• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

NMLRA Muzzleblast Magazine delivery times

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleener

50 Cal.
Reaction score
There has been constructing comments from members that they do not receive their magazine in a timely fashion.

The National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association is working on trying to get a week ahead in our printing plans so that the USPS has more time to get the magazines to the members by the 1st week of the month.

Also, if you want it even faster, you can do a digital copy and look at it on line as soon as it is published.

We might not be perfect, but we are trying to meet the needs of our members.

Art Fleener
Secretary, NMLRA

Mine arrives around the 20th of the month if not later at times.

Friend who lives outside Cincinnati gets his the same day I get mine in Texas south of Dallas.

Years ago I would get my magazine no later than the 4th of the month.

Cannot sit in my recliner and read a digital.

After the Phoenix shoot was canceled, we were told that there would be smaller shoots from the NMLRA for those west of the Mississippi, what happened to them?

I have a laptop and am sitting in my recliner now. However, I do like to hold the copy and read it.

We are switching to a new publisher, so that is going to help as well hopefully with the time to get them out to you. If they come every month at the same time, does it really matter that it came on the 20th vs the 4th?

Regarding the Western shoots, gosh get one problem worked on and you want another one taken care of as well.;)

I was not on the board when the Western was cancelled. I also do know that the board at the time indicated that they would be looking at doing other shoots in the West. I can also tell you that currently that is not being discussed, but I will raise the issue.

The NMLRA has some paid staff, but relies heavily on volunteers. We could use a volunteer in Texas to organize and host a match. Let me know if you are interested.

There are 6 territorials West of the Mississippi. We need some members to volunteer to host a Territorial match! The below is a list of States that have territorial matches.

Dont like what you are getting from an organization? Get involved and help make it better and change it. That is what I am trying to do and we are always looking for people to get involved to help make positive changes.

Fleener

I know my mailman reads my Muzzle Blasts before I get it. Maybe some in the distribution center too? I don't object as long as they don't tear out articles to take home. I figure he is a possible convert. Mine gets here in Florida around the third week each month.

Thanks
Didn’t know there was an issue as mine comes monthly, never paid attention to the day as it comes the same month of the issue.
Beats the other ML magazines by 2 fold: they are only 6/yr and like MuzzleBlast I enjoy the reading.

The USPS can be very slow getting magazines out. I had a friend who stuffed a quarterly magazine and mailed it for an historical society. He mailed his own, and it took 3 weeks to get it, despite living one town over from the PO where it was mailed.

“If they come every month at the same time, does it really matter that it came on the 20th vs the 4th?”

Yes, it does matter. When “Anonymous” made the offer to fund $500 in matching funds to 10 members who wished to join “The One of a 1,000”, my magazine arrived on the 23rd of the month. I called that day and was told I was too late by a week. All members are not being treated the same.

“Regarding the Western shoots, gosh get one problem worked on and you want another one taken care of as well.”

Yes, AZWINS is set to hold their 2nd shoot in March. Seems over 2 years is long enough to fulfill a promise made by the then President.

“We could use a volunteer in Texas to organize and host a match. Let me know if you are interested.”

You might ask Andy Larson, he is on the NMLRA board and from Texas. The TMLRA has no interest in holding another shoot, nor do the other 4 clubs.

FishDFly

Yes that is unfortunate that you and perhaps others missed out on the very generous offer of 1 in 1,000 from "Anonymous".

It is impossible to have all members get their magazine on the same day or even the same week. The USA is simply not that small.

All members are treated the same regarding access to the digital on line copy. It is your choice to look at it or not to look at it.

You are like me and prefer to look at a hard copy in hand. That is our choice, and we alone are responsible for our actions or lack of, no one else to blame.

If all the magazines are shipped the same day, no matter what day of the month, you will still not get your copy as soon as people that live closer to the distribution center. The USPS simply does not work that way.

You offer up a problem regarding the lack of shoots West of the Mississippi. What are your solutions to the problems? How do we get more shoots in the West? Why does Texas not want to host one? What is the solution to that problem?

Everyone likes to identify the problems but I am interested in not only the problems, but what are the solutions?

