• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Nipple Wear Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back when I first started shooting my .54 New Englander I was told when the hammer rebounded to the half cock position when the gun was fired it was time to put in a new nipple. Just wondering how others decide when a new nipple is called for?

When I see the accuracy of my rifle beginning to fall off from the norm, I change to a new nipple. It is surprising how much of a difference a new nipple can make.

Like Fyrstck said,, (for those of us that are after that utmost accuracy for target shooting) I'll begin seeing the groups open a bit. With my load combos it usually happens around 5-600 shots on the nipple.
By the time hammer blow-back is happening it's time for a new nipple.

i noticed quite an improvement in the accuracy on my tc .50cal when i install a new nipple.
i however wonder what becomes of the accuracy on the flintlocks when the owners drill out their touch holes. in theory it should have the same effect on the accuracy as a blown out nipple.

Considering how huge the cross sectional area of a flinter flash hole is compared to a tiny nipple hole, I've asked the question before about long range accuracy with fast twist flinters. I'm gonna find out sooner or later for myself.

My preferred thoughts on the matter boil down to the high velocity flaming clots of molten sulfur and salt peter do not flow around corners and out of any orifice the same way every time and the smaller the hole the less possible variations are introduced relative to the overall volume. And that the greater the available flow channel is the more variations you incur as it gunks up during shooting. But I cannot do much towards testing that theory until my fast twist steampunk flinter is fitted for long range.

bore_butter said:
i however wonder what becomes of the accuracy on the flintlocks when the owners drill out their touch holes. in theory it should have the same effect on the accuracy as a blown out nipple.

It does! The effect on group size is much more noticeable and dramatic with a pistol. One cylinder full will print all tens and the next cylinder will be all over the map--it's that sudden. The same happens with a flint pistol. There seems to be a "tipping point" where the increased gas loss through the eroding nipple/touch hole causes groups to open dramatically. A master class shooter at Friendship last month was shooting his flint pistol, shot four 10s followed by two fives! The next four shots were also scattered. This is a person that can call their shots and the wide shots could not be explained by bad sight picture or trigger release. Measuring showed the touch hole had eroded, apparently beyond the critical point. A new liner restored the accuracy.

LJA said:
There seems to be a "tipping point" where the increased gas loss through the eroding nipple/touch hole causes groups to open dramatically,,
,,A new liner restored the accuracy.
True enough :thumbsup:
I think that's the point Good Cheer is missing,, at least the way I read his post :hmm:
It's not the idea of a flash channel becoming plugged from continued shooting in a session,, but the high pressures from the exhaust venting through the flash channel that erodes nipples/flash holes that causes the change to group

THBailey said:
Back when I first started shooting my .54 New Englander I was told when the hammer rebounded to the half cock position when the gun was fired it was time to put in a new nipple. Just wondering how others decide when a new nipple is called for?

Yes, no and maybe. Hammer blow back can be caused by several factors. Nipple design and/or wear can be one of them. Excessive charges can be another. If in doubt, change nipple, they are relatively inexpensive disposable anyway.

I've owned a T/C New Englander .50cal for about 30 years. Shot it on and off over the years, and still use the same nipple with at least 300 rounds fired through it. When I first got the rifle I had hammer blow back to half-cock from the very first shot. Returned the rifle to T/C and they replaced the main spring, said that the spring was weak. Problem sort of resolved, as long as fouling is wiped out of the bore between shots, no more blow back. I currently shoot 90 gr. GOEX with a .490 PRB. I usually swab between shots depending on how I feel. Loading without swabbing the bore gets really hard about mid-way down the barrel (that's where my barrel has a tight spot) so swabbing becomes imperative. If I do not swab, I will get the blow back by the third shot if I am able to even load. This was more evident when shooting Maxi-Balls. Hammer blow back as mentioned can be caused by many factors, but the easiest thing to check is to swab between each shot to see if the problem goes away. If not then I would change the nipple and try (still swabbing between shots), if that isn't working then you may want to try to find a replacement main spring or lock.

Latest posts

Back