• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No! No! Get them away

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all FUN ! If muzzle loading wasn't fun, we'd be sitting at home watching millionaires play ball games on a flatscreen rather than dressing like trees, carrying an old timey gun to watch squirrels cuttin; hickory nuts.

Whatever turns YOUR crank is fine with me. Have FUN and pass the good times along to younger people.

The commentary here is fantastic. Thanks for bringing me a few chuckles.

Also... Little Bobby down the road used to touch inlines... Know what happened to him? He's dead!!

I don't really have anything against inlines, but I hate that they exist and aren't excluded from ML seasons in western states where public land hunting is more common and big game tags aren't a dime a dozen and nearly unlimited in number like they are in some Midwestern whitetail states. For example, in the Utah regs, it says no smokeless powder is allowed in ML. I know many many people break that law. Even if you're not going to break that law, you can just jam 150gr of 777 into your scoped saboted 45 inline and easy peasy knock down an elk at 500 yards. Meanwhile, the poor guy who values a traditional muzzleloader is listening to those sabots buzz over his head while he's trying to get within 50 yards for a shot.

Never had one. But I must point out there have been examples of inline firearms that go back a long ways. The idea has been around for a very long time. Just them 209's made it much more doable.
If my State allowed the most common in-lines during muzzleloader season I might have gone off in that direction. But the rules say sidelock only so it made the choice for me.

They are just another style of gun. A hybrid of eras for sure. Certainly not reflective of any of the guns from the periods this forum focuses on. The only thing I get behind the complaints about them is the lack of being appropriate to the time this forum focuses on. But then I have felt for a long time there should be a sub-forum for them here. Some of the fellas here have them.

This forum is for purists. The companion in-line forum is mainly for hunting
or those hunting the muzzle-loading seasons. Those folks want the performance
of an unmentionable in the muzzle loading hunt setting. That's my take.

Personally, I'd enjoy a return to the original "historic" or "Primitive" weapons seasons we enjoyed back in the day when those special seasons first came about. Even if the season didn't hit the high point of the rut nor peak of the mating period, it would be pleasant to once more enjoy our version of hunting without the "modern" competition.

Only those old enough to remember when those seasons first started can appreciate the difference. Those were "Happy Times" for me. Sitting on a log with my old timey gun, thermos of coffee waiting for the sun to come up without the rattle bang of some one's semi-auto AR "pistol" on the next farm was really a good thing. For me, it's not about traditional versus non-traditional muzzle loaders, it's abandonment of the intent of the origination of those special seasons to provide us with a few days to re-live a small part of our hunting heritage.

A few days without compound bows, crossbows, in-lines, air guns, cartridge firearms, and such is no different than separating fly fishermen from plastic worm tossers on a stream. Old man's rant.

Sheriff , from one old man to another with all the respect in the world. I spent the last 60+ years acquiring every type of firearm one could think of. i started out my gun life with a black powder rifle at 11 years. it created a monster that sat on my shoulder the many long years. i went through the Magnum phase. I have always been a hunter. i bought into the reach out and touch them cool aid. there always seemed there was something missing.
now this last decade hunting with flintlock and percussion exclusively i have found the real harmony i was missing. i usually take my critters inside 50 yards. that's Moose, Elk, Deer and an occasional Black Bear. i feel it has returned me to being a hunter and not a sniper.
just another old mans rambling.

plastic worms????

I eat beef, pork, chicken, many forms of seafood and a wide variety of wild game. Likewise, I sure don't limit my shooting pleasure to one flavor. I have flintlocks, caplocks, in-lines and even those dreadful cartridge thingies. Feel free to judge me. I care not.
I agree, I shoot everything. But when I muzzleloader hunt I mostly use flint and percussion guns. Not because I am trying to impress anyone, but because I enjoy the challenge of trying to get close enough to take one good shot. Its a personal thing.

It's all FUN ! If muzzle loading wasn't fun, we'd be sitting at home watching millionaires play ball games on a flatscreen rather than dressing like trees, carrying an old timey gun to watch squirrels cuttin; hickory nuts.

Whatever turns YOUR crank is fine with me. Have FUN and pass the good times along to younger people.
There is a reason there are so many flavors of ice cream.

My friend had one and I seen him put the ramrod against a tree to load the second shot. I acquired it in a buyout when he died. I never shot it and gave it to my neighbor because his girlfriend grooms my little monster dog. She is one of those that turns into a poopamatic if I look at her.:doh:

Sheriff , from one old man to another with all the respect in the world. I spent the last 60+ years acquiring every type of firearm one could think of. i started out my gun life with a black powder rifle at 11 years. it created a monster that sat on my shoulder the many long years. i went through the Magnum phase. I have always been a hunter. i bought into the reach out and touch them cool aid. there always seemed there was something missing.
now this last decade hunting with flintlock and percussion exclusively i have found the real harmony i was missing. i usually take my critters inside 50 yards. that's Moose, Elk, Deer and an occasional Black Bear. i feel it has returned me to being a hunter and not a sniper.
just another old mans rambling.
I can relate to so much of this. My journey was quite similar. For most of the last 20 years I have hunted with BP arms. For a while they were BP cartridge rifles. I spent a good deal of time reloading of course. Then I realized with my ML that each shot was a custom reload. Now I just grab a ML and the bullet bag that goes with it and go hunting - doesn't matter if it's ML season or regular season. If it's gun season I have a ML in my hands.
I wish we had more discussion here of using fast twist bullet rifles in a traditional style. I know there are the long rang gys that shoot the Gibbs and Whitworths and others. I'm talking more about fast twist hunting guns. The way I read Ned Robert's book they were a thing. I get it - the discussions would probably go off the rails when they are compared to inlines.

ANYTHING that sends a bullet downrange in real life is miles better than x-box. I don't care a rip what it is, get those kids outdoors and shooting! 🙂

I've stuck with traditional MLs because I'm more into the designs and aesthetics of yesteryear. Just like while I own a handful of bolt rifles, my passion is my Winchester and Henry lever rifles which I shall not be shamed into referring to as unmentionables. 😁

Back