• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Nipples for Taylor's & Co 1860 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
recently came into a pre-owned Taylor's & Co 1860 Army with a nice action and bore but the nipples need replacing, specifically they appear to be slightly mushroomed and will not reliably set off a cap ( cap seating an issue). No problem I says, I just happen to have a set of Butler Creek replacment nipples I got from Ken Kinkaid at Muzzleloading and More in Oregon. These replacement nipples fit my other C&B pistols so I was quite surprised to discover that the threaded nipple threads are too big for the cylinder nipple thread holes.
Does anyone with a Taylors & Co 1860 revolver know what size nipples they need ?
;

eRf2jZDh.jpg

KNzZJ02h.jpg

Last edited:
You can file off the mushroom by putting the nipple in an electric drill after taping the threads and holding a file to the side of the nipple. Check often to see if the cap fits, it doesn't take much. You can also take the nipple to the hardware store and check the fit on the thread checking board.

From Taylor’s website. Appears Uberti and Pietta use different size threads for their 1860 models nipples, at least according to Taylor’s. And just to stir the pot a bit more, Uberti uses 1/4-28 threads for the nipples in their Walkers if I remember correctly.
1610682804283.jpeg

Last edited:
just take the bad nipple to a hardware store and find a metric nut that will screw onto the threaded part of the nipple. the thread on the nut is the size

Back