• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipples plugging

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I have said before I always load with the hammer down on the nipple After a days decoying or such I dismantle the barrels and place the breach end in a half bucket of boiling water with the nipples in place ,I never remove the nipples if they get cross threads can cause a heap of trouble,, Then with a few drops of black powder solvent in each barrel muzzle taking a cleaning rod with a nylon bristle brush I scrub out the bore using a pump action which draws water into the bore and out through the nipples . I then remove the barrels from the bucket and flush them out with clean boiling water, allow to dry then lightly oil the each bore a oil saturated bore is not needed . That is my method and I can shoot all day with no misfires
Feltwad

I never bought a patent breeched gun due the cleaning problems in the field, and at home that you describe and will hear about in other in other posts in this thread.
The Italians seem to be in love with them and put them in many models that that never had them originally. The original Mortimers, and some others of their type were patent breeched as far as I know.
There is no excuse for putting them in their smoothbore trade guns and copies of American rifles. I blame this situation on the likelihood that the owners, designers, and product engineers of the various Italian replica companies are not black powder shooters at all except for maybe firing 5 to 10 shots every year or so ( if that often ) during some media or industry event, after which some lower-level employee totally disassembles the gun in the shop and takes care of the cleaning and reassembly after the shooting is done.
What I am saying is that the Italian management likely never has to deal with problems inherent with patent breech guns.

Hawkens had them.

No problem with your opinion. However. I dont clean in the field. Never had to and I dont brush or use any tool to clean the patent breach when at home.
In my humble opinion. It is cleaning to much that is causing the problem. Not the design of the breach!

Works for me too: Never cleaned a patent breech or snapped caps. Caps are now a precious commodity in the USA.

any one ever think of using MAGIUM CAP'S. seems as that they are very much hotter that they will be less prone to plugin the nipple hole?

any one ever think of using MAGIUM CAP'S. seems as that they are very much hotter that they will be less prone to plugin the nipple hole?
My new to me Beretta likes a hot cap. I do have some old Eley shotgun primers. They resemble a large percussion cap and not a 209 primer. I pull the copper anvil out and then I have a very hot cap indeed!
When I use to go to an organised shoot I would start the day with a couple. They would light anything up!

Latest posts

Back