• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No Hunting Sign

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that this thread was meant for laughs. Has anyone heard of using purple paint to mark a property for no hunting? I’m in PA and was told this is a real thing. What if you are color blind? A splash of paint seems stupid

Kansas has used the purple post as an indicator of no hunting on the property. It means you may only hunt there with written permission from the owner. In reality you need permission to trespass to hunt and may not hunt unposted property without permission.

Well, Maine is very different than the rest of you. Most of it is privately owned but open to hunting. People have to eat. Its not a bunch of deer ranches leased like Texas. Its not a pile of keep off my land like "some states". We get along. We don't litigate. We don't litter. We go onto adjoining property unless its specifically posted. We don't tear it up with 4X4's. We enjoy going next door to put venison in our freezers, catch native trout, and respect our opportunity to do so. We return to help the guy who owns it put a roof on or split his wood because he had a stroke and can no longer do it himself.
Its the way things should be up here, long before the rest of the U.S. got baked. Its normal up here to go anywhere you are not challenged by a hippie sign.
You should try it. We all get along. I'll never go back to that rest of the country. 2 cents.

Dont take this the wrong way...but I am curious how many acres of Maine do you own?

I grew up on South Texas ranches. The more property you have, the more stories you have about trespassers and poachers. I have held them at gunpoint for the sheriff and been shot at by them too.

It’s always the folks that don’t own land that complain about not having access to it the most.

My gates all have a simple hand painted sign with white lettering on an old piece of wood with one word on it that everyone understands the meaning of...

PELIGRO

(Edit: For those like me who don't speak Spanish, the word says, "DANGER". Zonie )

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me that those who would ignore such issues are the so called trans plants that are fleeing the northern tier and poorly run states, nothing wrong with that but do not bring your bull sh33 beliefs and policies with you, You are the ones that need to change not the folks who have lived in those areas and their families for generations. Seen this happen when we lived in the North Carolina coastal area many years ago, when there we were the transplants but we respected the views and beliefs of the locals. Over the years we return for visits every summer and you can see this sort of thing going on there it is not the locals but the idiots who migrate there. So either respect the land and its owners or go back to where you came from.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've had only one bad experience here in southeastern Vermont, when we first bought the property. I had very expensive livestock (high end alpacas) and we posted the land for safety reasons... all the neighbors did because they didn't like icky guns... one morning just before dawn the stock dog went nuts, and the house dog was very agitated... went down to the barn and both dogs were pointed in a more or less easterly direction barking to beat the Devil ... took a stroll down that way and found some flatlander sitting in a screw in stand... four or five empty beer cans at the base of the tree ...

i told him that the owner was a psychotic madman who'd sooner blow him to perdition as look at him, and if he had half a lick of sense, he get gone before something went really wrong really fast... he claimed that he had the owner's permission to be here, that he'd been here for years, and he'd do what he wanted because this was a free country, and bla bla bla ...

it was about three weeks before the deer season opened, and i told him that he did not in fact have the owner's permission, and i would know, inasmuch as I AM the owner, and we could wait for the game warden, or he could leave now. clear that rifle and let the bolt fall free... Win Mag 300 ... round chambered, safety off...

he was so drunk he didn't know which direction was North... i was a sporting fellow: i didn't shoot his sorry a$$. (but i did hang onto the bolt)

never had a problem since, so i guess it was a one off, but i still have the property posted ... it's not the round with your name on it that should concern you: it's the one that says "to whom it might concern."

Okay. Now I like you again.;)
Ames my old friend - it's all a matter of perspective.....
There were parts of upstate New York that I thought were quite grand - then I realized there were mostly New Yorkers living there - so I left and came back to Texas....
My brother in law lives in Lubec - his property where he raises Morgans is between Lubec and Whiting.

When I was a young one - 8 or 10 I guess, I went with my uncle to ride fence and check stock water tanks.
One area of the ranch was very hilly and had several mesas and gullies on it.
As we rode into one of the gullies, my uncle spotted a pickup down in the bottom of the draw.
We had been having issues with deer poachers and trash dumpers both - this could have been either.
Uncle Ray leaned over and told me he was going to shoot a rabbit or two for dinner and saw a couple down in the gully.
He pulled his saddle-ring 30/30 from the sheath and proceeded to put the best part of a full box of 30 caliber rounds into the truck.
When he got done he looked over at me and claimed that his sights were probably off cause he never did hit that rabbit.
He turned and we rode up the hill and finished our rounds.
20 years later the truck was still sitting in the bottom of the gully - rusting peacefully away from the creek rising and falling.

I would be willing to bet that whomever owned that truck learned a lesson - or at least gained a new respect for ranchers and private property.

