• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

No. 11 Caps on a Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boom Stick

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Almost pulled the trigger on the purchase of a Pedersoli 1841 Mississippi Rifle Friday. While doing some research I discovered that the 8 tins of CCI Musket percussion caps I bought are apparently garbage for actually slinging lead, more for noise making. I searched the web and could not find any musket caps, other than CCIs, for sale anywhere on the web. Got discourage and held off on the purchase of the rifle. Since then I got the idea to search for a musket nipple that would fit a No. 11 percussion cap and thus, hopefully, allow for the firing of the rifle for time when musket caps are scarce and personal supplies have dwindled.

My question for those that own a musket, especially an 1841 Mississippi, and have installed and used such a nipple on theirs that allow them to use a No. 11 percussion cap to fire/shoot it, what were the results? Were you able to get reliable ignition using this set up?

I wouldn't look at this as a permanent change or modification to the rifle, but more of an Option B for times like now when musket caps are scarce or non-existent so that I can switch out the nipple and keep shooting as I do have a good supply of No. 11 caps.

Ditch the #11 cap idea.

There is no shortage of musket caps.

Buy some quality caps and go shooting.

Graf's and Sons sells Schuetzen musket caps.

Last brick I bought was 15 cent each.

My $0.02 would be to get a nipple for No.11 caps in case down the road, the availability situation is such that you can more easily get them but not get musket caps. Likewise, having the No.11 nipple would allow you to use homemade caps. AFAIK, there isn't a tool to homebrew musket caps.

Options are good.

I would have to be really, really desperate to go down the #11 path given they are difficult to find now. Musket caps are plentiful. I usually buy about 10k/year. Sounds like a lot, but when you're actively competing and practicing and instructing, it's not a stretch.

Back to the #11s, if you think the CCI reenactor caps are bad, the #11s are just as bad in a musket. They have no more priming compound and are no more energetic than the reenactor caps in live fire. Sure, they'll go bang, but there's a reason nobody uses them in competition.....

. Since then I got the idea to search for a musket nipple that would fit a No. 11 percussion cap and thus, hopefully, allow for the firing of the rifle for time when musket caps are scarce and personal supplies have dwindled.

My question for those that own a musket, especially an 1841 Mississippi, and have installed and used such a nipple on theirs that allow them to use a No. 11 percussion cap to fire/shoot it, what were the results? Were you able to get reliable ignition using this set up?

I wouldn't look at this as a permanent change or modification to the rifle, but more of an Option B for times like now when musket caps are scarce or non-existent so that I can switch out the nipple and keep shooting as I do have a good supply of No. 11 caps.
Almost pulled the trigger on the purchase of a Pedersoli 1841 Mississippi Rifle Friday. While doing some research I discovered that the 8 tins of CCI Musket percussion caps I bought are apparently garbage for actually slinging lead, more for noise making. I searched the web and could not find any musket caps, other than CCIs, for sale anywhere on the web. Got discourage and held off on the purchase of the rifle

Almost pulled the trigger on the purchase of a Pedersoli 1841 Mississippi Rifle Friday. While doing some research I discovered that the 8 tins of CCI Musket percussion caps I bought are apparently garbage for actually slinging lead, more for noise making. I searched the web and could not find any musket caps, other than CCIs, for sale anywhere on the web. Got discourage and held off on the purchase of the rifle

I have shot muskets a long time and used CCI musket caps and the German NOBEL CAPS. TRUE NOBEL is hotter but I have had no problems with the CCI caps using 2f and 3f black powder. That includes my 1841 Pedersoli.

Despite all the internet wisdom to the contrary I have had no issues with CCI Musket caps setting off my rifles and shotgun equipped with Musket nipples.

It's not a question of ignition but one of reliable accuracy. Choose your comfort level here. In competition, CCI is dead last choice.

Despite all the internet wisdom to the contrary I have had no issues with CCI Musket caps setting off my rifles and shotgun equipped with Musket nipples.
I just bought 3000 CCI Musket caps in the Midway sale

I've been using these "garbage " caps for 5 years now , my Enfield types work fine with them .

If I lose 2" off my groups I probably won't even notice , I usually use them in Musketoons to blast 100 yard targets with Minies. I worry so little about this that the cap box on my Enfield cartridge box sling is full of a mix of Rio and CCI caps.

Back