• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

NMLRA fighting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrowRoad

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am a relatively new member of the NMLRA and was wondering if anyone could explain what is going on with the proposed bylaw changes, the president’s letter to members, and the apparent fighting going on in the organization?

I have seen various posts on the NMLRA facebook page imploring members to vote, throw out the executives, etc. But the threads always get deleted before any real information is posted. It seems like NMLRA or someone does not want anyone discussing what is going on and it all seems very suspect.

So, could someone explain what this fight is all about? Why did it start and what is each side trying to achieve?

Well unfortunately or maybe fortunately I do not look at Facebook.

It seems that there is always some kind of fighting going on in the organization..

"imploring members to vote, throw out the executives, etc"

They cannot get the magazine mailed out on time, it is not the Post Office. They need to change publishers. The office staff is late in performing their duties. My membership expires tomorrow, I have yet to receive my card, I sent them money in July. They did not put in June or July Muzzle Blasts the form to sign up for the shoot in September.

Several years ago, Mike Luma proposed a change to the rules where the President would be elected by the members instead of by the Board. There was much carrying on at the meeting and the change was voted down.

To be on the Board you have to have 20 or so paid up members vouch/sign off for you to be on the ballot to be on the board. Members serve their term and when it is up they run for another term. It is a constant rotation of the same members being on the Board. In essence, to be on the ballot you have to find 20 friends who are paid up and like you.

There is a lot of carrying on now, since the restrooms are not ADA (American Disability Act) compliant. There are those who want the money spent to be compliant and then there are those who do not want the money spent. If the Govt. wished, they could shutdown the shoots until things become compliant. They are trying to raise the money via raffle, but that is only dragging things out and does not help those who need access to bathrooms now. They spent a lot of money on the pistol and trap range that could have been used for bathrooms.

Another problem is the proposed changes are only voted on by those who attend the Sept. shoot and go to the Saturday night meeting. Lots of folks do not go to the meeting because of the politics. A very small percentage of the members are deciding what happens to the By Laws. Changes should be handled just like voting for the Board.

To answer your question, not really sure, but it does not surprise me. Part of the proposed changes are purely semantics. Will go to the meeting and see.

There is a lot of carrying on now, since the restrooms are not ADA (American Disability Act) compliant. There are those who want the money spent to be compliant and then there are those who do not want the money spent. If the Govt. wished, they could shutdown the shoots until things become compliant. They are trying to raise the money via raffle, but that is only dragging things out and does not help those who need access to bathrooms now. They spent a lot of money on the pistol and trap range that could have been used for bathrooms.

Seems like a simple solution to a simple problem to me.

1630347389840.png

They are trying to raise the money via raffle,

Why not take out a loan ? They have plenty of assets.

When our local club needed new restrooms because they were literally outhouses, members who were contractors, plumbers etc. all chipped in and did the work or supplied the materials.

View attachment 92183

When our local club needed new restrooms because they were literally outhouses, members who were contractors, plumbers etc. all chipped in and did the work or supplied the materials.

A service club I belong to, tried to replace their ancient picnic pavilion. We had people willing to donate materials and a contractor willing to pay empl9oyees who volunteered to help us build it. Insurance company wanted blue prints and materials list and code inspector's approval before construction or they would stop coverage. Then they sent a letter saying they would not cover it if built by volunteer labor. Such BS. Looked for another company. No body came in as cheap on premiums.

View attachment 92183

I'm one of the 1-of-1,000 members but don't expect to go to Indiana anytime. I never had any problem with magazine delivery except when the PO was affected by the hard-shutdown. Your photo is an amazingly simple problem-solver!

A service club I belong to, tried to replace their ancient picnic pavilion. We had people willing to donate materials and a contractor willing to pay empl9oyees who volunteered to help us build it. Insurance company wanted blue prints and materials list and code inspector's approval before construction or they would stop coverage. Then they sent a letter saying they would not cover it if built by volunteer labor. Such BS. Looked for another company. No body came in as cheap on premiums.

That would certainly be annoying. Was the new pavilion ever built ?