Over the years, many would stop at the ranch house - some we knew and some we did not - and asked permission to go take a deer or go hiking or camping.
Not one single time did paw-paw or Uncle Ray say no - just asked them to watch out for livestock and make sure if they opened a gate - they closed it back. He would also ask them if they were going to do any target shooting that they go down the low side of the gully and shoot at the old truck down there instead of putting targets on the fence posts because it damaged them.

Purple paint is new for Pennsylvania and as a farmer I welcome it. I let people hunt if they stop and ask. But if they sneak in and go where they are not supposed to go and when I run them off I'm told that they have a license I have a problem with that!!

Well, Maine is very different than the rest of you. Most of it is privately owned but open to hunting. People have to eat. Its not a bunch of deer ranches leased like Texas. Its not a pile of keep off my land like "some states". We get along. We don't litigate. We don't litter. We go onto adjoining property unless its specifically posted. We don't tear it up with 4X4's. We enjoy going next door to put venison in our freezers, catch native trout, and respect our opportunity to do so. We return to help the guy who owns it put a roof on or split his wood because he had a stroke and can no longer do it himself.
Its the way things should be up here, long before the rest of the U.S. got baked. Its normal up here to go anywhere you are not challenged by a hippie sign.
You should try it. We all get along. I'll never go back to that rest of the country. 2 cents.
Ya'll must not run cattle in Maine. Fences keep cattle on your land which is usually leased for hunting. Yeah cattle ain't cheap, and rustling still goes on.

Purple paint is new for Pennsylvania and as a farmer I welcome it. I let people hunt if they stop and ask. But if they sneak in and go where they are not supposed to go and when I run them off I'm told that they have a license I have a problem with that!!
Yes purple means posted: trespassers keep out. It doesn't mean you will get shot on sight, but you might be asked to leave if you don't have permission.

I always wondered if I would hot wired some hunters vehicle when they sneak in on me how would they feel about that., or if I took one of my tractors and blocked them in. They would probably have an issue.

Saw a sign at an old country store in NH that read: Anyone caught here at night, will be found here in the morning.

I live in WV and we have the purple paint law. I like it, as a land owner it is a poster signs that lasts for many years, signs blow off and have to be replaced yearly sometimes, paint doesn’t!

(but i did hang onto the bolt)
[/QUOTE]
Still got the bolt?

Can always tell when hnting season is near in Montana. All the gate posts turn blaze orange on the tops. That means "private property", and no crossing without the owner's permission.

I always wondered if I would hot wired some hunters vehicle when they sneak in on me how would they feel about that., or if I took one of my tractors and blocked them in. They would probably have an issue.
For us the hunters sneaking in were not nearly as destructive as the punks with the AKs. They seemed to take great joy in shooting the bases out of the fence posts, or poking holes in the stock tanks. We kept a box of 1/4" bolts and roofing washers handy to plug the holes.
For the most part when we caught them or heard them we called the local warden and if there was any damage anywhere near them, they were arrested. At minimum, if they showed remorse, they would get a ticket for trespassing and a warning that the next time they were caught the charges would be felony trespass because of the marked property.
My uncle had had a different way of warning them, he had his carbine.....

When I lived in the Catskill Mtns of NY we posted every 100 ft bright red signs around our perimeter and every 30 ft or so within a 1/4 mile of the house. Even so we put orange vests on the dogs when they were out in their runs.... we still had two bullet holes in the shed. Some people should not go hunting.

Well there are some good hunters. I have a man and his son hunt on me. They don't cause any problems they even offer me some deer meat and when they go fishing up north they bring me back some smoked salmon. They don't have to but I do appreciate it and they are always welcome to hunt my farm. If more hunters would get to know the people who own the property, and not necessarily give them part of their game however it does go a long way to make a good friendship it would be easier to find good places to hunt.

I left Maine just after our first energy crisis/recession, kinda broke with tradition as our family has lived in the same town there since 1783 where they owned a lot of land at one time. I guess they were fed up with Massachusetts and pulled out though they were still in the same state. I just sold the last of my holdings there 6 months ago and my sister still lives in the town. When I was growing up there were no "No Trespassing" signs, we played where we felt like it and nobody objected. It was understood hunters had free reign in November, didn't have to ask permission and there were no objections to them crossing or hunting on your land. The season was the month of November, both sexes and most hunted for meat. Mothers kept the children out of the woods that month, actually nobody went into the woods unless they had business there during the season.

There was a large gravel pit on the hill behind our home and I went there shooting as soon as I was able to carry a gun. Back then a 14 year old kid carrying a gun down the road was not an issue, just going shooting or hunting. Fast forward many years after I moved. I was vacationing and a friend lent me a Winchester 95 and a box of ammo so I went to the gravel pit to burn it up. Before I got down to the house my mother had gotten a phone call wanting to know if I was back in town.

Times change and I expect Maine isn't the same as I remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back