Fleener

Fleener,

“What is the solution to that problem?”

The NMLRA has been struggling to answer that question for years. Society has changed since BP shooting reached its’ zenith. Those who shot BP are getting older and no longer can shoot. The NMLRA pistol group has made efforts to create Aggs. for those getting older. Most clubs are not working to address aging shooters.

There are no simple solutions for increasing the number shoots west of the Mississippi. The NMLRA has trouble maintaining its’ membership. The number of pistol shooters in October at Friendship was down and heard the same was true in June.

The canceling of the Winter National’s was handled very poorly and could have been done in a more professional way.

The TMLRA shoots which are held 3 times a year and has a decrease in the number of shooters at each shoot. Several members have offered solutions to increase the number of shooters and offered to do the work, but the BOD has expressed no interest in following the solutions.

I sent 11 Private Messages to members here for the October 2018 shoot inviting them, and let them know that powder and supplies would be available. Not one person from those invited showed up. I posted on another forum about the October shoot and there was no interest from that group in coming.

One of the problems in increasing the number of shoots and shooters at shoots is that folks do not wish to compete. Basically, they do not want to lose. They say they cannot come to a state shoot and win. I have heard the same thing at local shoots that I have attended. Winning to them is the most important part, if they cannot be at the top of the leader board, they do not want to come.

Part of the problem is retention of new shooters after you get them. If the senior members of clubs paid more attention to first time members they would return, but unfortunately that does not happen for the most part.

Do I have the magic answer, no and so far no one else has it either.

It will be interesting to see if they can get the magazine out at the first of the month. I have been a member since 1983 and we use to get it at the first of the month. That changed when they went to slick paper and color photos.

“We might not be perfect, but we are trying to meet the needs of our members”

I will give you credit where credit is due, you are the only member of the BOD who posts here and the other place I see you. I asked Winston Roland why he did not post here, he said he read here but did not post because of the bashing he would get.

fdf

FDF

We have been working hard at reaching out to our younger generations. We have a very active media campaign currently going on. I dont know if you looked at the website or Facebook lately, but they have changed for the better.

I am glad that the AZWINS picked up and is going to have their second year. I truly hope that they have a great shoot. Does not look like I will be able to make it this year either. Too many things on the calendar and I will most likely be heading to Friendship to do some work during that part of March.

We are currently reaching out to a percentage of those members that have not renewed their memberships. Asking the simple question on why not? Looking to see what if anything we are missing.

We are also looking at making some major improvements to the physical grounds at Friendship this coming year. The pistol and trap ranges being the targeted area, and hopefully the bathroom near those ranges.

Fleener

FDF

We have been working hard at reaching out to our younger generations. We have a very active media campaign currently going on. I dont know if you looked at the website or Facebook lately, but they have changed for the better.

I am glad that the AZWINS picked up and is going to have their second year. I truly hope that they have a great shoot. Does not look like I will be able to make it this year either. Too many things on the calendar and I will most likely be heading to Friendship to do some work during that part of March.

We are currently reaching out to a percentage of those members that have not renewed their memberships. Asking the simple question on why not? Looking to see what if anything we are missing.

We are also looking at making some major improvements to the physical grounds at Friendship this coming year. The pistol and trap ranges being the targeted area, and hopefully the bathroom near those ranges.

Fleener
Mine arrived today to area code 30066. Marietta ga.

Fleener,

I rarely look at the website.

Phoenix, I may go and still debating.

The dues increase for annual membership irritated lots of folks. Jumping the fee to shoot in June and September from $20 to $50 was a source of heart burn. Most members who go to Friendship are retired and the fee to attend and the increase for camping was not popular. I understand the need to increase fees, but it was not popular.

Improvements that are coming I have heard about. I have offered to fund a couple at the Pistol range which I would like to see. The bathroom situation is deplorable.

Back to the magazine, years ago there was a column which showed the number of members by state and the total number of members. It would be nice to see that return.

I know some folks complain about the magazine and will always do so. There are some writers I do not read, some subjects I have no interest in, but I think there is a good mix of subjects each month. The upgrades to the magazine, quality of the paper and color photos, are nice..

