• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NIPPLES

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctshep97

32 Cal.
Reaction score
when installing or replacing nipples should you put antisieze or similar on the threads

I have copper-based anti-size that I use for various things. I used it a while on rifle nipples, but have decided it's generally more trouble than it's (theoretically) worth. If I'm using a gun regularly I just put a little gun oil on the nipple when screwing it in. If it's going to sit for some time, I'll put the anti-seize on it.

I don’t remove nipples every time I clean. But if I do remove a nipple (or touch hole) I apply a tiny dab of T/C anti-seize. I have a nipple in an Old Army cylinder I can’t get out now, I figure anti-seize is cheap and easy insurance.
A friend gave me two revolvers his grandson had shot and put in a dry basement with out cleaning. I had a @#$% time getting the nipples out of the first. I got a can of kroil and soaked the second one overnight, all of the nipples came out with no problem. So I would recomend you try some kroil on yours.As you say a little antisieze is cheap insurance for future removal.

I have a nipple in an Old Army cylinder I can’t get out now, I figure anti-seize is cheap and easy insurance.
I haven't had a problem like this, but I have yet to find a frozen thread situation that PB Blaster didn't solve. At times it's taken repeated applications over a week, and having the fastener in the right orientation so the PB Blaster will work into the threads better. But it's always worked for me. If you haven't tried it already, it's worth a try.

their is no good reason not to. I put anti seize on most threads when putting things back together. dosn't cost much and can save much frustration later.

Every time for me.
Anti Seize.JPG

I use the copper anti-sieze on all my muskets and revolvers
If you shoot around 100 rounds of .58 musket rds in a week end, you will see that a little drop of oil, will not suffice. Same in revolver competition use ant-sieze, on the cones.
I have been asked buy people to clean up theyre revolvers, that I have had to drill the cones out of the cylinder, all because they didnt cean them properly, or use good lube on the cones.
Dave

I’ve been using Militec-1 grease for 20 years on nipples, choke tubes and breech plugs. Works great. Militec gave me sample oil and grease 20 years ago, I’ve since bought their oil several times but the sample grease is still going strong, a little goes a long way.

https://www.militec-1.com/

I keep it simple. Mobil1 synthetic grease is a great product to use with black powder arms. It doesn't adversely react to fouling and stays soft. I use it on both my Sharps and it goes on the nipple of every arm I shoot. A side benefit- there was a batch of nipples sold with improper heat treating. They'd break flush across the threads. It's happened three times to me and twice, the nipple was put in with Mobil1 and I was able to tease the nipple back out without resorting to a trip to a gunsmith. The first time I was using a dot of white lithium grease and it was a bear to remove the remains of the nipple.

Back