• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Nipple question, keep it civil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loja man

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Form those who have been in the black powder community longer than I have I would appreciate some feedback. My nephew recently got to shoot my traditions Kentucky rifle. His first time shooting black powder. He really liked it! My niece took this picture while he was shooting. It interested me that they were so many sparks coming from the nipple. While cleaning it I noticed that water was dripping from the base of the plugged nipple. This is a aftermarket stainless steel nipple with the same thread pitch as the original nipple. The nipple does seem somewhat loose while screwing it in but no more loose than the original.
Is this normal? Should I be concerned?
Thanks
Aaron

Attachments

• 604D3481-82A8-4D23-83E9-5F0C776267D1.jpeg
    604D3481-82A8-4D23-83E9-5F0C776267D1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 713B5470-216C-4F8E-8D60-33BBD77FA122.jpeg
    713B5470-216C-4F8E-8D60-33BBD77FA122.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
So how many rounds? How long you owned it? Do you remove the nipple frequently? Could be you need an oversized niple now to tighten it up. .25x28 go to a .255x28. Dixie and TOTW sell em...they go up to .265x28. Threads could be getting wore out, also could run a rap down to clean and sharpen the threads. Seems like a lot of flame coming out to me. Some yes but that is not through the nipple I do believe.

If you plug the nipple like you have there in that pic and fill the barrel with water does it leak out in that area
Yes, the second pic shown is the water dripping. It doesn’t show it dripping from the actual spot but does show it gathering.

So how many rounds? How long you owned it? Do you remove the nipple frequently? Could be you need an oversized niple now to tighten it up. .25x28 go to a .255x28. Dixie and TOTW sell em...they go up to .265x28. Threads could be getting wore out, also could run a rap down to clean and sharpen the threads. Seems like a lot of flame coming out to me. Some yes but that is not through the nipple I do believe.
I built the kit last summer and fall. I had it operational for Kentucky deer season last year. The gun has only had a couple hundred rounds down the barrel, and the nipple about half that. The nipple is removed and cleaned every time the gun is cleaned.

That is definitely excessive blow by through the nipple threads. The water seeping through confirms the problem. Get an oversize thread nipple as jdw276 suggests & see if that cures the issue. If not, get a rifle with a good bolster instead of a drum.

That would help with the dripping for sure.
Yes, you might try the oversize as well. They are $5? Get an order together of stuff you might need or want and have em throw one in. I do antisize on my threads everytime I take one out. Does not sound like the nipple or threads are wore out due to not many shots. That is about all it could be is nipple is slightly undersized or hole slightly oversized from different manufwcuter specs or toolings. I think it should be tighter but I would keep shootin it and just try other things.

I’m going to be at friendship in September maybe I will just wait and see if I can find one there.

Call dixie and see if they can bring you some. Good folks for sure. I have only seen them at dixie and totw. Not sure if flintlock inc or log cabin carries em. Oops, pretty sure tip curtis shop, now deer creek has em in those trays. I wouls bet they, he does.

If it has been shot much in this condition it can hot gas cut the area. Might be prudent to remove both nipple and drum and inspect for erosion.

If your new nipple is a vented nipple such as a Hot Shot, there will be considerable flash come out through that vent hole. Just how humid was it the day you were shooting? Black powder fouling will draw a lot of water out of humid air and water will be dripping everywhere. Are you wiping the bore between shots with a wet patch? That too will result in some water at the breech. I'm not ready to suggest drastic adjustments to your set up without some more information.

What is the manufacturer and caliber of your rifle.
What is the replacement nipple you are using?
Are you wiping between shots?
What brand and quantity of powder being used?
Is there blowback to set the hammer back when the rifle is fired?
Are you shooting a patched round ball or a conical bullet?
After cleaning are you storing the rifle muzzle down? I'm looking to determine how much oil is being held in the breech.

I built the kit last summer and fall. I had it operational for Kentucky deer season last year. The gun has only had a couple hundred rounds down the barrel, and the nipple about half that. The nipple is removed and cleaned every time the gun is cleaned.
"cleaned" --- should only refer to removing detritus. Some people "have a good go" at the nipple with aabrasive items (such as "metal toothbrushes") which is bound to create problems.

The rifle is a Taditions Kentucky 50 cal kit. We only shot it about 5 times that day due to time constraints.
- I’m shooting PRB
- I’m using Tripple Seven powder and only about 30 grains in this photo.
- I wipe about every 3rd shot if I am working on load development. Otherwise it’s more like every 8 shots.
- I don’t remember who made the nipple.
- it never blows back the hammer, even with 65 grains of powder
- after cleaning I am storing the rifle up side down.
- I don’t scrub with wire brush

Latest posts

Back