• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

No Electronic ML Ignitions in CO

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion, Powerbelts are the absolutely worst projectile for hunting. The fact that you found five wounded elk with Powerbelts doesn't surprise me too much. Horrible thing to shoot something with.

Greenmtnboy said:
On a personal note out of the six wounded,lost, left bull elk I have found, five had power belts and one had an illigal sabot in the body.
All projectiles I found three in the gutts one in the rear spine two in the ass, one was a femer shot so I'm sure it diden't go far. :bull:

Bullets found in the guts are poorly placed shots.

"Sabot" in the body tells me they were were shooting to much body as this is typical with powerbelts as a strong load partially breaks away the gas seal but still stays attached to the bullet. I use these for hunting and so i have a decent amount of knowledge on them.

As for the post about PB's being the worse projectile for hunting, thats a huge laugh! and i throw a huge :bull: flag out on that!

To many inliner fools out there trying to push a pure lead Hollow Point conical faster than what it was made for. Plus they feel they need 150 grains of powder for their short distance 30 yard shots :haha:

Also, It really tears me up when i see a city slicker coming to Colorado with his inline, loaded with 150 grains LOOSE powder and a 245 grain HP powerbelt and they say, This should be more than enough!!
:shake:

Kentuckywindage said:
Greenmtnboy said:
On a personal note out of the six wounded,lost, left bull elk I have found, five had power belts and one had an illigal sabot in the body.
All projectiles I found three in the gutts one in the rear spine two in the ass, one was a femer shot so I'm sure it diden't go far. :bull:

Bullets found in the guts are poorly placed shots.

"Sabot" in the body tells me they were were shooting to much body as this is typical with powerbelts as a strong load partially breaks away the gas seal but still stays attached to the bullet. I use these for hunting and so i have a decent amount of knowledge on them.

As for the post about PB's being the worse projectile for hunting, thats a huge laugh! and i throw a huge :bull: flag out on that!

To many inliner fools out there trying to push a pure lead Hollow Point conical faster than what it was made for. Plus they feel they need 150 grains of powder for their short distance 30 yard shots :haha:

Also, It really tears me up when i see a city slicker coming to Colorado with his inline, loaded with 150 grains LOOSE powder and a 245 grain HP powerbelt and they say, This should be more than enough!!

I agree 100 percent

bigbore442001 said:
In my opinion, Powerbelts are the absolutely worst projectile for hunting. The fact that you found five wounded elk with Powerbelts doesn't surprise me too much. Horrible thing to shoot something with.

I hate powerbelts, the cup on the back dislodges inconsistantly creating poor accuracy.
They also expand way to fast sometimes having little or no penitration. Somthing powerbelt says they have addressed with their new more expensive line of bullets :bull:
As a twenty year elk guide I have seen this time and time again.
I have worked with clients who insist on inlines, to slow their charge down and shoot all lead projectiles. Usally with excellant accuracy.
And to keep their shots at resonable distances no matter what some ingornate jackass tell them at Sportsmans warehouse.

Kentuckywindage said:

:hatsoff:

" I fear for the future of PRB and hunting."

Places like this forum can help a gtreat deal by promoting the PROPER use of the pRB and really push to get the concept of ML hunting being a step back into an earlier technology, and keeping the shots close and not taking the iffy shots particulary to the newcommers who stop here for advise as the hunting season approaches, there are a lot of conical slinging die hards who will not accept the fact that the ball is quite enough to take deer or Elk if the hunter does his part, they certainly don't help with the promotion of traditional hunting by pushing this skewed view of ML hunting, 25-30 years ago there was not even a question of whether or not the ball was sufficient in most ML circles, I suggest that those who are familiar with the PRB and don't have to use a conical to kill their game and have discovered how to use the old technology, really push hard for the use of the PRB here and everywhere there is a chance to influence those who have been swayed from the facts or are just starting out, there may still be a chance for the real ML hunting experience to stay alive.

I hate powerbelts, the cup on the back dislodges inconsistantly creating poor accuracy.
They also expand way to fast sometimes having little or no penitration. Somthing powerbelt says they have addressed with their new more expensive line of bullets :bull:
As a twenty year elk guide I have seen this time and time again.
I have worked with clients who insist on inlines, to slow their charge down and shoot all lead projectiles. Usally with excellant accuracy.
And to keep their shots at resonable distances no matter what some ingornate jackass tell them at Sportsmans warehouse.
My son shot a bull at 30 yards this year broadside with a wide open shot behind the shoulder. He was shooting.54 Great Plains bullet. We found blood but after searching for 2 1/2 days no elk Anyone have a bullet that will penetrate a bulls rib cage

IDAHO:

LEGAL IN MUZZLELOADER-ONLY SEASONS
A muzzle loading rifle or musket which:

1. Is capable of being loaded ONLY from the muzzle.
  2. Is equipped with a single or double-barrel.
  3. Is loaded ONLY with loose black powder OR other loose synthetic black powder.
  4. Is loaded with a patched round ball OR a conical, unjacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. No sabots.
  5. Is loaded with a projectile that is within .010 of an inch of the bore diameter.
  6. Is equipped ONLY with a flint OR a percussion cap OR a musket cap. 209 primers are prohibited.
  7. Is equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire.
  8. Has no scope, only open or peep sights. Fiber optic open sites are permitted.
  9. Is free of any electronic devices.
  10. Is at least forty-five (.45) caliber for deer, antelope, or mountain lion.
  11. Is at least fifty (.50) caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear.

My son shot a bull at 30 yards this year broadside with a wide open shot behind the shoulder. He was shooting.54 Great Plains bullet. We found blood but after searching for 2 1/2 days no elk Anyone have a bullet that will penetrate a bulls rib cage
Post withdrawn....never mind....been covered in a hundred other threads

IDAHO:

LEGAL IN MUZZLELOADER-ONLY SEASONS
A muzzle loading rifle or musket which:

1. Is capable of being loaded ONLY from the muzzle.
  2. Is equipped with a single or double-barrel.
  3. Is loaded ONLY with loose black powder OR other loose synthetic black powder.
  4. Is loaded with a patched round ball OR a conical, unjacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. No sabots.
  5. Is loaded with a projectile that is within .010 of an inch of the bore diameter.
  6. Is equipped ONLY with a flint OR a percussion cap OR a musket cap. 209 primers are prohibited.
  7. Is equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire.
  8. Has no scope, only open or peep sights. Fiber optic open sites are permitted.
  9. Is free of any electronic devices.
  10. Is at least forty-five (.45) caliber for deer, antelope, or mountain lion.
  11. Is at least fifty (.50) caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear.
That has to be the most concisely written, proper, fair, and all encompassing muzzleloader only season regulations I have ever seen. Kudo's to Idaho.

Back