• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple seems too loose

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3. Could try teflon tape on the existing nipple to take up the play, if the nipple is solidly bottoming out that is!
DO NOT try this. If the nipple is truly loose in the threads, nylon tape will not hold up to the heat of ignition. There is a danger in this situation, tape or not, of the nipple blowing out during firing. This can be dangerous but usually the hammer deflects the nipple. But if a weak mainspring is involved, the nipple can blow past the hammer. Both of these scenarios have happened to me, hence the repairs mentioned above.
The one, I did not notice until after I reloaded and went to the firing line. Pulled hammer to half cock and discovered there was no where to place the cap. The other one, the nipple blew off to the left very close to my face. That one was my CVA mountain rifle that I had progressive issues with the drum. The original tap job was not done very well and I would get thread cutting on the nipple threads rather quickly. I never looked at it really close before the blow out, I would just replace the nipples. After that instance, I inspected it very closely and discovered the tapped hole for the nipple was eliptical, not round.

Much of this advice is useful and it wood seem that a loose nipple is not all that uncommon. I am intrigued about the use of teflon tape. I had not thought of such a simple solution to the problem! How many ML shooters have used teflon tape to secure a loose nipple and were any issues encountered?

The bolsters are soft enough and threads close enough in size so you don’t have to drill. Get the next size up, (bottoming tap) and turn it in. TOW has a good selection of sizes.

Maybe! I tried simply running the tap into the stripped threads in a TC and it was a non starter (literally). TC still had warranty so I returned it to them and they rebreached it.

Much of this advice is useful and it wood seem that a loose nipple is not all that uncommon. I am intrigued about the use of teflon tape. I had not thought of such a simple solution to the problem! How many ML shooters have used teflon tape to secure a loose nipple and were any issues encountered?
DO NOT use tape. It will not hold the pressure. 💥

What I was referring to when I said Teflon tape was that if the breech plug nipple threads were not stripped out and that the nipple solidly tightened down to its base.

The tape could relieve the wiggling and acts as a guide as the nipple tightens down securely to its base.

If the threads are stripped, in no way would I apply the tape.

I have applied tape to the threads in the past with somewhat loose nipple’s as long as the nipple securely tightens when bottomed out.

Tape is used in conjunction to a nipple that securely tightens when bottomed out by its own threads my friends. One tight wrap counter clockwise to the thread while simultaneously applying thumb pressure to the thread. One tight wrap is all that is needed.

I will add that this method is not my first choice though. The right solution is to have the breech plug retapped for an oversized nipple.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Last edited:
Years ago a game warden friend was working a conservation area check station when a fellow holding a bloodstained handkerchief to his forehead drove up with a deer to be checked. He asked the fellow what happened. The man had a CVA Kentucky rifle. He said the nipple blew out across his forehead when he shot the deer. My buddy says: "Boy, that must have hurt!" Removing the handkerchief to reveal a scar parallel to the wound in his forehead the man says: "Oh! Not as bad as last year." Goes to show that ignorance can be cured with education, but there is no cure for stupidity.

The correct thread for your gun should be 6x.75 mm. Track lists a repair nipple, 7x.75 mm. You would have to tap to that size since it's .039" larger. I don't see a 7x.75 tap though. Your only other choice would be to drill it out and tap for a US thread. BTW, have you checked Dixie Gun Works, they used to carry oversize nipples? Just how loose is too loose? Male threads are smaller than female threads so they will screw in resulting in some play.
My Investarms Hawken' s nipple size is 6×.75mm.

This is the chart from Warren Custom Outdoors.Reference Nipple Thread Sizing Chart
Manufacturer/Model Size
The Armory 6.75
Armsport 6.75
Browning 1/4-28
Cabellas 6.75
Centenial 6.75
Charles Daly 6.75
Colt 1/4-28
CVA 6.1
Dixie Arms
Mountain Rifle 1/4-28
Kentucky Pistol 1/4-32
Zouave Rifle 5/16-24
Kentucky Rifle 6.1
Berdan Rifle 6.1
Euroarms 6.75
Hopkins & Allen
Special 5/16-24
Others 1/4-32
H&R
Huntsman Adapter 1/4-28
Hatfield 1/4-28
Hawkin Hunter 5/16-24
Heritage 6.1
Hurricane Rifle 1/4-28
Invest Arms 6.75
Iver Johnson 6.1
Kodak 1/4-28
Lyman 6.75
Navy Arms
Ithaca Hawkin 1/4-28
Buffalo Hunter 1/4-28
1858 Two Band 6.75
Kentucky Rifle 1/4-28
Parker Hale 1/4-32
Pedersol 1/4-28
Richland Arms 6.75
Ruger Old Army Revolver 12-28
Sile
Newer 6.75
Older 8.125
Springfield Hawkin 6.1
Thompson Center
Hawkin 1/4-28
Renegade 1/4-28
Cherokee 12-28
Seneca 12-28
Others from T/C 1/4-28
Traditions 6.1
Trial Guns Armory 1/4-28
Zouave 5/16-24
These sizes were provided courtesy of Ben Hubbard of Hubbard Outdoor Products. We believe them to be correct.