It would be nice to see a bio on Diana and Joyce, they do an outstanding job.

Mike Luma writes his Pistol Shoots II and shares his knowledge of pistol shooting and some of the pistol shooters. It would be nice to see articles from the Off Hand range and the Bench range.

Again, thanks for your efforts.

I know the increase in prices was a point of issue with quite a few people. I had several approach me this past year and voice their displeasure. Raising prices never makes people happy. I was not on the board when that happened, however I do support it as our cost simply had to rise.

I am the chair of the committee looking at making the range improvements using pittman-robertson grant money. Been working with the INDNR as they are the gatekeeper of the money. IF it works out, we might get around $250,000 with a soft match from the NMLRA of 10%. Since we are targeting the pistol and trap range for the first round of improvements, I added Andy and Marty to the committee. Want to make sure that we do what we need to do on both ranges.

We have architectural drawings for a new bathroom. If we replace the one near the trap range, the old one will not be closed until the new one is built. The little angle strip of land that is near the ranges will be the new location. There has not been any permanent camp spots there, and we put a restriction on renting out the camping spots we need to build on for this year.

I believe that the number of members per State is still put in the magazine? Unless I recall seeing those numbers someplace else?

I agree that it would be nice to see our staff highlighted in the magazine. I just sent an email regarding that.

We are looking for people to submit articles for publication, I was going to start a new topic looking for articles.

I am also adding to the Jan. meeting agenda shooting events in the West.

There are a LOT of people that dedicate a lot of time, money and effort as volunteers to the NMLRA. I am just trying to do my part.

Fleener

Got mine yesterday.
So far I really enjoyed the article highlighting many of the vendors at Friendship by Dave Ehrig (Mr. Flintlock).

Mine arrived today, 03 Dec. It has not arrived that early in years, thanks Fleener.

You are right about the vendor article. I like seeing that some have websites.

Mine arrived today, 03 Dec. It has not arrived that early in years, thanks Fleener.

You are right about the vendor article. I like seeing that some have websites.
I like the highlites of the vendors as well. Did not see mr. Leatherman in the article. Know he takes off pretty quick and may have been missed. I like his booth.

I know my mailman reads my Muzzle Blasts before I get it. Maybe some in the distribution center too? I don't object as long as they don't tear out articles to take home. I figure he is a possible convert. Mine gets here in Florida around the third week each month.
I believe many of us older guys prefer the paper copy. It would drive me crazy trying to enjoy the magazine on a 'screen'.

I like the highlites of the vendors as well. Did not see mr. Leatherman in the article. Know he takes off pretty quick and may have been missed. I like his booth.

I have invested money in his retirement account quite a bit. If you do not get what you want from the vendors by Tuesday you are out of luck for the most part. Log Cabin stays till the end which is nice and so does the guy on the left front space.

Fleener,

I rarely look at the website.

Phoenix, I may go and still debating.

The dues increase for annual membership irritated lots of folks. Jumping the fee to shoot in June and September from $20 to $50 was a source of heart burn. Most members who go to Friendship are retired and the fee to attend and the increase for camping was not popular. I understand the need to increase fees, but it was not popular.

Improvements that are coming I have heard about. I have offered to fund a couple at the Pistol range which I would like to see. The bathroom situation is deplorable.

Back to the magazine, years ago there was a column which showed the number of members by state and the total number of members. It would be nice to see that return.

I know some folks complain about the magazine and will always do so. There are some writers I do not read, some subjects I have no interest in, but I think there is a good mix of subjects each month. The upgrades to the magazine, quality of the paper and color photos, are nice..

It would be nice to see a bio on Diana and Joyce, they do an outstanding job.

Mike Luma writes his Pistol Shoots II and shares his knowledge of pistol shooting and some of the pistol shooters. It would be nice to see articles from the Off Hand range and the Bench range.

Again, thanks for your efforts.
The magazine is outstanding for something being published for and about the admittedly small world of muzzleloading enthusiasts. They do an excellent job producing a fine product outside of the slick, fast-moving, fickle, magazine world. I love it and am sure most of us do. Good work!

Back