• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Nipple vs. Caps solutions...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hurt`s me to see fellow pistol shooters struggle due to sellers trying to sell stuff you don`t need or just no or bad directions from makers. First decide which caps you want to use. My crono and flash tests have shown cci and rws to be the only match worthy caps so far...Flash hole should not be bigger than .03-.04in. with all being even in a revolver. If they are loose the best short term solution is to just bend them in a little. Long term solution; Use a nail and hammer tapping gently to expand nipple to cap checking for fit as you tap...If caps are tight (Clue; the gun fires on second strike) short term solution is to use a small finger nail type clipper to cut half way down the wall of your caps...Long term solution; You need a drill or better yet a lathe and files and emory. Chuck nipple in drill/lathe ,file and emory to your cap size checking for fit as you go... I have found buying new nipples before they wear out just means fitting another new set of nipples...Hope this helps. When trying to learn technical stuff over the years I always prefered to know the guy I was getting it from had some success in my sport, (NMLRA/NRA Muzzleloading Pistol) so in case you need references just check the national match results and national records w/nmlra...Charles Garvey

Throw away those POS nipples that came in the gun. Get Slix-Shot nipples and Remington #10 caps along with a lighter main spring and bang away happily.
My pair of 1860 armies are so equipped and so far 600 total rounds and one cap jam because of an RWS1075 cap that got used by mistake. Caps are seated with a wood dowel and I do not have second strikes.
But you do what you think best.
Bunk

Never pinch or modify primers to make them fit revolvers.. They are to be snug for a reason. To keep hot gas out. Pinching primers is asking for chain fire.
Every revolver I have, including one 46 years old and others 20 have the original nipples. Including 2 spare cylinders for 3 and 6 spares for a matching pair. Only one purchased just last year for a rifle did I have to spin and hone to fit.

Yes, you could spend $40 on slix nipples shipped,and you could spend another $16 for a lighter mainspring instead of just using a grinding wheel for short while as we did before the new stuff came on the market. So now you are still stuck with whatever caps might fit until you tune/size the nipples. Champs are winning with CCI and RWS caps. You are not likely to find any using remington caps for matches as they know from other Champs how inconsistent they can be. We need our gun`s to win at 25 and 50 yards on NRA Bullseye targets. big targets, close range targets , action shooting not needing the same level of precision. I agree the slix and after market colt main spring do work. I have a Pietta 1860 set up using them both nut tuned for CCI #11s. Worked well enough to win the High Master Colt open top Agg. Spring 2019. Doe`s not work any better than factory stuff after tuning. Good experiment but waste of my funds.I would suggest Track of wolfs stainless above slix thin wall type. Easy to damage and harder to tune...c

Never pinch or modify primers to make them fit revolvers.. They are to be snug for a reason. To keep hot gas out. Pinching primers is asking for chain fire.
Every revolver I have, including one 46 years old and others 20 have the original nipples. Including 2 spare cylinders for 3 and 6 spares for a matching pair. Only one purchased just last year for a rifle did I have to spin and hone to fit.

Guess I`m just too dangerous to be allowed on the firing line. Maybe report me to the range officer at the Nationals. #13 or 14. Make my fellow Competitors very happy if you are right...c

Hi No Second Place,
We are in two different games. I appreciate what you do and congratulations to you on the win. That is not easy and I suspect the competition is fierce.
My game is big targets up close against time. Minute of Moose is all I want but every time I pull the hammer I want a bang. My guns are set up with cap rakes so cap jams are non existent.Lighter main springs for faster cocking.
We are both having fun and that is what counts.
Make smoke!!
Bunk

Understandable. Most of our matches are 10 -15 shots in a 30min relay. Even our limited time fire matches is 1min. per shot... Our targets 10 ring is about 3 1/2in. at 25 and 50yds. They don`t have to be perfectly reliable, but it`s nice...c

For those who do not know who Charles Garvey (No second place) is, the man can shoot and he know of what he speaks.

Winning the High Master in Friendship is not easy and he has done it more than once.

Back