• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

NMLRA fighting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Indiana really that far west? I know that in our woods walk group from this forum, MOST of shooters are from eastern states with a few that travel east from Iowa, Illinois, Missouri etc. They are traveling further east than anyone on the east coast would be traveling west.

Something more East could be more accessible to a lot of people including myself from Florida. Friendship is a 12hr+ drive from north Florida, anyone in the south FL could be as much as 18 hours.

Is Indiana really that far west? I know that in our woods walk group from this forum, MOST of shooters are from eastern states with a few that travel east from Iowa, Illinois, Missouri etc. They are traveling further east than anyone on the east coast would be traveling west.
I came from Warsaw Virginia this year.

For me it's really that far east, 19 hours one way minimum. Never been and at this stage in my life I have no plans on ever going. If I was 20 years younger it might be a different story.
I did get a membership either last year or the beginning of this year, to the best of my knowledge I have only received my Muzzle Blasts Magazines online which I've glanced through maybe one of them. I don't even remember if I received anything about elections and honestly not even sure I'll renew my membership, not because I have any problems with the leadership it's just I don't see any real benefit to me.

The NMLRA's Territorial match program brings standardized, national-quality competition out into the field for the benefit of shooters who cannot travel to Friendship, Indiana. For years Territorials have been held in individual states all around the country. In the Northeast, for example, dedicated volunteers have conducted these matches in NY, VT, NH, and ME. Many other states put on the same shooting programs. The Territorials offer aggregates for muzzleloading pistols and revolvers, percussion and flintlock rifles, smoothbores, traditional skills (long gun, knife, 'hawk, flint-and-steel fire starting), shotguns, and black powder cartridge rifles. Shooters must present a current membership card for the NMLRA or the NRA, and memberships are available at the ranges. The Territorial Program offers lots of fun and a solid challenge. If you enjoy a good test of marksmanship you owe it to yourself to participate in the NMLRA Territorials. Details are available at the NMLRA web site and in Muzzle Blasts, the monthly membership magazine.
AWHH SORRY THERES NO MAINE TERRITORIAL..OR NEWHAMPSHIRE. 2021 maine or for the past 3 years in new hampshire ..The Maine one got canned because they get half the money and no work..and demand that the results of match,,, WILL BE HERE in 2 weeks after..IT MADE the volunteer that puts it on think..I DONT LIKE your attitude iam done.WE have MORE fun without there hassle and demands.THEY are ok but need more regional applications to range access.DONT YOU THINK SO..?

used to be a member but I am not now. other than a magazine no gain for me. However if folks want to debate about the integrity of the organization....have at it. I am not actually using the range or participating in the governance of the organization . It actually provides a basis for whether one wants to join or not....and yes it is discussing muzzle loading and the surrounding activities. For those whom want to defend against the comments made ...have at it refute them plain and simple.

Well, just got back from Friendship.
This whole thing started with perfectly innocent questions, of which this forum allowed to be posted and debated, unlike the nmlra, which has prevented a public conversation to take place.
In fact, it would appear that some officials have come onto this forum and tried to squash this, as well.
I was surprised (and disappointed) to see the state of conditions at Friendship.
Bathrooms were appalling. Very old fixtures, in disrepair, not clean or properly stocked.
Reminded me of a backwater gas station.
From the 1960's.
The vendors buildings were likewise in poor repair (and more empty than occupied).
Everything is quite "rugged" to say the least. Claptrap comes to mind.
This is a multimillion dollar property and facilities, and it is run down. Decades of neglect.
Decades.
Wheelchairs? No ramps, loose gravel, boards to hold the rock in place....people with any special needs are out of luck.
As are the very young and very old.
Fall and trip hazards are many.
Food and drink? Hope you brought your own.
Perhaps the lack thereof is designed to reduce strain upon the restroom facilities.
And everything seems to be cash only. A concern for many reasons.
Folks, the place is not very inviting. The people are just great, but this is primitive, and not in a good way.
I cannot imagine how any insurance company would touch this, if it is indeed insured adequately.
I would expect (less a large cash infusion) that a reasonable updating of facilities would take five to ten years.
Likes on social media do not pay bills.
Advertising and promotion does not repair buildings, pour concrete, or put up signage or the other many things that must be done.
A lot can be done without big money.
The fact that even these things are ignored is demonstrable of the problems facing this wonderful old organization.
Despite cries of protest to the contrary, it is management.
It has to be, it always is, there is no escape.
This can be fixed.
It is not terminal. Unless management continues to deny reality, delete and ignore legitimate inquiry from legitimate members, forcing those of us who care about the future from having to drag this information out as is happening here.
However, should the current management continue on this course, I would not be surprised to see disintegration.
Much like the state of the facility.

