• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkerman233

32 Cal
Reaction score
Is there anyone on the forum that removes stuck nipples..pietta 1860 army...I've done everything I can time for some help .thanks
I may be looking for a cylinder lol

If you are willing to try again to remove the nipple, suggest you review the "stuck nipple" thread search below. Some other search keywords may also help you.

Search results for query: stuck nipple

If the above does not work a competent local gunsmith should be able to remove the stuck nipple or drill nipple out without damaging the cylinder threads.

Don't know cost of gunsmith's work these days... might be cheaper and quicker to buy a new Pietta 1860 cylinder from Cabelas for $54.99. If your Pietta was made on CNC machinery the Cabela's or other retailer's cylinder should work well.

Hopefully others will chime in with recommended forum gunsmiths or other knowledge.

Let us know your results.

Last edited:
Put that cylinder in a plastic or glass Tupperware style dish with straight Ballistol making sure the entire cylinder is covered and put the lid on the container. Let it soak for 3-5 days. Never fails for me. Be patient but you can get it out. Do you use antisieze grease at all?

For a while Pietta was putting nipples in the cylinder and then bluing them and the cylinder as a unit. That makes removing them very difficult.

The guy I got if from was a young guy and he said he never took them out he didn't have a nipple wrinch so he just cleaned it with them in

The local 4-H Shooting Sports blackpowder discipline had a stainless Remington '58 revolver which in its entire life had never had the nipples removed. Five of the six were a real struggle but I managed to save them.

Number six held on for dear life.

Soaked that cylinder in I don't know how many different penetrating oils for weeks. Finally just took the right sized easy-out
1643116545213.png
to the nipple. Even that took a small end wrench to turn (thought I was going to snap it off). When the nipple at last broke free the threads actually shrieked - and all of those threads were still bone-dry after all those oils.

The 4-H rules only allowed one chamber to be charged, and that revolver was somewhat large for some of our shooters to manage anyway. I bought the club a brand new single shot .50 percussion pistol and traded them for the somewhat battered Remington.

It seems to be happier now.....

@walkerman233,
What you need is an impact tool. Best if it is one of the 1/4" drive tools. Follow the follow thread. I have seen some on Amazon and a light duty one at Lowes.

This screw won't budge! | Page 3 | The Muzzleloading Forum

You will need two 7/16" dowel rods. These get installed in a vise so that two opposing cylinders rest on the dowels. The impact and the impulse twist will break loose some very tight threads that torque won't budge. It will at least jar the threads for the penetrating fluid to do some work.

I found this tool at Lowe's. Kobalt 1/4-in Impact in the Drive Tool & Socket Accessories department at Lowes.com

I purchased a Ruger Old Army that had been left loaded and in a drawer (probably most of its life). Two of the nipples would not budge to the point of "rounding" the nipples and wrench. I finally had to Dremmel a slot in the remainder of the nipples and use a hammer-activated handheld impact wrench to remove them. That was followed by chasing the threads on all of the cylinders with the appropriate tap to clean away the rust and crud. Came out like brand-new. I would be willing to try to work on yours, but no guarantees (expressed or implied).

The local 4-H Shooting Sports blackpowder discipline had a stainless Remington '58 revolver which in its entire life had never had the nipples removed. Five of the six were a real struggle but I managed to save them.

Number six held on for dear life.

Soaked that cylinder in I don't know how many different penetrating oils for weeks. Finally just took the right sized easy-out View attachment 117245 to the nipple. Even that took a small end wrench to turn (thought I was going to snap it off). When the nipple at last broke free the threads actually shrieked - and all of those threads were still bone-dry after all those oils.

The 4-H rules only allowed one chamber to be charged, and that revolver was somewhat large for some of our shooters to manage anyway. I bought the club a brand new single shot .50 percussion pistol and traded them for the somewhat battered Remington.

It seems to be happier now.....
Stainless steel is notorious for having screws seize up. I personally don't like stainless pistols/rifles for that reason. I have run into this problem more than once .

Attachments

• DSCN3942.JPG
    DSCN3942.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN3941.JPG
    DSCN3941.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN3940.JPG
    DSCN3940.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN3939.JPG
    DSCN3939.JPG