• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipples plugging

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just use boiling water until the breach is to hot to touch. When its aired some coat the bore and external with a beeswax/olive oil mix. Job done.
No need to roll a trouser leg up and sprinkle the blood of a day old chick all over the thing 🤦‍♂️
Unless you are at a cross road at midnight and there's a full moon.

Otherwise knowing that hot water is flowing easily through the barrel, flash channel and nipple seat. Then if the barrel, flash channel and the hole in the nipple is clear you should be ready to shoot a few rounds.

My boy's jukar barrel with patten breech will "flouling plug" if you run your cleaning patch all of the way down, if you leave it about an inch from the bottom it will fire every time.

A suggestion. If the patch is to wet when swabbing between shots, you may be getting moisture in the patented breech. If that happens the new powder you pour in will get wet. I had that problem more than once and it was difficult to set off the main load with the caps. Then I went to this. Try using a misting spray bottle to control how moist you get your swabbing patch. After swabbing with a moist patch then swab with a dry patch to wipe out any extra moisture. Also if your swabbing patch is to tight when wiping it is possible you may be pushing crud into the patented breech also. When swabbing between shots with the moist patch, just push down and pull it out and the same with the dry patch to follow, don't pump it up and down as you would for cleaning.

Zonie has a point also, but you say the first round goes off, and the second doesn't after swabbing which make me wonder with what I wrote. DANNY

I shoot 2 rifles, a Pendersoli Frontier 50 cal and lyman 50 cal. Pendersoli is new i shoot once and clean it and shoot again the cap goes off but not powder . i try 3 or 4 caps and same. Im useing goex 2f cause i have a 58 cal also. Is the bottom of the nipple plugged?
Try scraping the breech face between shots when cleaning. What can happen is if the port is to close to the breech face then powder fouling builds up on the breech face and plugs the flash hole over. This would primarily be from a drum and nipple arrangement that comes in through the barrel wall.

I have the same rifle, Pedersoli .50 percussion. When cleaning I get at the patent breech with a .22 cal brush with a patch on it. Clean with water, displace with alcohol, dry it and lube with Ballistol. I pull the nipple every time and let it soak in Ballistol while cleaning the rifle. Then dry the nipple and make sure the hole is clear.

At the range: couple dry patches, fire off a couple of caps, then good to go. No issues at all.

after I clean and oil the barrel of either my .50 Green River or thhe Pedersoli flintlock they get put in the storage rack muzzle down on a piece of white paper towel. That will soak up the oil as it migrates out the muzzle instead of making an oily mess in the breech. You will be surprised at the stain on the towel and I clean carefully.
Load 'em heavy boys They air a'comin'
Bunk

This one is easy:

1. Remove the nipple and clean the flame channel with a bristled pipe cleaner.

2. Keep the nipple clean.

3. Lean the rifle on it's lock side when loading the powder and give the stock a couple slaps with the hand. This will allow powder to enter the patent breech and flame channel.

Cleaning; I remove the nipple let it soak in soapy water while I clean out the flash area with rubbing alcohol pipe cleaners and qu-tips. A pipe cleaner is also used to clean the flash channel into the barrel. I use a pipe cleaner to clean the top chamber of the nipple and a small diameter wire to clean the bottom chamber. Once cleaned I hold the nipple up to a light and look through the top end to ensure not obstructions exist.

Try scraping the breech face between shots when cleaning. What can happen is if the port is to close to the breech face then powder fouling builds up on the breech face and plugs the flash hole over. This would primarily be from a drum and nipple arrangement that comes in through the barrel wall.
The rifle is a Pedersoli Frontier. It has a chambered breech. A breech scraper won't fit into the reduced from bore diameter chambered breech. The 22 caliber brush with a patch is a better choice for cleaning the chambered breech and the breech face.

clean it very well , make sure that flash channel is clean and clear

lube with an all natural lube like ox yoke or bore butter

now , put a sock over the muzzle and store it muzzle down

even bore butter and oxyoke creep when they creep down into a Patten breech you get good ignition a time or a few times but it plugs up quick with fouling and oil or lube , mineral oil is the worst

I shoot 2 rifles, a Pendersoli Frontier 50 cal and lyman 50 cal. Pendersoli is new i shoot once and clean it and shoot again the cap goes off but not powder . i try 3 or 4 caps and same. Im useing goex 2f cause i have a 58 cal also. Is the bottom of the nipple plugged?
I agree sounds like fouled powder. I use 3f in all my smoke poles. And after cleaning I stand the rifles on their muzzles for a couple days to make sure any cleaning fluid drains out. Also after cleaning I fill the barrel with boiling water and let stand a couple minutes then dump the water out. It heats the barrel and the moisture evaporates. Had an old timer pass this along to me.

I agree sounds like fouled powder. I use 3f in all my smoke poles. And after cleaning I stand the rifles on their muzzles for a couple days to make sure any cleaning fluid drains out. Also after cleaning I fill the barrel with boiling water and let stand a couple minutes then dump the water out. It heats the barrel and the moisture evaporates. Had an old timer pass this along to me.

I pour through with near boiling water and let it run out the nipple hole or flash channel then stand them up muzzle down after lubing the bore.

very similar same effect

also use 3Fg for everything

Grimord is correct about the small diameter chambered breech area. I wish Pedersoli would drill it out to a larger area. It is only about 1/4" in diameter and it is really easy to push crude into that area when cleaning. The idea of a .22 brush to get in this area is great, just be careful you don't get the brush stuck or you'll have a major problem. An air compressor is a great to apply pressure to the nipple to blow crude out.

after the shot , pull the hammer to halfcock , make sure the cap is clear of the nipple and hammer cup . then listen for the hiss while you run the patch , if you hear a good hiss from the air coming out the nipple when you run a moisten patch between shots. then you should be able to get fire to the charge.

no hiss = plugged nipple or flash channel

Back