• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

No more brass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrubicon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought some brass black and gave it a whirl, I’m not nutty about brass. Although it’s not quite black it does look pretty good in person. I put everything back on the rifle to see if I like it and I do. I’m going to take it all back off and shoot it with a satin clear.

Pics

Attachments

• 6DBCC4B8-3004-40D8-8D34-062E0C371649.jpeg
    6DBCC4B8-3004-40D8-8D34-062E0C371649.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 166
  • EEFB9B00-A428-433A-86D9-EDD90CEFB3FA.jpeg
    EEFB9B00-A428-433A-86D9-EDD90CEFB3FA.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 2620B498-66CE-4884-86E2-0C44ACFB590C.jpeg
    2620B498-66CE-4884-86E2-0C44ACFB590C.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 177
I'm not a fan of lots of brass either so I'm really likin' how you did the brass there.

I don't love the brassy shiny look so I just let the brass patina over time with sweat, use, and whatever black powder residue gets on it. Takes a while but it's the appearance that I like.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, do you polish the brass first or can you just go over the tarnish? I would think you would have to clean it first. Thanks

Sometimes brass is appropriate and other times not. I like these old time guns and will use them as they were used in the day. An early long rifle needs brass mounts and a plains rifle I prefer browned or blued mounts. My brass is never mirror bright even when first finished then over time gets maintained to look like it would with careful use. Today’s standards applied to yesterday’s guns defeats the purpose of playing this game to me.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, do you polish the brass first or can you just go over the tarnish? I would think you would have to clean it first. Thanks
I went over everything with #4 steel wool, then cleaned in acetone.

I like brass but don't polish it; I just let it patina naturally. On two of my rifles that were mounted in brass I "blackened" all the brass to see whether I liked it or not. One will likely stay blackened but I'll eventually polish the black off the other. Some guns simply DO need to be and should be iron mounted. SMRs are a good example of rifles that need to be iron.

Rather than use "Brass Black", of which I had none, I used BC Aluminum Black and it did a quick and excellent job of making the brass look like dark brown steel. I figured why buy brass black when I already had essentially the same thing. It also seems to hold up well to normal FW&T.

Good job. Thanks for sharing those pics. I bought some brass black for a couple projects I'm working on but haven't used it yet. Based on your project I think I am gonna like it.

Latest posts

Back