I've seen more than a few organizations with entrenched leadership, unconcerned about or unable to manage a large business and fulfill their responsibilities.
Not necessarily bad intent (except perhaps the current NRA millionaire leadership), but with poor results.
Sort of like Congress.

View attachment 92183

N-SSA went from basic outhouses to a better system. Much better now. But N-SSA has a much bigger turnout for National shoots.

Last year, many NMLRA events were cancelled due to covid. Late summer, the NMLRA started scheduling events with the expectations things would open up. They took reservations, including fees. Then, when these events ended up being cancelled, the NMLRA said they were not issuing refunds, that they had a "no refund" policy for 25 years, and rules were rules. (This policy was put into place after a year of floods that nearly bankrupted them from lost camp fees and property damage. They decided then they were too financially weak to afford giving refunds, even if THE NMLRA had to cancel an event.)

To me, they have had 25 years to get to a better financial position. Planning under uncertain terms, taking money for camping, and then refusing to refund those monies when you have to cancel, is immoral and quite possibly illegal.

I had just joined a couple of months before this all happened, but immediately cancelled my membership. If they are that poorly run, I want no part of it.

By the sounds of it, a good portion of the membership is not happy with how things have been run for a while.

To me, a BOD voting on who is going to be President is like the Senate voting who is going to be President, not the people. To that I say bull.

I continue to pay my dues so I can go to Friendship, when I no longer can attend, it will be end of my membership.

From what I heard today, the President is wanting to make some changes that are not popular with the rank and file membership.

When the NMLRA craters, wonder what is going to happen to the 1 of 1,000 money?

I washed my hands of the NMLRA many decades ago. I was young, 19 or 20, and competed in a Regional match. It was all very exciting for me at that age. I took a 3rd place in the 50 yard bull. Due to work I couldn't attend the last day when the medals were handed out. I, in a series of phone calls and letters asked for my medal to be sent to me. That started months of runarounds and lies from the staff. I never did receive my medal. Also I never had any further use for the NMLRA.
Sad to see nothing much has changed.

Will be interesting to see how many folks show up next week for the Nationals with the virus.. Heard the number of pistol shooters was down in June.

I used to build houses. Then I went back to school and started working as a draftsman in an architects office. I worked on the Jersey coast during the Katrina horror show. There were alot of well meaning people trying to help people who had their houses nearly destroyed. The one that comes to mind was a guy who tore all but the front wall of the house down. Built an entirely new house, had "the repair" inspected and approved then tore the front wall down, built a new facade and presto, house rebuilt without plans or forced code upgrades like stilts and blow out walls on raised foundations.

I was a member of the NMLRA for about 20 plus years and then I got fed up with all the drama and infighting and quit the organization, in actuality there's not all that much benefit to belonging to the organization unless you attend the Nationals in Friendship, I never did.
My first experience with the leadership was back in the early '80's when a battle broke out between the organizational leadership and the groups that put on the regional rendezvous, they wanted to keep part of the event proceeds as seed money for the following years event as it was always done in the past (all monies accounted for of course), the leadership insisted that all monies be turned over to the organization, and an application be made by each group for the following years event seed money.
It got bad enough that some groups pulled away and went private, and the organization lost some good members.
From that point on for me it looked like the in fighting continued to be a normal part of the day to day running of the organization, I think the problem is that the leadership has become a big click that only cares about what goes on in the headquarters at Friendship and cares nothing about the membership past what it can contribute in funding.
IMHO the only way to fix the problems with the NMLRA is to elect the leadership by membership voting from a slate of candidates from across the country.
There needs to be an end to the central leadership in order to make it a National organization responsible to all it's members, not just a select few that attend the Nationals at friendship.

Only been to one NMLRA national - 50 years ago, always wanted to go back. Rejoined last year, but honestly, $50 annual dues is a killer for me (and a lot of other folks). I've a few Muzzle Blasts from the 60's - smaller, black and white, devoted to membership doin's with practical articles/history/etc. Still enjoy reading them.

The new magazine is, IMHO, way overdone and costly. I'd rather see an increase in membership (future of our passion) with lower dues than a full color fancy one with stories of some rich swell's hunting trip. While we're still physically able, I want to go to Friendship at least once more.

Back