• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

No More Thompson Center Guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why the hell wouldn’t you allow inlines at your range in the first place?
Because they're cheater guns that billies use to get another Bambi. Black powder and primitive season are supposed to be JUST THAT. You shouldn't be using something that's just like a modern rifle. How hard is it to understand.

Because they're cheater guns that billies use to get another Bambi. Black powder and primitive season are supposed to be JUST THAT. You shouldn't be using something that's just like a modern rifle. How hard is it to understand.

what he said

We are strictly a Traditional Muzzleloading club. Also due to our arrangement with the landowner, we are only allowed to use round ball.
Thank you for explaining that fact to me. But FYI " Traditional " does NOT just mean shooting PRB's except for in competitions that are restricted to PRB only. Cast lead conicals & minie ball are " traditional " muzzleloading projectiles as well. FYI What you all call " traditional " muzzleloaders, ie; flint & percussion, are the evolution - " modern " versions of the " traditional " muzzleloaders/muskets that preceded them. So, to me, if one needs to pour powder, regardless of what powder, down a barrel, then stuff a bullet of any kind down that barrel, then add a cap or primer in order to fire it, its a " traditional " muzzleloader & all this narrowminded BS in here about calling inlines " unmentionables " ( like a 1920's underwear term ) & poopooing shorter barrels & everything outside of long barreled slow twist flint or percussion muzzleloaders as " abominations " is beyond ridiculous & that kind of narrowmindedness & divisiveness being created between us muzzleloader shooters really needs to stop. I'm sure this post will get some Depends twisted up in some Buckskins ( seriously funny ) & my post be deemed as " blasphemous ". ( another ridiculously inappropriate term )
If the old-timers want to play dress up like Daniel Boone & Davey Crocket & shoot their long barreled flinters with PRB's, thats great for them, but the crappy negative disregard & disrespect I constantly see, for everyone & everything thats outside of those very narrow parameters is really wrong.

Back in my day. T/C made some very nice quality muzzle loaders. A bought my first Hawkins Rifle kit and put it together. The Walnut was so good, that I was offered a good price. I wound up selling five that I put together. I kept the sixth one for years, then sold it. Well, stuff happens. The company decided what they thought pubic wanted. This happens with a lot of companies. They pay some CEO incredible amounts of money, only to find out they paid their way to destruction. Our country seems to be headed in that very direction.
Pubic?

Back in my day. T/C made some very nice quality muzzle loaders. A bought my first Hawkins Rifle kit and put it together. The Walnut was so good, that I was offered a good price. I wound up selling five that I put together. I kept the sixth one for years, then sold it. Well, stuff happens. The company decided what they thought pubic wanted. This happens with a lot of companies. They pay some CEO incredible amounts of money, only to find out they paid their way to destruction. Our country seems to be headed in that very direction.
Great post, thank you. I'd agree wholeheartedly with you. My whole fam all started out with TC .50 Hawkins which were all very well made & are still being shot today from 60yrs ago. We all got into other muzzleloaders as well, but all TC muzzleloaders. All have been well made & not a single prob with any of them, ever. TC customer service was fantastic as well as their warrantee from all I've heard & read. It was a great loss with TCA. I still own & love several TC's.

Parts are getting scarce.
I'm in need of a TC Renegade percussion R/H breech plug 3/4-16tpi for one inch barrel.

^ This is partly true, the use of Optics was another reason. I have never owned an inline, but I certainly understand why some of my friends with tired eyes use them. Most of these fellas that I hunt with have a closet full of original stuff that I would love to shoot and they do shoot them but at short range and punching paper. One friend I have whose sight is not so great went to all the trouble of mounting a Hi-Lux Malcom 6X (sp?) on an Enfield but he has the coin to do so.

Others though have no desire to understand the history and actual reason for the designated seasons.

RM
Agree. A lot of people of all ages cannot use iron sights for a variety of reasons. Vision problems are big in our society. A lot of it stems from having their face buried close to a computer screen for endless hours each day. Even fibre optics don't work for some. Thin front sights become invisible in poor light. Especially on a long barrel.

Last edited:
Parts are getting scarce.
I'm in need of a TC Renegade percussion R/H breech plug 3/4-16tpi for one inch barrel.
Just an observation, but if you are looking for a breech plug for a factory threaded TC Renegade barrel, you probably want one with a 11/16-20 thread, unless you are planning to modify the barrel and tap new threads.

Great post, thank you. I'd agree wholeheartedly with you. My whole fam all started out with TC .50 Hawkins which were all very well made & are still being shot today from 60yrs ago. We all got into other muzzleloaders as well, but all TC muzzleloaders. All have been well made & not a single prob with any of them, ever. TC customer service was fantastic as well as their warrantee from all I've heard & read. It was a great loss with TCA. I still own & love several TC's.
My first muzzle loader was a TC 50 cal Hawkens which I still have. Bought it new in 1977 and never a hiccup.

One is none, two is one.

Why I've got two of most TCs I like; Seneca excepted.

BTW an inline was the road that took me from centerfires to side locks. Eliminate/outlaw/ban the inline and some will never make it to side locks.
Good post and good point. I have good eyes but I put a touch of bright paint on the front sight of my traditional rifles if using for hunting. In poor light the front sight is hard to see. A friend of mine was using an original trapdoor to deer hunt with. They have a very fine thin front sight on the end of a long barrel. The front sight completely disappears in low light. He quit using it when he had a big buck walk out in front of him at 50 yards and he couldn't shoot because he couldn't see the front sight.

One is none, two is one.

Why I've got two of most TCs I like; Seneca excepted.

BTW an inline was the road that took me from centerfires to side locks. Eliminate/outlaw/ban the inline and some will never make it to side locks.
Good sir, I might disagree. When the inline came in, the rise of them, caused a great many traditional firearms to go away. Thompson/Center was just one company. But, I do understand your point. However, once there's no more economic side locks, you'll not get the younger shooters. [typos fixed]

Maybe three seasons, muzzleloader, flintlock/traditional only and regular firearm. Game and wildlife departments are always seeking to get more folks involved and more revenue. Flintlock season could also require a separate permit too in states such as Kansas where a regular permit will allow you to hunt whitetail only in the muzzleloader season. Our muzzleloader season is in the middle of September which is way to early. It is usually still in the 80-90 degree range in the middle of the day and most corn and bean fields are I harvested with it being way before rut has started.

Latest posts

Back