• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NMLRA?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curator

45 Cal.
Reaction score
How many of you/us belong to the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Assoiciation? If not, why not? Is there a muzzleloading shooting club within 50 miles of where you live?

That Org has lost a great deal of its following over the last decade or so, many members did not care for the direction/position it took on the modern ML guns, and possibly some other issues, right or wrong that seems to be the situation, let's not have another knock down drag out on the pros and cons here no one is going to change anyone elses mind at this point

i was a member for about 10 years. then they made shift to all flintlock even went so far as bad mouthing cap guns so i did not renew membership.

I'm a life time member of both the NMLRA and the NRA. I haven't hooked up with a muzzleloading club in my area, anyone know a good one around Quantico Marine Corps Base in VA?

Life member NRA and member NMLRA. It seems Wisconsin also has a state assoc, but they do not have a web site. Everyone I have talked to so far have said the Wis state assoc. didn't do anything useful? So unless I find out different later on, see no reason to waste my money on my state ML Assoc. I do belong to the Wis rifle & pistol assoc. and they do a lot of good things. Neither the NRA or the NMLRA are perfect, but they are the best of what we have, and I believe we should all support both. On gun issue we need to be united.

sharps54 said:
I'm a life time member of both the NMLRA and the NRA. I haven't hooked up with a muzzleloading club in my area, anyone know a good one around Quantico Marine Corps Base in VA?

The James River Black Powder Club has a range near where interstate 295 and rt 460 meet. I guess that its 85 miles from there to Quantico. Hopefully there is a closer club.

NMLRA member sense 1995 and NRA member sense 1968.

I feel belonging to both is worthwhile and urge anyone who is interested in modern and black powder guns to join both organizations.

curator said:
How many of you/us belong to the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Assoiciation? If not, why not?
I was a member for 3 years then dropped out when it became clear to me that the NMLRA:
1) Was really a shooting range in Illinois;
2) A magazine that was mostly advertisement and NMLRA internal politics;
3) Does no lobbying for me like the NRA does;
4) Abandoned the original mission, and embraced the modern high tech rifles that load from the front.

I'm not interested in debating anything, simply answered your questions.

Rat Trapper said:
The NMLRA's range is in Friendship IN.
Illinois, Indiana...whatever...point is it's not just a 30 minute drive I can make on the weekends :grin:

I have belonged to the NMLRA for about 20 years or so.

There are 12 individuals running for the Board of the NMLRA at this time. About half of them listed an e-mail address in their bio information.
I sent an e-mail to each them asking two questions which I felt were important.

Only one of them responded. His answer to one question what not what I was hoping for, but he gave his honest answer and I cannot fault him for that. The others, very poor leadership.

There is one small club near where I live, but at the most we have 5 shooters, sometimes 2.

The NMLRA does not always do what I would like, but I will not bash them as it is my decision to keep my membership up.

RDE

curator said:
How many of you/us belong to the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Assoiciation? If not, why not? Is there a muzzleloading shooting club within 50 miles of where you live?

Was a member for several years in the early 90's. The ML club I was in was carrying club insurance through the NMLRA and a certain % of the club membership meeded to be NMLRA members in order to qualify for that insurance. Cost of insurance and lack of decent response from the underwriter led us to switch to NRA insurance. My NMLRA membership lapsed, and I simply didn't renew. Now I feel I get more "bang for the buck" with NRA contributions.

Yes, I have a range about 5 miles from my driveway for my unlimited use as long as I am a member of the local gun club. We have 10 covered benches and ranges out to 200 yds. It is not a "muzzleloading" club, but I am working on making some converts and we are welcomed there.

I still am a member but only renew year to year now. One of the clubs I belong to is a charter club so it helps with the insurance I think...
Got a "range" in the back yard so that's not a issue for me. :grin:

Yep, it doesn't matter where it is. It is the organization of inlines and machine shop guns anymore. The womens record holder and state champ here publicly stated that if she had to "wear dead men's clothes" to shoot, that she would quit and not return. If it was a 30 minute drive, I still would not go. Don't feel too bad about not being answered by the running officer candidates! The sitting officers don't answer questions either!
I was a member for a while since the club required it because their insurance was thru the NMLRA. If that one fact ever changes, 3/4s of the current members will be gone also. Let the Knights have it and lets get on with starting another true traditional national club. Let's call the MMLRA the Indiana Good Old Boys Inline Club from now on and be real about it.
Let the IGOBIC guys have it already!

I've been a Life Member in both the NMLRA and the NRA since the '70s. I think it's important to support any shooting organization. Traditional...Inline....they both load from the muzzle and use black powder. I won't ever have an inline gun but there a those who do and they are supporting the shooting sport. I do think that the NMLRA would be wise to separate the traditional classes from inline matches. This might stop the bickering which is hurtful and divisive to the sport. I also think it is the shooter who determines accuracy from any gun. Just my $.02 worth.

Call me an Alaskan, but I like to think of the organizations I support like a dog team to pull my sled. They all need to be healthy and well suited to my interests or they aren't doing me much good.

I don't join anything lightly "just to support a cause," if in fact the outfit doesn't support my cause. I do a lot of research and reading before I join, and I hold the outfit to a high standard once I'm through their door.

From all I can read the NMLRA stand on mixing inlines and modern shooting jackets into competition with the traditional gear makes it a sick puppy. The lack of repsonsiveness in current officials and candidates looks like a contageous disease to me.

Nope. The NMLRA isn't going to join my team of sled dogs till it gets healthy. If it dies from its own disease, maybe that will make room for a new dog that is better suited for geeing and hawing my sled through life.

BrownBear said:
Nope. The NMLRA isn't going to join my team of sled dogs till it gets healthy. If it dies from its own disease, maybe that will make room for a new dog that is better suited for geeing and hawing my sled through life.
Well said...and sometimes that's exactly what it takes...happens with big businesses fairly often.
When organizations get so top heavy and populated with entrenched people and ideas, a simple change here and there isn't enough to overcome the inertia of the "sub-culture" that has evolved within it...sometime it literally takes going out of business and starting all over with a fresh new set of players.

On this very note I had hopes that the new TMA would become that new enterprise...and not pointing this out to be negative in any way whatsoever...the simple facts are that the TMA has not surfaced as an influential player on the national scene as I'd hoped they would.

I still don't understand why the NMLRA hasn't negotiated with the NRA to get itself merged as a division into the NRA...no question it would be beneficial to the NMLRA, and possibly some benefit to the NRA

I do think that the NMLRA would be wise to separate the traditional classes from inline matches.
Inlines and traditional are two different classes at the NMLRA. They shoot separate matches.
I'm a member of nothing at the moment. Except Chicken clubs. :haha: :blah:

Latest posts

Back