• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NMLRA, the Honorable Horners, and Others are Saving Dixon's Fair!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to grow the sport, you need women and children. If you want women and children you want nice bathrooms. Upgrading to ADA compliant restrooms is a win/win all around. It also make the facilities attractive to other venues, an additional source of income.

More than just women and children. We need folk who don't look like us too. Granted, I don't know what you look like, but I only ever knew one muzzleloader shooter in my life who wasn't white and over 30. A bathroom won't fix that problem, but it is a point worth making.

I fully agree, it should of been done years ago. Problem is getting people to step up and do stuff. People will rather complain. I have people now saying that we should not do ADA bathrooms. Spend the money ONLY on the range.

Fleener
The NMLRA says in part that it exists to promote muzzleloading "through recreational, educational, historical, and cultural venues". The NMLRA conducts a significant percentage of these programs at the Walter Cline Range, including educational programs, recreational programs, and the annual members meeting. A look at Muzzle Blasts or the NMLRA website shows how important the Walter Cline Range is to promotion of the NMLRA's goals and to participation in the organization by members. As one BOD member told me years ago, "if you want to have a voice in how the organization is run, you have to go to Friendship".

The NMLRA has been saying it is "actively working" on getting ADA restrooms at the Walter Cline Range for 25 years. For individuals with mobility impairments, the lack of accessible restrooms is a significant barrier to participation in the NMLRA's programs at the Walter Cline range. These individuals are members of the public that the NMLRA claims to serve. The NMLRA has made it difficult, if not impossible, for these individuals to do so.

At some point, a complaint under Title III of the ADA is likely. At the same time, a challenge could be made to the NMLRA's 501 (c) (3) status.

As well said, as can be said.

Actually a Letter To The Editor was published in Muzzle Blasts by a BOD member's wife concerning the situation and her needs.

They took grant money and spent it on the Trap Range.

Last edited:
FishDFly

What grant money was taken and spent on the Trap range?

Fleener

It would seem to me that if the nmlra really wanted to have ADA restrooms they would have them. Their board of directors evidently have a different agenda. I've never been a member and don't want to be from what I hear.

As I live only 15 minute drive from Dixon's, this was very welcome news. The Kempton Fairgrounds (where I've heard this will be) has large buildings and pavilions so even inclement weather won't effect it. Besides, the fairgrounds is easier to find for out of town folks.
Since you live so close to Dixon's, I just want to say how much I enjoy the annual drive thru the beautiful rolling countryside; the gorgeous corn fields, the farms, just minutes away from the crowded highway 22. I'm so glad the Fair will continue; Pa. is one of the most scenic states in the Eastern US, and I go up to the Fair as much for the scenery as for the fair itself! Have a great Summer!

FishDFly

What grant money was taken and spent on the Trap range?

Fleener

I remember hearing that the NMLRA received grant money in the last three years from either the State Gov't or Fed. Gov't and it was used to refurbish the Trap Range and the next round of money was going to be used to put a new roof on the pistol range.

The NMLRA says in part that it exists to promote muzzleloading "through recreational, educational, historical, and cultural venues". The NMLRA conducts a significant percentage of these programs at the Walter Cline Range, including educational programs, recreational programs, and the annual members meeting. A look at Muzzle Blasts or the NMLRA website shows how important the Walter Cline Range is to promotion of the NMLRA's goals and to participation in the organization by members. As one BOD member told me years ago, "if you want to have a voice in how the organization is run, you have to go to Friendship".

The NMLRA has been saying it is "actively working" on getting ADA restrooms at the Walter Cline Range for 25 years. For individuals with mobility impairments, the lack of accessible restrooms is a significant barrier to participation in the NMLRA's programs at the Walter Cline range. These individuals are members of the public that the NMLRA claims to serve. The NMLRA has made it difficult, if not impossible, for these individuals to do so.

At some point, a complaint under Title III of the ADA is likely. At the same time, a challenge could be made to the NMLRA's 501 (c) (3) status.
I just sent in my raffle ticket for the ADA project prizes. Good or bad, don't matter!

You are right, I drug it off, sorry.
I'm not sure you did. Here's why: the NMLRA has announced it will be supporting the Gunmakers Fair that is continuing from where Dixons left off. In doing so, the NMLRA BOD is choosing to support what is essentially a regional show rather than meet the legal requirement (since 1995!) to have ADA compliant restrooms at the "world class" Walter Cline Range.

No one has said--or suggested--that they wanted Dixons to end or the Gunmakers Fair to fail, or even for the NMLRA to not support the successor Gunmakers Fair. They just want the BOD to address the pre-existing problems at the Walter Cline Range, and not in a "business as usual while we ignore it and after 20+ years and apply for a grant, then delay further while we do a fundraiser to get the matching funds" sort of way.

Judging by the NMLRA's latest (2019) Form 990, it might set back some plans but the NMLRA could probably pony up the matching funds today, without the fundraiser. The BOD chose not to do so, despite the way their action excludes some members/potential members from the rights and privileges of membership, and ignores both the "NMLRA Code of Ethics" and the law.

