• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Nipple thread locker?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RG96

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’m working on an old double barrel and the threads for the nipples seem kinda shallow. The nipples thread in fine and tight so I really don’t think they would pose any problems (please tell me if that’s wrong) but I was wondering if anyone uses thread locker of Teflon tape or something on their nipples. I mostly just want to keep any crud from getting into the threads.

I’m working on an old double barrel and the threads for the nipples seem kinda shallow. The nipples thread in fine and tight so I really don’t think they would pose any problems (please tell me if that’s wrong) but I was wondering if anyone uses thread locker of Teflon tape or something on their nipples. I mostly just want to keep any crud from getting into the threads.

If the nipple’s flush down tight, no need to worry my friend.

Teflon tape/ thread locker is not needed. To ease your mind about foreign matter or residue? Just a pin head amount of an anti seize grease such as BC Choke Tube Lube or equivalent can be applied to the nipple threads.

Respectfully, Cowboy

I wouldn’t use any thread locker either. Just a bit of grease and you should be good to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the add-ons are not necessary, as long as the cone is tightened correctly. The other items are just "feel good measures". As long as the threads are not damaged, nothing else is needed.
I remove the cone after a day at the range. It's just a part of the overall cleaning. Inspect the treads and flush out the flash channel and remove all the BP residue from the barrel. Dry all parts and reassemble. The firearm is ready for the next outing.

Back