• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NMLRA fighting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a member also in the early 90’s, for a couple of years. Went to a regional shoot, took a 2nd place and qualified for the National Shoot. Went to the Nationals, and what a joke ! I also noticed the political bs going on then. Was a member for 3 years and finally had enough . Canceled my membership and joined the American Mountain Man organization. So much better and with very little infighting. Excellent news, magazine, and all shoots hosted by brigade as well as National shoots. Most shoots on property owned by the brigades and have our own Nationaly owned property.

I have yet to see any organization that didn't have some sort of infighting among the ones in charge. I am not a member and can look at their problem with fair eyes. School board meetings, city counsel meetings, Senate and house of represenative and even within the churches they all have the same problem! It all comes down to power, greed and money."Love makes the world go round but money greases the wheel"! You can't stop human nature . You just have to learn to live with it if you can!

At my club the membership votes on the club President each year! There are nine BOD and they vote on one to be chairman. The President has on vote on the Board and can Veto anything not within our mission statement. The chairman is the tie breaker if it ever comes to that. So far worked for 70 years!!!

Mike Luma proposed that change in 2019 to let the members in the NMLRA elect the President, made sense to me, would you want the Senate electing the President? The President and the BOD was able to kill the Proposal.

Muzzle Blasts, October issue, I finally received my magazine on 25 Oct. I sent an e-mail to Amber May, Muzzle Blasts Coordinator on 18 Oct, inquiring where my magazine was and she has yet to answer my e-mail. Each month it does not come until after the 20th of the month. In August when I called about my magazine, she told me that the publisher was late in getting them to the NMLRA. Years ago received the magazine in the first week of the month, no more.

Notice the BOD is not keeping the membership updated on the status of the ADA bathrooms. Wonder why?

If it was not for going to Friendship in the fall, I would drop my membership. For a magazine, Muzzle Loader is a much better magazine and a lot more advertisers to purchase from. I started my membership to be able to shoot Territorials, it was a requirement to be a member.

When they canceled the Phoenix shoot, they promised smaller shoots west of the Mississippi to replace it. That has never happened. Been waiting six (6) years for that promise.

Last edited:
I always wonder why people get excited when their magazine does not come at the first of the month. Not much in there that is really that time sensitive. If you get it on the 20th of each month what is the real concern? I often dont even look at my copy for weeks. Not like it is a payroll check.

We should skip a month and simply call the next issue the December issue. That way when you get it in November you will be happy as it came early.

What do you want to know about the bathrooms? The bid received for the bathrooms was too high so we are simplifying the design and working with a builder. Still hope to have one completed and ready to go before Sept of next year.

Fleener

I am a supporting member of the NMLRA because we need a voice---even if imperfect.
I think they do a good job considering that most folks are older and have strong opinions.
The National politics are against ALL GUNS including muzzleloaders. We need a united front.
The NRA is another example. Ok there was some bad behavior--so correct it. I f you
tear things down the anti-2nd Amend crowd wins. The NMLRA is a good outfit. The
magazine is Legacy quality and is a great asset to the tradition and sport. The 50 bucks
is well spent. They also can save you if you receive it on-line. In our organizations, and
in forums such as this, we need to stay united on the big issues and submerge our
differences as we work towards satisfaction on everything else or division will destroy
our sport and give victory to the enemies of our freedoms.

William Lincoln wrote: ...........In our organizations, and in forums such as this, we need to stay united on the big issues and submerge our differences as we work towards satisfaction on everything else or division will destroy our sport and give victory to the enemies of our freedoms.

Very well said. In todays culture it seems too many people like to complain about everything and do nothing themselves to make it better.

I always told my trainees at work to "keep your mouth shut, work hard, worry about yourself and everything will fall into place". To many people today run their mouth and worry too much about everyone else.

Fleener

Fleener

I always wonder why people get excited when their magazine does not come at the first of the month. Not much in there that is really that time sensitive. If you get it on the 20th of each month what is the real concern? I often dont even look at my copy for weeks. Not like it is a payroll check.

We should skip a month and simply call the next issue the December issue. That way when you get it in November you will be happy as it came early.

What do you want to know about the bathrooms? The bid received for the bathrooms was too high so we are simplifying the design and working with a builder. Still hope to have one completed and ready to go before Sept of next year.

Fleener

The NMLRA starts very early in attempting to collect members dues prior to the members expiration date. Is the org. going to wait for each member to pay their dues 20 days late or their match fees 20 days late?

The only thing you find out in Muzzle Blasts about the bathrooms is solicitation for money. Updates on them would be nice, especially when folks are buying tickets to help build them.

I'm one of the 1-of-1,000 members but don't expect to go to Indiana anytime. I never had any problem with magazine delivery except when the PO was affected by the hard-shutdown. Your photo is an amazingly simple problem-solver!
Where are you going to park your walker? No water facilities to wash up, many disabled have a hard time making it in time, much less clean up. Might as well chit in the woods.

Mr. Fleener, I can't help noticing I still haven't received my April (and subsequent) magazines, despite the NMLRA having cashed in February the check I sent in January for membership renewal. No responses to inquiries sent May 1, July 1, or September 1. Is it ok with you if I get "excited" about this? Or should I just keep waiting and sending inquiries that will never be answered?

Longwalker

Your situation is completely different. I am sending you a PM and will follow up for you with the office.

Sorry about this.

Fleener

"I always wonder why people get excited when their magazine does not come at the first of the month. Not much in there that is really that time sensitive. If you get it on the 20th of each month what is the real concern? I often dont even look at my copy for weeks. Not like it is a payroll check."

The first 28 years that I belonged the magazine arrived on time, what has happened now? The rest of my monthly magazines arrive on time.

Care to address Walter Clines post on Page 3?

"I always wonder why people get excited when their magazine does not come at the first of the month. Not much in there that is really that time sensitive. If you get it on the 20th of each month what is the real concern? I often dont even look at my copy for weeks. Not like it is a payroll check."

The first 28 years that I belonged the magazine arrived on time, what has happened now? The rest of my monthly magazines arrive on time.

Care to address Walter Clines post on Page 3?
Keep in mind the Post Office is sluggish and even admits it will have slower service.

Longwalker

Your situation is completely different. I am sending you a PM and will follow up for you with the office.

Sorry about this.

Fleener
Mr. Fleener-

Thanks, I appreciate that.

The situation was no less-acceptable when I mentioned it in this thread back in September. I have since dealt with it: I purchased an online subscription, and sent a complaint to the USPS.

In that same previous post I suggested a big part of the problems folk have experienced are due to a lack of communication. This was a simple problem with a membership, but like any NMLRA membership problem, you can't get a written response for love or money. The only way to get a response is to call on the phone (and I can't do that) or figure out who to contact to mediate for you. (I still haven't been able to find out if the NMLRA has an ADA compliance officer/contact person, who would be the logical person to contact in regard to such communication problems).

I'm sure it sometimes seems like folks are "complaining to complain" but some of these problems have been going on for years with no attempt on the part of the NMLRA to address them.

People need to realize the Post Office is beyond horrible. We need to
replace it or do something--they are lazy and just throw away mail
rather than delivering it.
That happened a couple weeks ago in Philly, which is becoming more lawless all the time; mostly the PO is pretty OK, we can't expect Jeeves the Butler service, and we can use Fed Ex, etc. if we wish. Try getting Big Brown to deliver a letter from the East Coast to Alaska for 58 cents.

Back