Nipple replacement

Discussion in 'Percussion Rifles' started by S.Kenton, May 22, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. May 22, 2019 #1

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

58 Cal.

I purchased a custom rifle for my wife last year. It’s In the style of a Southern Mountain Rifle, anyhow she has shot it quite a bit lately and it’s now in need of a new nipple. I’ve looked through my stuff and cake up with several different sizes of nipples.... none of which fit. So I measured it and came up with this size... the shank where it is threaded is .232 thousandths with 1/4 by 26 threads. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I looked through Tracks stuff and found nothing that matched those measurements.. need help on this one. I have thought about drilling the drum and rethreading it with 1/4- 28 threads which is more common.

2. May 22, 2019 #2

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

Do not drill and rethread the drum with a 1/4-28 thread. It is too close to being the same as the thread that is already in the drum so rethreading it with that size tap will only totally destroy the existing threads and leave you with partial threads that can easily fail.

The .232 diameter is very close to 6 mm which is .2362". It is common to find the outside threads slightly smaller than the "size" of the thread.
    24 threads per inch equates to being a pitch of .0417 inches which is almost the same as a 1 mm pitch. (A 1 mm pitch is .0394 inches between threads).

With all this in mind I would say your nipple should be a standard metric 6 mm X 1 mm. CVA and Traditions uses this size thread for their nipples on many of their rifles.

arcticap likes this.
  3. May 22, 2019 #3

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

58 Cal.

Update! I just tried the nipple out of my traditions trapper pistol.. it’s a match! Perfect! So now I need to look up the nipple size and order a few... mystery solved! Thanks for all your help.. lol...;)

4. May 22, 2019 #4

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

58 Cal.

Dang zonie, your spot on! As I was typing my reply you must have been doing the same. See, another reason this forum is a wealth of knowledge! I’ll order a few of the 6-1 metrics..Thanks sir!

5. May 22, 2019 #5

52Bore

52Bore

52Bore

40 Cal.

Zonie is correct.
    6mm x 1.0
    (0.236” x 25.4 tpi)

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  6. May 22, 2019 #6

S.Kenton

S.Kenton