• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No Electronic ML Ignitions in CO

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Colorado DOW was originally going to allow electronic ignitions in muzzleloading rifles for the 2008 Muzzleloading Season, but has changed it's mind. No problem for me, I use the older kind of sparker. Here's a link:
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/

Good deal!! As far as I'm concerned a primitive hunt should use traditional guns. IIRC, Colorado doesn't allow sabots either. I've never hunted there but have a good buddy who M/L hunts elk there every year. Another good friend took a very nice 4 X 4 last year with his new .54 flinter. Emery

Colorado's hunting season is far from being primitive. We just have limits such as, No sabots, no smokeless,no scopes and no pellets.

Did they repeal the rule about no conicals longer than 2 times their diameter? I like the direction their rules are taking. I wish other states would get in on the action. I don't mind sharing the season with those who use modern "muzzleloaders" as long as they are subject to similar limitations as myself. No optics, smokeless, pellets, etc., are good rules IMO.

Projectile can not exceed twice the bores diameter. What difference that makes if beyond me. Now that one is a BS rule and even the DOW can not answer.

The reason, as I understand it, that bullet length is limited, is because then it is too much like a modern bullet. Longer bullets of the same caliber are typically more efficient ballistically than a shorter bullet of that caliber, and so to keep the CO ML season more "primitive", only roundballs and shorter conical bullets are allowed.
I was told by one of the older CDOW officers here that when a seperate ML season was first proposed way back when, there was a lot of opposition to it from the high power hunters, who only accepted it once they were assured that the season would be kept primitive. This was before inlines and sabots, although iron sighted inlines are now legal here.

"Projectile can not exceed twice the bores diameter. What difference that makes if beyond me'

As stated above it is intended to eliminate the modern style bullets,this and many anti modern ML gear regs are an attempt to maintion at least a shread of the primitive aspect of the season, there was a time when no one would have thought of using a long bullet in a ML season... or a lot of other stuff that is now allowed.The New stuff has come to be nearly the same ballisticaly and sight outfited as many centerfires which is not quite what was intended.It is no longer a case of using a "different" type of gun except that it loads from the front in many states, and that is only a small part of what makes a ML a ML for those who really grasp the ML season concept.

I think you would then have what was historicaly called a Lozenge ball

Kentuckywindage said:
Projectile can not exceed twice the bores diameter. What difference that makes if beyond me. Now that one is a BS rule and even the DOW can not answer.

:bow:
when I moved here in 1988 it was exposed hammer only now it's :bull: inlines
nothing trad about our season.
idiots hucking two hundred yrds because some jackass on the out door death network says you can.
Now we have more cases of wounded elk during muzzleloader season than ever before and guess who gets the blame. not inlines but round ball huckers.
:bull:

Oregon, Washington, and Idaho have done a pretty good job at keeping it "primitive" BUT I think an easier way to "MEASURE" this is in the effective range of the weapon....
With open NON-fiberoptic sights, No Scopes, Open ignition, Limited conical length, NO plastics (bases OR sabots), NO pelletized powder, NO Dbl Barrels...I guess that THAT is the jist of it; Well the effective range for MOST folks will be 100 to MAYBE 125 yards. No 250 yard kills with BP most likely. AND the joy of a potential misfire due to the elements :wink:
Over all I like it!!
Now let it be said that the Oregon Department of waste and fraud errrr fish and game couldnt raise a goldfish in a bowl, but they got it right on these regs. :grin:

They got it right because they actually ASKED what we wanted. They did a survey about 10 years ago (maybe more, memory is a tad foggy).

Basically, unrestricted inlines=increased hunter success=less muzzleloader tags to go around OR primitive season = better chance at a tag. What do you want? Guess the better chance at a draw won out.

You still run into people at the range that have drawn a muzzleloader tag THEN went and got the gun so there are people who are only doing it for the extra tag and not for any love of muzzleloading or history.

"but they got it right on these regs."

They made some progress but have a long way to go for a real Traditional season.

Wattsy said:
Now let it be said that the Oregon Department of waste and fraud errrr fish and game couldnt raise a goldfish in a bowl, but they got it right on these regs. :grin:

:haha:
Sounds like the greedy clowns running our show.
Must be related, oh ya government what was I thinking.

Greenmtnboy said:
Wattsy said:

:haha:
Sounds like the greedy clowns running our show.
Must be related, oh ya government what was I thinking.
:haha: :haha: :haha: :thumbsup:

I kinda wish Texas would have an actual "Primative" season. Here it's Anything loaded from the front end, but anything loaded into a cylinder is not a muzzle loader. No othing about calibers that are lawful, nothing about flinters or cap locks, just can't use a revolver. About all you see anymore is center fire muzzle loading sabot flingers.

GreenmountainBoy:

Has anyone in the Colorado fish and game do an actual study on this situation? Did they look into whether the blame is on inline users or tradtional shooters? I think hunters and the game department needs to look at this objectively.

I would hate to see traditional shooters get blamed for such wounding because some bright boy in the future may state that round balls will be banned due to the wounding. Don't laugh but it could happen.

As far as the electronic ignition, it just rubs me the wrong way.

in gmus where i hunt dow peopleare aware of the issues with long shots taken by inlines, and are aware of a lot more woulded elk beacuse of this. no blame on trditionalists (ye). can not do anything about this in field except to suggest to inliners to keep it real and not make shots over 100 yards.

No real study has been done, PRB vs Inlines but with the bad rap from gun dealers Toby bridges and the general lazyness of new muzzleloaders I fear for the future of PRB and hunting.
On a personal note out of the six wounded,lost, left bull elk I have found, five had power belts and one had an illigal sabot in the body.
All projectiles I found three in the gutts one in the rear spine two in the ass, one was a femer shot so I'm sure it diden't go far. :bull:

Back