• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Nipple seems too loose

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perf94

40 Cal
Reaction score
I acquired a Investarms Hawken recently that seems to have a nipple thread that is too loose. I have tried several different nipples of the appropriate size and the nipple is loose until it bottoms out on the final thread?
Can the nipple threads in the rifle be drilled and re-tapped?

Don't know if they sell oversize metric,but they do sell about 5 sizes up from the standard US 1/4x28 thread. You might be better going that route.

The correct thread for your gun should be 6x.75 mm. Track lists a repair nipple, 7x.75 mm. You would have to tap to that size since it's .039" larger. I don't see a 7x.75 tap though. Your only other choice would be to drill it out and tap for a US thread. BTW, have you checked Dixie Gun Works, they used to carry oversize nipples? Just how loose is too loose? Male threads are smaller than female threads so they will screw in resulting in some play.

When all else fails , take the barrel off and send it to The Log Cabin Shop and let them do the repairs before doing any damage to the barrel.

When I read the OP post I got the impression that he is not savvy in using such tools to do a repair of any major kind (drilling & tapping for a bigger nipple) ) I think FishDFly has the best answer for the OP.

To quote Clint Eastwood, a man has to know his limitations, I know mine.

If I cannot fix it, it goes north, it costs less in the long run. and the rifle is not ruined.

A previous owner may very well have already re-tapped the hole. I'll check the threads and size this evening when I get home. I do have the tools and skill to enlarge and re-tap the hole, I just wanted input from more experienced folks. And I got it.
Thanx to all for your input.
Jerry

Most nipples do indeed wiggle just a bit until they are fully screwed in. How much wiggle are we talking about here?

If you have an understanding hardware store you could take the barrel in and try some various thread sizes.

Gave this problem or lack there of some thought my friend.

Several options come to mind to include what my last resort would be? I personally wouldn’t tap the breech plug.

1. Would see if the last couple of turns of the nipple has no play until it bottoms out. If it has no play “ wiggle “ you do not have a problem.

2. Could try sizing the thread at a hardware store like already mentioned to see if you can match the thread? They’d definitely have to be an understanding business to let you bring the barrel in? Guess you could buy several sizes to bring home I guess? Problem is with that is most places I ever been to don’t sell an individual screw or bolt? If so, you have to be careful in matching up the correct thread pitch? Don’t want to physically force a questionable thread size?

3. Could try teflon tape on the existing nipple to take up the play, if the nipple is solidly bottoming out that is!

Lastly, and is probably what I would do. Like already mentioned, I’d get a quote and have the barrel sent in to have it professionally tapped to the thread size that would be recommended by them? I’d personally ask for 1/4x28 standard if at all possible?

Anyway, if you don’t feel comfortable in doing it yourself my friend, I’d have it professionally done wether it’d be Log Cabin Shop or anyone else of your choosing?

Best of luck to you. Please keep us posted on the outcome?

Respectfully, Cowboy

Last edited:
I acquired a Investarms Hawken recently that seems to have a nipple thread that is too loose. I have tried several different nipples of the appropriate size and the nipple is loose until it bottoms out on the final thread?
Can the nipple threads in the rifle be drilled and re-tapped?
The bolsters are soft enough and threads close enough in size so you don’t have to drill. Get the next size up, (bottoming tap) and turn it in. TOW has a good selection of sizes.

Some good advice here and some over the top advice also. Keep it simple. I would first inspect the threads closely, do they look in good shape? If yes, then take it to a real (not Lowes) hardware store and have them assist you in determining the thread size. Buy some nipples of that size. If the threads are not in good shape then it is best to drill it out and re-tap to a size up. If you are drilling it out it doesn't matter what size you move up to (as far as buying a tap). I recently re-tapped a CVA to m7x1, I tapped another out last year to 1/4 x 28. This is not at all hard to do as long as you research instructions first.

Latest posts

Back