Years ago a game warden friend was working a conservation area check station when a fellow holding a bloodstained handkerchief to his forehead drove up with a deer to be checked. He asked the fellow what happened. The man had a CVA Kentucky rifle. He said the nipple blew out across his forehead when he shot the deer. My buddy says: "Boy, that must have hurt!" Removing the handkerchief to reveal a scar parallel to the wound in his forehead the man says: "Oh! Not as bad as last year." Goes to show that ignorance can be cured with education, but there is no cure for stupidity.

That gave me a good laugh. Thank you, BB

This is the chart from Warren Custom Outdoors.Reference Nipple Thread Sizing Chart
Manufacturer/Model Size
The Armory 6.75
Armsport 6.75
Browning 1/4-28
Cabellas 6.75
Centenial 6.75
Charles Daly 6.75
Colt 1/4-28
CVA 6.1
Dixie Arms
Mountain Rifle 1/4-28
Kentucky Pistol 1/4-32
Zouave Rifle 5/16-24
Kentucky Rifle 6.1
Berdan Rifle 6.1
Euroarms 6.75
Hopkins & Allen
Special 5/16-24
Others 1/4-32
H&R
Huntsman Adapter 1/4-28
Hatfield 1/4-28
Hawkin Hunter 5/16-24
Heritage 6.1
Hurricane Rifle 1/4-28
Invest Arms 6.75
Iver Johnson 6.1
Kodak 1/4-28
Lyman 6.75
Navy Arms
Ithaca Hawkin 1/4-28
Buffalo Hunter 1/4-28
1858 Two Band 6.75
Kentucky Rifle 1/4-28
Parker Hale 1/4-32
Pedersol 1/4-28
Richland Arms 6.75
Ruger Old Army Revolver 12-28
Sile
Newer 6.75
Older 8.125
Springfield Hawkin 6.1
Thompson Center
Hawkin 1/4-28
Renegade 1/4-28
Cherokee 12-28
Seneca 12-28
Others from T/C 1/4-28
Traditions 6.1
Trial Guns Armory 1/4-28
Zouave 5/16-24
These sizes were provided courtesy of Ben Hubbard of Hubbard Outdoor Products. We believe them to be correct.

I'm not advocating Teflon tape even though its plausible in some circumstances.
It's better to be safe than sorry, but in some cases no tape is probably worse than using tape.

Folks use it on removable breech plugs all of the time.
Except they will often use multiple wraps on the breech plug threads probably because they're very coarse threads.
And then they will put grease on the tape before screwing in the plug.
They do it to prevent fouling from getting into the threads.
The tape may only last for one shooting session when the plug is ordinarily removed for cleaning anyway.

Could someone please explain the thread numbers?
I assume that something like 1/4-28 means 1/4in diameter and 28 threads per inch.
What about 6.75? Is that shorthand for 6mm diameter and 0.75mm between threads? Same 6x.75 elsewhere in this thread?
Thank you.

Standard rifle size is 1/4" x 28 threads per inch. It's easy to find oversize nipples for sale (e.g. .255" x 28 tpi. You probably won't find them at a local sporting goods store, but Track of the Wolf and Dixie, among many others, probably offer them).
Maybe you have a friend who owns a thread gauge and a micrometer. You should determine the size and condition of the threads in the nipple seat before threading in a new nipple; you don't want to cross-thread the nipple or damage the female threads. Also visually inspect the condition of the threads, using a flash light if necessary. Even if your gun turned out to have a metric-size nipple you should be able to find a suitable replacement. It's important that the nipple fit securely; a loose nipple could blow out under the pressure of firing a round. In case of any doubt, consult a professional muzzleloading gunsmith. Good luck.
Eric Bye

Thank you.
Are matching nipples for old (antique) guns available? Did they use the same threads as nowadays?

Back