• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder14

32 Cal.
Reaction score
F8741BA9-FF5B-4D36-867C-A5710046B949.jpeg This is my first percussion rifle and i need some information are all 6x1 nipples the same I just picked up a CVA Frontier 50cal. And wondering are all the 6x1 nipples the same or are there different lengths and flash hole sizes.I know there is a difference in the flash hole liner hole in my flint locks even though they are a 1/4 x28 same thread size but different hole size for different rifle makers.
Thank you

Track of the wolf has real good selection and give descriptions of application.
They provide physical measurements too.

The nipples are not all the same size. There are differences in cone heighth, relief holes (Hot Shot or Spitfire), design to optimize use of substitute powders, and length if threads. Your rifle should be pretty standard. You do want a small touch hole to minimize blowback. I use the Hot Shot nipple in most of my percussion rifles.

There is no industry standard (that I’ve ever seen) for nipple dimensions. Each mfg will have their own spec. There is actually differences in #11 caps themselves from maker to maker.
Metric M6 x 1.0 should only be thread difference in the mfg nipple.
FYI- Measured an original Whitworth Platinum lined nipple years ago and the PT hole was 0.030”.
Good luck with your new Percussion rifle.

Back