozonemountain.com

I tried that, makes good ammo. Makes a lot of racket, too, so do it in the garage when the wife's not home!

you put your shell cases in an electric tumbler fill with corn husks (and other stuff can be used). What you get out are highly polished and buffed cases.

Other Stuff: pieces of pecan shells buffs cases to a high gloss shine.

Been looken into these tumblers. There are two basic types, vibratory and rotary and a bunch of different media and grits. The tumblers are made for rocks and casings, but no mention of lead round balls, although I would guess the roundballs would fall into the rock category. Anyway...would the vibratory or rotary be better for mostly polishing off the sprue of the hand cast roundballs? and what grit media? or type of media? Something hard like nut shells seems appropriate, but there are steel balls, plastic balls and silica products also. Thanks for any info.

I use the tumbler, without any media. What makes the trick work is the balls tumbling against each other. You can sometimes find the rock tumblers at a garage sale for 5-10 bucks.

Latest posts

Back