I was a member of the NMLRA for about 20 plus years and then I got fed up with all the drama and infighting and quit the organization, in actuality there's not all that much benefit to belonging to the organization unless you attend the Nationals in Friendship, I never did.
My first experience with the leadership was back in the early '80's when a battle broke out between the organizational leadership and the groups that put on the regional rendezvous, they wanted to keep part of the event proceeds as seed money for the following years event as it was always done in the past (all monies accounted for of course), the leadership insisted that all monies be turned over to the organization, and an application be made by each group for the following years event seed money.
It got bad enough that some groups pulled away and went private, and the organization lost some good members.
From that point on for me it looked like the in fighting continued to be a normal part of the day to day running of the organization, I think the problem is that the leadership has become a big click that only cares about what goes on in the headquarters at Friendship and cares nothing about the membership past what it can contribute in funding.
IMHO the only way to fix the problems with the NMLRA is to elect the leadership by membership voting from a slate of candidates from across the country.
There needs to be an end to the central leadership in order to make it a National organization responsible to all it's members, not just a select few that attend the Nationals at friendship.
The rendezvous pissing contest cost the NMLRA many, many members.

Word (via Facebook) is that the first proposed bylaw amendment (requiring candidates for the BOD to have been members in good standing for 24 months at the time of the regular annual meeting) passed.

The other proposed amendments did not pass.

Yes, true. The South East ronny split off because NMLRA wanted to control it's funds. It was (might still be true) very successful on it's own. Age and health stopped me from participating anymore.

What was the name of that organization if you don't mind me asking? Do they have a site?

Pa. , W.Va. , and Ohio had a large membership in the NMLRA years ago. These days , I don't know of anyone including myself who holds a membership. One thing that stripped a lot of members away was the local artisan shows around the states. Most of those members quit , because they didn't have to go as far to display their gun art and buy needed parts. I was one of those.

What was the name of that organization if you don't mind me asking? Do they have a site?
They call it the Old North State Primitive Rendezvous. There is a site by the same name (Old North State Primitive Rendezvous)
They have a voo with the same dates as the original Southeastern but this year you have to preregister. No registration at the gate :/

Keb,

Here is what I got with your link?
"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /onsprendezvous/ on this server."

Back from Friendship, was last there is Sept 2019.

In all honesty the "grounds" around the offhand and pistol line were well mowed and taken care of. After that, I can not see that any improvements have been made to anything, not even one gallon of paint.

The cafeteria does provide decent food at reasonable prices, just don't put your forearm on the table covering, it's sticky no matter what table you sit at..

Skeggs has done a fair and decent evaluation of the place. If I traveled 1,000 for my first trip there, I would be totally disappointed, it is not a world class physical facility.

If you or someone in your family has physical challenges, this is not the place to go.

Last edited:
18 hrs, on a straight drive no stopping, only for gas, from RI. talk about JET LAG I was that way for a week after, it is insane but we do it. on the way back 23 hrs, talk about loving the sport. it was 56 yrs on my first trip to it that I met TURNER KIRKLAND at his small booth. I bought a BUFFALO HUNTER 58, CAL. from him for $ 46.00. boy those were the days, gone but not forgotten!!

A bit disheartening to hear from a younger guy like myself new to the hobby. Maybe its time for us young guys to start making new orgs.
As @Skeggs said near the end of his post, "This can be fixed."

I can sympathize with @Osseon 's discouragement, but the NMLRA does have a long and honorable history, and as far as I know, their facility at Friendship may be unique in its scope and breadth. I think it would be very difficult to build anything remotely like it today, especially in the eastern states. The population of the USA has more than doubled in my lifetime, and the NMLRA is a lot older than I am. That increased population, not to mention changing attitudes, makes it very difficult to start up a shooting facility of any kind. The ranges at Friendship are already there.

Rather than starting from scratch with new organizations, I think restoring the old one might be the way to go. I've always believed you can accomplish more with cooperation than conflict, and the key to cooperative effort is in finding "common ground," something on which both factions can agree. It sounds as if some fairly straightforward, if extensive, repair and renovation of the range facilities would be something on which the entire board can agree.

Just my opinion.

Notchy Bob

My local gun club, the BOD votes on the president. I call BS to that. But whatever.
At my club the membership votes on the club President each year! There are nine BOD and they vote on one to be chairman. The President has on vote on the Board and can Veto anything not within our mission statement. The chairman is the tie breaker if it ever comes to that. So far worked for 70 years!!!

Back