NO LOGIC AT ALL. I THINK

Discussion in 'General Muzzleloading' started by Dr5x, Dec 12, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Dec 22, 2019 #61

L Rupp

L Rupp

L Rupp

36 Cl. MLF Supporter

In regards to the early days of bench rest shooting.... "Stand on your hind legs and shoot like a man"... Mr. H Pope

2. Dec 22, 2019 #62

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

There was a shooting match in 1477 held in Eichstadtm, Brandenburg (Germany). The distance was 200 paces.

"In feudal areas, during th 16th and 16th centuries, Casle motes were the most often selected for rifle ranges. The place selected was enclosed by a wall, hedge or wooden fence as a safety measure. An hour glas or clock was provided to allocate the time for each shot. The most popular distance for shooting was 150-200 paces..." ("Pictorial History of the RIFLE", © G.W.P.Swenson, 1972. p 42)

tenngun likes this.
  3. Dec 23, 2019 #63

Coot

Coot

Coot

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

The first international match at Creedmore was in 1874, between the US & Ireland. The US team used Remington Rolling Blocks and Sharps, the Irish, muzzleloading Rigby rifles. Ranges were 800, 900 & 1000 yards. Rules allowed any shooting position but no artifical rests - hence the "strange" (to us today) position of lying on ones' back & resting the barrel on ones' boots was common.

tenngun likes this.
  4. Dec 23, 2019 #64

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

Yes. I know that but I'm kinda covering my eyes to the facts because the cut off date for the Muzzleloading Forum is 1865 so we really shouldn't be discussing the Creedmore event that took place in 1874. The Rolling blocks also used primed cartridges, another thing we aren't supposed to discuss on the forum.

Let's please get off duscussions about the long range Creedmore and other events that took place after 1865. I wouldn't want to have to remove this topic.

5. Dec 23, 2019 #65

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

And that brings up an interesting quandary.
    I didn’t know there were muzzelloaders in Creedmoor matches, I had only seen the breechloaders.
    Are the big bench target rifles traditional ml?
    The only time I’ve seen reference to loading tube was in these big guns, and as I said I understood them tho have gotten big in the 1890s or so.
    But there were some match locks made with built in rest to set on a bench. They were shooting smoothies at thes two hundred yard plus ranges.
    I can’t think of any advantage a loading tube could make, and don’t know when they were invented.
    But are they ‘traditional’, are loading blocks( may be early but can’t be proved before about 1870) or starters (I think 1845+ is the earliest we can prove these in modren form).... hmm
    Many of our minnie balls and are maxies or real are post 1865, but we feed them to our traditional guns.
    Just for sake of argument, let us pretend that the NMLRA invented them in 1940 for there bench rest ml competition are they ok to talk about or use?

6. Dec 23, 2019 #66

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

69 Cal.

TFoley likes this.
  7. Dec 23, 2019 #67

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

I guess ‘off hand’ was an exaggeration vs no artificial supports.
    Some how I hear Santa Claus from A Christmas Story’ telling me ‘you’ll shoot your foot off kid’.

8. Dec 23, 2019 #68

TFoley

TFoley

TFoley

62 Cal.

Indeed. The moat at the tower of London actually enclosed the rifle range, where, in WW2, a number of spies where executed by firing squad.

Draft saved Draft deleted