• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No Bang on 1st Strike.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except for the unfortunate one who posted pictures of his thumb split open as he was seating a cap... I want to say it was on the sass wire but it may have been another site. Anyway, it’s often too early to say “never”.
I saw a picture of and it pretty nasty. He lost the thumb back to the joint.
His alias is Cuts Crooked and he posted it on the Cowboy Action City forum a couple of years ago as i recall.
Admittedly it was an anomaly but I use a capper and that brass loading rod thingy to seat caps.
Bunk

I saw a picture of and it pretty nasty. He lost the thumb back to the joint.
His alias is Cuts Crooked and he posted it on the Cowboy Action City forum a couple of years ago as i recall.
Admittedly it was an anomaly but I use a capper and that brass loading rod thingy to seat caps.
Bunk
His alias is probably updated to “Cuts REALLY Crooked” now... you’ll never know how much you use an appendage until it’s mucked up.

As I have posted previously, if this was a real risk liability insurance would make it impossible to buy caps. Zonie did a crush test. They only go bang when struck.
It was an anomaly and the hot gas escaping through the nipple did extensive damage.
However since stercus accidit I will continue to use a capper and a brass rod to firmly carefully seat the caps.
Yes they are PERCUSSION caps and crushing usually will not set them off but I would encourage care.
That real Black Stuff is an explosive. The can says so.
Call me Ten fingers
Bunk

Gentlemen,
Since all my C&B revolvers are match conditioned and fitted with a hammer stop , Slixshot nipples, and lightened mainsprings my testing is somewhat restricted.
I know for a certain fact that all the revolvers work with Remington #10 caps 100% but I hate to waste them rolling cans and busting bottles.
I am not of a humor to reset the hammer stop for a thicker stronger original mainspring..
That is too much trouble so it may be with RWS 1075 caps I will be satisfied with the first strike is a FTF and second strike will fire and that is the order of the day.
Likewise I do not want to spend a rediculious amount on a new unmodified gun to see if the RWS caps will work. That game is not worth the candle.
If there is someone in the central Texas area that wants to test I will donate a couple of boxes for them to test.
Message me.
Hold Center
Hit Center
Of Course
That is where I was holding
Bunk

This is my final test using RWS 1075 caps on Slixshot nipples. The guns used were three Pietta snub nose revolvers one 1860 Army and two 1851 Navy all.44 caliber. All were match conditioned by the same gun smith except the Army main spring was replaced with an original heavier spring. All six chambers were capped with RWS 1075 caps and firmly seated on the nipple.

The 1860 Army fired once on the first strike and fired five on the second strike in no particular order.

1851 Navy # XXX63 gave the same results one fired the first strike five fired on the second strike, again in no particular order

1851 Navy #XXX62 fired once on the first strike, four times on the second strike and once on the third strike also in no particular order.

The two numbers are the last numbers of the serial number to keep the pair separated. The Army was a single gun not one of a pair.

These are my results with my guns with my lot number caps.

You may have better results but I will continue to use RWS 1075 caps and accept the mis-fires.

If the RWS 1075 caps work for you good luck. In my storage is three or four tins of CCI #11 caps that work quite well on Slixshot nipples. When they run out the RWS caps will be used.

Respectfully submitted

Bunk

Most reproduction revolvers have crappy nipples. Try some aftermarket nipples that recommend a specific cap and use that cap. You really want them to fit snugly to avoid chainfires, but you should not have to push them on with a dowel... which many do anyway. I do something similar with some of my long guns that need new nipples... nothing lasts forever.

As I have posted previously, if this was a real risk liability insurance would make it impossible to buy caps. Zonie did a crush test. They only go bang when struck.
There are real risks involved in every aspect of the shooting sports. Yet everything we need is still available to us. Except percussion caps. Hey! Wait a minute! You don’t suppose?…

Back