• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Nipples and cap fit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer12345

40 Cal
Reaction score
My buddy bought a Pietta 1858 tonight as his first BP revolver. I am about out of remington #10 caps, but have an ample supply of RWS 1075 Plus and CCI #11s I can share with him. He will try those on his factory nipples (neither fits my Uberti factory nipples), but if they don't fit I imagine that a set of aftermarket nipples is probably the way to go. Is slixshot the best choice? I think the biggest issue is finding nipples that will fit the caps I have on hand.

The only way I have found great results is "Peening" the nipples a bit larger a little at a time til you get a good fit with a pointed punch works well. touch up with fine files. Turn in drill press for smaller fit. I fit all my match Caplocks and Revolvers for CCI #11s for example. All cap brands fit different. Match results have proved this method to be reliable...c

RWS 1075 are a little more snug than a CCI #11, they may be just fine on his revolver. When I switched from CCI #11 to RWS 1075 on my rifles, I had to turn the nipples down a little to get a good fit.

RWS 1075 are a little more snug than a CCI #11, they may be just fine on his revolver. When I switched from CCI #11 to RWS 1075 on my rifles, I had to turn the nipples down a little to get a good fit.
Ihave had good success with the CCI#11 on Slixshot cones.The RWS 1075 work on second strike 100% but first strike almost 0%.
Good luck
Bunk

The slix shot nipples and #11 caps were a good solution on my 1861 Pietta revolver. Not too expensive and it's nice to be able to use the same caps on rifle and revolver.

The only way I have found great results is "Peening" the nipples a bit larger a little at a time til you get a good fit with a pointed punch works well. touch up with fine files. Turn in drill press for smaller fit. I fit all my match Caplocks and Revolvers for CCI #11s for example. All cap brands fit different. Match results have proved this method to be reliable...c
I acquired 7000 RWS caps two years ago. Chucked the nipples of my most fired revolvers in a drill and fitted them to the 1075’s. They will still fire 11’s of course, just give the 11 a slight pinch with thumb and forefinger.

There's more to it than that. There is a LOT of other things robbing mainspring power over cap to nipple fit.

Mike
True, but if the cap slips onto the cone and seats with a relatively gentle press so the priming compound is seated against the top of the cone it won’t take much hammer velocity or inertia to ignite the cap. FWIW.

Yap, but the left bolt arm on Pietta's is so thick (much less on the Uberti) which is part of the "tuning process"!! Lol, that is the most "power robbing" thing for ignition!!

(Deals with arm thickness as well as cam height)

Mike

Yap, but the left bolt arm on Pietta's is so thick (much less on the Uberti) which is part of the "tuning process"!! Lol, that is the most "power robbing" thing for ignition!!

(Deals with arm thickness as well as cam height)

Mike
I so seldom send guns out for work Mike. I’ll do some of this but I usually start with the cheapest, easiest solutions first. if that’s enuf then that might be where I stop. I have ended up with som nearly stock guns with fantastic actions in just this way. Others have shown enough potential to get more in-depth treatment. It’s pretty variable. A moving target so to speak…

I have Slixshots in a couple of my pistols and they are great. The 1075s have a good fit on the stock nipples of my Pietta 58 Remington but have experienced several flashes and misfires with that brand but none with Remington or Winchester caps so it must be a bad batch.

Back