• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

No! No! Get them away

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a slippery slope. Similar to coyotes, when 209 primers are outlawed, and plastic stocks require a tax stamp, the good ol' boys will still be around - knapping flints from county road gravel and hunting the creek bottom woods. Waiting for a gun buy-back. In-lines are just evil. Bad. Nasty, They give you crabs and cause babies to be born nekkid. Putin shoots an inline.
If you can make flints from road gravel you must be an angel from above. My attempts have not gone well.

I eat beef, pork, chicken, many forms of seafood and a wide variety of wild game. Likewise, I sure don't limit my shooting pleasure to one flavor. I have flintlocks, caplocks, in-lines and even those dreadful cartridge thingies. Feel free to judge me. I care not.
Get thee behind me Satan
( I do hope you realize we’re all jesting here. I bet a healthy percentage of tge forum members shoot guns we can’t talk about on the forum)

What's worse, an in-line or modern cartridge gun? Oh the horrors!
But an in-line is just a cartridge gun without the extra cartridge case!! :rolleyes: I don't think you can split that hair. 😂

Uh ... but wait ... a traditional muzzle loader is just an inline you have to load from the front!! So it's also just a cartridge gun without the cartridge case.

Making moral decisions about these subtle differences is getting really difficult for me.

But an in-line is just a cartridge gun without the extra cartridge case!! :rolleyes: I don't think you can split that hair. 😂

Uh ... but wait ... a traditional muzzle loader is just an inline you have to load from the front!! So it's also just a cartridge gun without the cartridge case.

Making moral decisions about these subtle differences is getting really difficult for me.
The devils in the details. It’s ok to make a withdrawal at a bank, providing you have an account and not doing it at the point of a gun.

The devils in the details. It’s ok to make a withdrawal at a bank, providing you have an account and not doing it at the point of a gun.
I'm even more lost on that analogy than I am with the moral hair-splitting of muzzle loader/inline/cartridge gun. But it does seem typical of a lot of the kind of "reasoning" being used in this context. So maybe you're intending it to be ironic. 🤔

I'm even more lost on that analogy than I am with the moral hair-splitting of muzzle loader/inline/cartridge gun. But it does seem typical of a lot of the kind of "reasoning" being used in this context. So maybe you're intending it to be ironic. 🤔
I think we were just blowing smoke here, no pun intended. Just one step beyond ‘real men shoot flintlocks”.
I don’t think anyone has a moral high horse.
Now is there shooting styles I don’t find fun? For sure. My self defense guns are tools. And are no more alive for me then a hammer. They exist to do a job, period.
However there are people who enjoy all the little details and competitions with these sort of guns.
I don’t shoot skeet, I don’t look down my nose at those who do. I have never waterfowled.
Fun for me is traditional ml. I’m a part of a community of ml shooters. And any community produces an elitism.
Sail boaters vs power boaters, hot rods vs sports cars, Vikings vs Rams

I think we were just blowing smoke here, no pun intended. Just one step beyond ‘real men shoot flintlocks”.
Sail boaters vs power boaters, hot rods vs sports cars, Vikings vs Rams
Yeah, but so frequently the serious trash-talking here escalates from the level of kidding and tongue-in-cheek friendly competition and dispute to the intensely personal, stubbornly incoherent, and name-calling intentional insult stage -- in the blink of an eye and because so many seem to be looking to take offense or demean someone else's mere preference in terms of recreation. Or because they seemingly want to exert some sort of control over what others believe or do.

That attitude seems to come from "If you don't do what I do and believe what I believe, then you're insulting and demeaning me." And this is compounded by the fact that it often takes a skilled writer to express the subtleties that may be (or may not be) intended in textual messages rather than in direct conversation and voice inflection. I have my own views about what the primary causes of this are, but won't go into them here because (I know) many would find those to be likewise insulting. But some of them are pretty obvious and have to do with demographics of the forum membership.

Last edited:
I don't own one but they have their place in the gun world. For all of you that poo-poo the in-line you are doing a disservice to the firearm community. I also don't like the modern "plastic" guns that are all the rage - give me a wood stock on my long arms and I'll be happy. As for handguns I will accept some mother of pearl or ivory grips ;) :ghostly:.

now inlines are truly an abomination ... if you have ever touched an inline, take ten points off of your man card. if you have ever fired one, take fifteen points off of your man card. if you have at one time owned on but at present are not in possession of one, take fifty points off of your man card. if you, at the current time, own one, well just turn in your man card - you don't really need it after all ...

for those who think this si a silly put- down of inlines, well, it is. what's your point?

(p.s.. ... i don't keep track of my "man card." i am comfortable enough in my own skin to shoot a flintlock, write with a fountain pen, shave with a straight razor, and work a manual transmission...

Lets see, loads from the muzzle using a ram rod, produces ignition using a percussion cap or a 209 primer ( lots of discussion now of days on converting percussion guns to accept a 209 primer due to lack of percussion caps) can be shot using black powder, or a sub (lots of discussion on the subs due to shortage of black powder)can be out fitted with a scope ( also discussion on scoped more traditional rifles for vrious reasons) shoots a bullet ( dreaded plastic sabot comes in here, but its just a progression of advancement the patch is the sabot of days gone bye)or ball depends on the shooters prefrence. Must be manually cocked, must have trigger pulled to fire. Basic firing sequence is set hammer, pull trigger trigger strikes primer, primer ignites charge, charge sends bullet down range, But the plastic stocks, we can buy production correct style guns with plastic stocks (also discussed here from time to time) So my take is yep its a muzzleloader we may not like them but there are a lot of hunters,shooters who do, there in lies the question are they true black powder folks, do they contribute to the sport, hobby and does it all trickle down one way or the other to related activities envolving black powder and the continuing of the hobbie. Each has there own ideals mine is I cut my own path and will never snub another for there means.

Don't worry, as I have read here previously, those cartridge guns are just a passing fad. They won't be around long. I'm sure those that fought in the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Mexican American War, the Civil War would have totally rejected the idea of using a "cartridge" gun. 🙃

The in-line is by far the worst because it is deceitful. It pretends to be a primitive firearm when there is nothing primitive about it. Those who have fallen under their malignant spell are not sinners, but victims of this deceit. They need not fear Hades, for they are blameless.

On the value side most inlines seem to lose most or all of their value after use. Even the parts don't sell well. Watched a auction on near dozen used ones and no bids till lot was well under $100. Local shop won't take them in on trade or consignment.

Latest posts

Back