• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

NMLRA members

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting but wondering why NMLRA is almost unheard of on the west coast. Personally My wife and I belong to 4 BP clubs. Go to about 8/10 Rhondys a year. Even at the PPR regional with at least 800 shooters every year there’s absolutely no mention of NMLRA. All the clubs we belong to are insured by the NRA with 2 of them mandatory to join. Reading many of the BP pages I find that the west is a hot bed of BP more so than any other region. From my house alone there’s six, four day Rhondys within 100 miles and many more within 200. All on private ranches with multiple trail walks, shotgun etc. SO WHY NO NMLRA ?
Doc,
I suspect it is the localized nature of the nmlra. It is set in its ways and doesn't really have much outreach or recruitment efforts.

Thought about it and was going to join and camp at the Southeastern this year, went there for a walkabout to check it out and was disappointed with the whole thing. Location was not the best and was told that some of the vendors/traders could not get their trailers down to the site because of the road and grade. Seemed like a wasted trip. Saving my money to help my local shooting club instead, at least for now.
You’ve got the wrong organization..
Southeastern is part of the NRLHF.

Earlier this month I posted a lengthy description of how the Muzzleloading Hunter Safety courses got started by members of a local ML club in New Hampshire, which spread through New England, New York, and Pennsylvania. One of the individuals who was deeply involved with that effort changed jobs and moved to another state, where he got into it again and helped start the ML Hunter Safety courses there also. After the course material was provided to the NMLRA and adopted by them, they sent a team from Friendship to hold another "Train the Trainer" seminar for Hunter Safety Instructors in that state. The individual mentioned earlier was drafted to act as one of the instructors and as Range Officer for the live fire portion of the classes. During that range portion one of the visiting NMLRA representatives took exception to his terminology during a range safety lecture and later refused to renew his certification, claiming he "wasn't qualified" to be an NMLRA Hunter Safety Instructor. The association allowed that decision to stand. I have refused to support them financially ever since.

Earlier this month I posted a lengthy description of how the Muzzleloading Hunter Safety courses got started by members of a local ML club in New Hampshire, which spread through New England, New York, and Pennsylvania. One of the individuals who was deeply involved with that effort changed jobs and moved to another state, where he got into it again and helped start the ML Hunter Safety courses there also. After the course material was provided to the NMLRA and adopted by them, they sent a team from Friendship to hold another "Train the Trainer" seminar for Hunter Safety Instructors in that state. The individual mentioned earlier was drafted to act as one of the instructors and as Range Officer for the live fire portion of the classes. During that range portion one of the visiting NMLRA representatives took exception to his terminology during a range safety lecture and later refused to renew his certification, claiming he "wasn't qualified" to be an NMLRA Hunter Safety Instructor. The association allowed that decision to stand. I have refused to support them financially ever since.
What year/decade/century was that?
The NMLRA has been teaching Instructor Classes as long as I can remember.
04257F42-C1F1-4623-AAEB-20433CB69628.jpeg

I was. They have a "no refund" policy regarding reservations at their grounds. People lost money when the NMLRA scheduled events in late 2020 knowing there was a chance ongoing Covid restrictions would cancel them, yet they still refused to refund fees.

The justification was "rules are rules," and it was explained the policy was put in place over 25 years ago when bad weather caused many cancellations and the refunds almost bankrupted them.

Weather is unpredictable, as are pandemics, but they have had 25 years to develop better policy. I'm not going to support an organization that thinks it is justified in keeping people's money because of poor planning and administration.
I don't think that any organization planned for a worldwide pandemic! I was happy to forgo my camping fee to keep the NMLRA alive.

Been a member for a couple years. Magazine is OK (I do like that it is available digital) but most shooting events and rondys are just a little too far. Glad to support muzzleloading in general, so I hope my membership dollars are being put to good use.

I am a member. I am also a life member of the NRA. ALL organizations have some faults or some things that a member would like to see done differently. No one, and nothing, is perfect. We need to support our shooting sports or we will lose them. Withdrawing your support from an organization that supports firearms and the shooting sports can only hurt yourself, and the rest of us.

Back