• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple wrench thingy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eutycus

Cannon
Reaction score
Several times in the past homemade nipple wrenches were discussed on this forum. Particularly the ones made out of 1/4 sockets. Great idea and they do work. I got a question (or two) involving them. What you y'all use for the "handle"? Almost anything from a screwdriver to a ratchet would get the job done. What sort of "thingy" is carried in the bag to turn or tighten the nipple?
20210109_223816.jpg

Oh, I have another question about these socket nipple wrenches. Do any of you bother to cold blue the socket as a rust preventative?

I see what you mean but the chrome was removed on the outside of this particular socket because I used a little bit bigger one than what was called for. I used a 7/32" or 6 (or 7) metric, I forget which,. Some oddball that I knew I'd probably never need. And filed it down so it would fit in the nipple recess or what ever you call those "notches" on the rear of the cylinder. In making the socket thinner, I removed the chrome.

I sometimes use a nut driver as well mainly so these old hands can't apply too much torque. I feel the nipples do not need to be tightened to the extent that a ratchet could do.Somehow that yellow plastic handle on the nutdriver just looks out of place.

Last edited:
In my kit I have the correct hardened and tempered nipple wrench for a revolver. I made a nipple wrench from a 5 mm nut driver in my kit. Sometimes I need the longer length of the nut driver to get past the hammer. I have also made several of the nipple wrenches to use in a hex drive screwdriver. The hex drive will also fit in my 1/4" hex drive impact tool. When I bring home a new revolver, I take it completely apart for inspection before taking it to the range. That's when I find I may have to use the nipple removing jig, a heavy bench vise with two chamber sized rods in the cylinder and the impact tool to remove the nipples.

I use a regular nipple wrench for most of the my long guns except an Italian Zouave. If I remember right, on the Zouave I use a very small 5mm open end wrench.

Last edited:
I agree on a new revolver but the nipples don't have to be "gorilla tight" on the cylinder after the originals have been removed for the first time, do they?

The nipples just need to be snug tight. If you can maintain a good grip on the socket, then yes, it should get the nipples snug tight. This will allow the nipples to be removed without the use of profanity and getting your tongue in the proper place while reversing the threads.

Then that should do it for this thread , there will be another in the future about homemade nipple wrenches.Thanks to one and all for your replies.

I use Allen wrenches they work well with Craftsmen 1/4 sockets the square drive is smaller than other sockets most other brands the square drive too large. The long end is good extra tight nipples the short end toques nipples just right.

Latest posts

Back