But HOORAH!! Dixons will continue!!!!

Lets get some facts out.

February 03, 2021 the NMLRA received a Pittman Robertson (PR) grant for $1.2M. This is a 90% PR, 10% NMLRA match grant. Part of the application for the grant is for ADA compliant bathrooms amongst other range improvements. That is four short months since we got the grant approval.

We have been working hard on the design of the bathrooms. We are hopefully going out for bid in the next few weeks.

I nor any of us can go in the past and change anything. The only change I can make is now and in the future. Instead of complaining about what did not get done in the past, I have made the choice to help make it get done in the future.

I and others are doing all we can as fast as we can to make improvements to the NMLRA and that includes ADA compliant bathrooms.

We have the match money. Folks like the gunmakers have taken it on themselves to help out, and I am grateful for that.

Where are you getting anyone stating that the NMLRA is "world class"?

I can assure you we are moving as fast as we can. We are currently waiting for the building permits.

We are not perfect, nor will everyone be happy with what does or does not get done.

13,000 members all have an opinion. Not to mention all the non members that have an opinion.

So, there is the facts.

Fleener, Chair of the NMLRA PR Committee

Back to original post intent.
Dixon's and the faire is the entire reason I got back into BP. I was looking into something father and son to do and heard about the faire. The two of us drove up from coastal VA. Watching barrel makers, seeing all the fittings and fixings... A few pounds of BP, two barrels and a bag full of fittings later we were hooked.
And on the way out, off 78 is a neat little winery that we stopped at and brought home somethings for mom too.

Went to Dixons many years ago when first started involvement in BP. Saw RICE Barrels for first time. Learned about "lock tuning" at a seminar. A lot of good stuff to see and info to soak up. Wife even enjoyed some things.

Lets get some facts out.

February 03, 2021 the NMLRA received a Pittman Robertson (PR) grant for $1.2M. This is a 90% PR, 10% NMLRA match grant. Part of the application for the grant is for ADA compliant bathrooms amongst other range improvements. That is four short months since we got the grant approval.

We have been working hard on the design of the bathrooms. We are hopefully going out for bid in the next few weeks.

I nor any of us can go in the past and change anything. The only change I can make is now and in the future. Instead of complaining about what did not get done in the past, I have made the choice to help make it get done in the future.

I and others are doing all we can as fast as we can to make improvements to the NMLRA and that includes ADA compliant bathrooms.

We have the match money. Folks like the gunmakers have taken it on themselves to help out, and I am grateful for that.

Where are you getting anyone stating that the NMLRA is "world class"?

I can assure you we are moving as fast as we can. We are currently waiting for the building permits.

We are not perfect, nor will everyone be happy with what does or does not get done.

13,000 members all have an opinion. Not to mention all the non members that have an opinion.

So, there is the facts.

Fleener, Chair of the NMLRA PR Committee

The NMLRA website refers to the "world class ranges" at Friendship in several locations; the description has been used for a while in promotional materials, editorials in Muzzle Blasts, I seem to recall even seeing it in a published letter from the president of the NMLRA. Was it somehow wrong for me to use the same descriptive term in referring to the range?

I understand no one can change the past, and applaud your desire to make changes now and in the future. Given that there are currently ~13,000 NMLRA members (and a few times that number in former members, plus all the folks who never were members) and that the NMLRA claims to represent the interests of all of us, it would be nice if we could do something to get over the past problems. Improved communications would be a good step toward that. Over the last 40 years I've seen an awful lot of people leave the NMLRA because they weren't aware there was a problem with what they were doing until the NMLRA shut down a program they believed in.

From what I've read in BOD meeting minutes, and heard from a past BOD member and others, and from watching the NMLRA ignore the requirement for 20+ years, I have to wonder if ADA facilities would have been included in the grant ap if it wasn't a requirement of the grant that the facilities comply with the principles of universal design (e.g., ADA-compliant restrooms). If you say they would, I'll believe you--but for now I'm skeptical.

Can you tell us if the new facilities will be done before the fall matches, and particularly, before the annual members meeting? The way things are set up in the bylaws, in order to exercise your vote as a member you have to attend the members meeting in person. If you are unable to attend due to the lack of ADA facilities, you probably won't be attending the meeting (or voting). If the new facilities won't be done before the fall matches, what steps will be taken to ensure that members who need those facilities in order to be able to attend and participate, and might otherwise attend, are in fact able to participate in a meaningful way? For that matter, what steps are being taken to ensure those same members are able to attend BOD meetings in the interim?

I believe that the bathrooms in the Ed Building where the meetings are held are ADA complainant.

I wished the new bathrooms would be done by June, but as I stated prior we have not gone out for bid yet, and we are being told it might be the middle of August before we get our building permits.

New and nicer bathrooms have been in the works for years. Money and building in a flood plain has always been obstacles. We are hoping for two new bathrooms, might only get one built. All construction cost have gone crazy and a new bathroom is going to cost us much more this year then any other year.

Fleener

Back