• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple primer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawk78

Southern Pride
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried the little nipple primer that I can order from Track of The Wolf? Is it effective and worth the $?

I’m certain Sam Fadala tried one in one of his books and he said it would slow ignition down acting as a sort of fuse. Makes sense to me that flame should jet thru the orifice easiest and fastest with nothing in its path.

Yes, worthless

X 2.

If one thinks they need a nipple primer they are doing something wrong or something is wrong..

Are you swabbing wrong ?
are you cleaning wrong ?
Are you using a substitute powder ?
Do you have the wrong type nipple ?
Is your nipple corroded ?
Did you clean the gun before shooting ?
The list goes on,

A good nipple wrench is invaluable. For for solving misfires and dry balls.

Been shooting percussion for 4 decades; flint little longer. Never needed a 'nipple primer', although maybe nipple wrench could conceivably be effective to remove a nipple to place powder underneath - but I've never needed to do it.

Looks like just one more well machined shiney toy to part a sucker from his money.

I bought a nipple primer when I first started shooting back in the late '80's. After a while it dawned on me what good is this thing! It only puts powder on top of the nipple! Better off spending your money on a good nipple wrench and a small pan primer so you can dump a little 4ffff powder under the nipple.

I have one and use it with my home made caps. It boosts the spark from the caps (made with a "Tap-A-Cap) to ignite the powder charge. I would not use one with standard caps as they have enough spark to ignite powder.

I have one, use it a couple of times a year when for some reason charge doesn't go off, normally if gun dirty or weather iffy, and it always does the job, a lot easier and quicker than taking nipple out and priming, they are not big, don't take up too much space, and not expensive, work well if you need to use it a lot then there is something else wrong but excellent for the odd time its needed.

Back