• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Nitrated cartridges and water glass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I mentioned in another post that I have been shooting smoke-wagons since the early 70's, but have never fired conicals. Well, I cast about 100 of them and decided to make up some self consuming cartridges just for the helluva it.

So I nitrated and cut paper, and then did the whole glue thing with water glass (sodium silicate). The cartridges are damned cool looking, but I'm wondering about the water glass. In the first dozen or so I really slopped it on. Will it retard combustion? I put one big dot on the end of each envelope where the percussion cap should blast through, and folded over a lot of paper relatively speaking. Will this be a problem?

Thanks for the benefit of your experience. This obviously isn't necessary, but it sure is a lotta fun!

I also made up some .44 & .36 caliber paper cartridges using the Eras Gone bullets & water glass on nitrated coffee filters. I applied it as I would have used a glue stick. I have yet to try them because all the ranges are closed near me either because of the COVID-19 issue or the many fires here in CA near me. Since this is what was used in the war between the states it should be fine now a days:thumb:.

I mentioned in another post that I have been shooting smoke-wagons since the early 70's, but have never fired conicals. Well, I cast about 100 of them and decided to make up some self consuming cartridges just for the helluva it.

So I nitrated and cut paper, and then did the whole glue thing with water glass (sodium silicate). The cartridges are damned cool looking, but I'm wondering about the water glass. In the first dozen or so I really slopped it on. Will it retard combustion? I put one big dot on the end of each envelope where the percussion cap should blast through, and folded over a lot of paper relatively speaking. Will this be a problem?

Thanks for the benefit of your experience. This obviously isn't necessary, but it sure is a lotta fun!

It could be.

Original cartridges did not have a glued bottom and in fact it was a flat bottom with a single thin piece of paper up against the back of the chamber. You can easily see the flat bottom in pictures of period cartridges.

What method are you using? There are ways to mimic the flat bottoms.

If you find they aren’t reliable, just prick the bottom of the cart before seating them in so a little powder is exposed. They should work fine then.

Homesteader, there's quite a bit of info in Search under "nitrated paper cartridges.":thumb: To apply the waterglass sparingly, cut and discard one fuzzy end from a Q-tip. Use the new bare end on the remaining portion as an applicator.

Last edited:
I use a fine artist brush to apply the waterglass. You can buy a bunch of the imitation camel hair ones for cheap on line:thumb:.

I dipped the end of a wooden match, shook off the excess, and touched it to the paper. It can’t have been much, but it sure looks like it on that paper. Well, hopefully I can hit the range this week, so should know soon.

Back