• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No more trail cameras allowed in Utah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so. They only tell you what is in the area where you have a camera. I just started using them and have not been any more successful than I was before.

The majority of sightings are at night and unless you are a jacklighter, you will not notice a difference.
Then why bother using them.

Game cameras are good for identifying trespassers. A neighbor to the property i owned east of I-35 reported an armed trespasser, law enforcement recognized the guy as a convicted felon. Prosecutor charged the trespasser with felon in possession of a firearm and he went away for five years.

i use game cameras to survey the deer population and to pattern hogs for killing.

I have signs on each gate and each house. When a camera no longer works, I put them up in an obvious place.

You can buy broken cameras for around $10 or so.

My understanding is that when Arizona banned trail/game cameras one of the reasons given was because of a huge increase in hunter to hunter confrontations. In the arid regions like Arizona & Utah game is naturally concentrated around what little water is available which, in turn on public land, concentrates the hunters. One "water hole" had 12 different cameras around it!! Thus the increased chance of interference with each other, leading to arguments & fighting. Today's deer hunting has become an industry that is self destructing.

Kinda takes the hunt out of hunting if someone can buy multiple cameras and decide where and when to be sitting. Pretty much like shooting a package of steaks in the grocery store.
Thank you for this post! I was reluctant to post it myself knowing their would be hair raising on the back of those that use these gadgets. These modern gadgets, as you very well stated, "takes the hunt out of hunting".

Imagine that you have a couple hundred cameras, all transmitting images & video to your computer. That’s quite an asset that could easily be monetized by selling that data to hunters for less than the cost of a guided hunt. Wouldn’t take long to pay for the cameras and give you a tidy return on your investment. A person could make a nice business out of that.

Welcome to recreational (aka “sport”) hunting in the 21st century.

Good job UT & AZ. Oddly, I doubt they’ll ever do it here in CA. Anything tech-driven seems to get a free pass.

Imagine that you have a couple hundred cameras, all transmitting images & video to your computer. That’s quite an asset that could easily be monetized by selling that data to hunters for less than the cost of a guided hunt. Wouldn’t take long to pay for the cameras and give you a tidy return on your investment. A person could make a nice business out of that.

That’s been going on for a long time. They market & sell them as “scouting packages”.

Thank you for this post! I was reluctant to post it myself knowing their would be hair raising on the back of those that use these gadgets. These modern gadgets, as you very well stated, "takes the hunt out of hunting".
aint no way some person is going to tell me i cant put up a security camera on my private property
a simpler way to fix the situation would be to make a safe zone around natural water scorces
1000 yards, no cameras or firearms in any direction would take of the concentration of cameras and hunters on public land

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s been going on for a long time. They market & sell them as “scouting packages”.
Yep. I say, “imagine” because some people wouldn’t dream of such a thing. But, yes, it’s currently happening.
My version of a scouting package involves a pack stuffed with the bare essentials and a set of binoculars. Never manage to find any bucks that way but it sure is fun to get out & try.

Back