• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

No longer a virgin!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigD63

Red Ryder .177
Reaction score
I finally took my T/C .50 Hawken flintlock all the way! I feel like a man now!
flintlock.jpg

I was needlessly apprehensive about the pan flash...I hardly noticed it!
I loaded 70gr of 2f (schuetzen) with a .495 ball and .015 lubed patch. Rifle was primed with 4f.
I took five standing shots at a 8in plate at 25yds. I missed only one. Using my own math (I count only the ones I hit), my shooting was a perfect 4/4...those are my calculations and I'm sticking to them...lol.
When hunting 591ml water filled gatorade bottles, I hit 5/5 at 25yds from kneeling position...and then I snapped off my jag loading my 10th shot, rendering my range rod pratically useless. I don't trust the wooden rod, so called it a day
I did have a few miss fires, spark but no ignition, but experience and advice should cure that.
I had a great time and I am glad I now have a flintlock to accompagny my percussion .50. No worries about perc cap shortages!

Last edited:
I finally took my T/C .50 Hawken flintlock all the way! I feel like a man now!View attachment 178910
I was needlessly apprehensive about the pan flash...I hardly noticed it!
I loaded 70gr of 2f (schuetzen) with a .495 ball and .015 lubed patch. Rifle was primed with 4f.
I took five standing shots at a 8in plate at 25yds. I missed only one. Using my own math (I count only the ones I hit), my shooting was a perfect 4/4...those are my calculations and I'm sticking to them...lol.
When hunting 591ml water filled gatorade bottles, I hit 5/5 at 25yds from kneeling position...and then I snapped off my jag loading my 10th shot, rendering my range rod pratically useless. I don't trust the wooden rod, so called it a day
I did have a few miss fires, spark but no ignition, but experience and advice should cure that.
I had a great time and I am glad I now have a flintlock to accompagny my percussion .50. No worries about perc cap shortages!
It's a plum delight to see some one shoot a flint gun! I've been shooting Muzzle loaders for over fifty years and the whole experience only gets more grand with age !

Welcome to the club. There is something seriously special about shooting these dang things.

Just one Flash-Boom was all it took!
What suprised me most, besides the accuracy, was how little the flash distracted me.
Before each shot there was a slight tension as to whether I properly performed the required tasks that would allow the flint to spark against the frizzen, thus igniting the primer causing the black powder to convert to white smoke and noise! Glorious! And when the flint went 'click' and was not followed by a flash-boom, I felt optimistic that the next time would be different! I think I'm going to enjoy this voyage...

Flintlocks are special. Shooting can be just, well, shooting. But with a flintlock rifle it has fun rolled into it. I love the flintlocks to the point that a longrifle without a flint lock mounted on it simply does not look right. You just now took the first step; very soon you will tumble into it head first.

An thus it starts.
From here on in it can only get deeper. :eek:
:eek:

Looks like the flintlock bug bit…don’t worry…you will be get’n another one soon!

What are you guys talking about? I got my first ever flintlock rifle a year and a half ago and waited a whole six weeks before I decided I needed a flintlock pistol to go with it. After that it took another 3 months before I bought another flintlock rifle, and then a couple more after that.

OK, maybe you do have a point.

Latest posts

Back