• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

NMLRA Postal match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thekingd93

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I registered for the NMLRA postal match and the targets consist of
Crow 25 yards, deer 50 yards, fox 50 yards and a bear 100 yards. 5 shots per target off hand. I'm very comfortable shooting at 25-50 yards off hand all day long. I shot 45 points out of 50 on a 50 yard off hand target at a local competition recently. However 100 yards is where I start to struggle a little bit with regular iron sights but I think I have a solution that may help. I cast LEE 250 grain R.E.A.L bullets and shoot them with my .50 cal hawken 70 grains of Swiss 3F, over powder wad and my sights are dead on at 50 yards with the Lee bullets. If I shoot roundball with the same gun, with the same 70 grain charge they hit a little high so I dropped it down to 60 grains and sure enough the round balls were right on the money dead center at 50 yards by reducing the powder charge. (Bench rested) so by experimenting with 2 different projectiles I learned that you don't have to adjust the sights for different projectile weights simply adjust the powder charge. So I suppose if I bump up the powder charge for a 100 yard target it should help carry the projectile a little further with less drop and less point of aim adjustment (in theory) so with all that being said I guess with some more time at the range I'll have to determine which projectile would be best suited for the 100 yard target either my cast Lee real 250 grain .50 cal bullets or patched round ball. NMLRA rules allow for either projectile in the postal match. I'd prefer to use round ball but I have a feeling the lee 250s might do just a tad better at 100 yards Hard to say. This weekend is supposed to be boiling hot so if I get all my housework done I'm going to the range.

Last edited:
Those are all tough targets, especially the bear at 100 yds. Get to a NMLRA territorial and try these same targets at 25 minute intervals. Haven’t checked out the mail in contest but Guess I should.

Those are all tough targets, especially the bear at 100 yds. Get to a NMLRA territorial and try these same targets at 25 minute intervals. Haven’t checked out the mail in contest but Guess I should.
Deadline is August 31st to mail the targets unlimited amount of time to shoot them I believe. Could take 2 days to do it if you want.

Back