• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

nipple orfice erosion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use precision pin gauges to keep track of nipple erosion
6yUbGj2.jpg

The smaller the Bore & Faster the Twist, The faster a Nipple will wear. Here is a good example of that, This Nipple is from my 1:15 Twist .358 Bore, Shooting 340 Grain Bullets, 70 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, Well under 20 Shots and a Brand New Treso/Ampco Nipple is TOAST, Wore “Beyond belief” These Small, Fast Twist Bores are BRUTAL on Nipples. I had no choice but to go to a Platinum Lined Nipple in this Rifle
XlBZWsP.jpg

.358 Diameter, 1.5“ Long, 340 Grain Bullets
CFNYflA.jpg

I use precision pin gauges to keep track of nipple erosion
6yUbGj2.jpg

The smaller the Bore & Faster the Twist, The faster a Nipple will wear. Here is a good example of that, This Nipple is from my 1:15 Twist .358 Bore, Shooting 340 Grain Bullets, 70 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, Well under 20 Shots and a Brand New Treso/Ampco Nipple is TOAST, Wore “Beyond belief” These Small, Fast Twist Bores are BRUTAL on Nipples. I had no choice but to go to a Platinum Lined Nipple in this Rifle
XlBZWsP.jpg

.358 Diameter, 1.5“ Long, 340 Grain Bullets
CFNYflA.jpg
It appears that you are using brass nipples? There is no way a brass nipple will hold up. I haven't bought any black powder accessories in many years as I stockpiled everything in the early eighties. I have never seen a brass hipple before? Are my eyes deceiving me?

On the contrary, I have Hundreds of Shots through several of these Same Treso/Ampco nipples in my Fast Twist .45s, .50s, and .54 Cals That are Stil going STRONG, They start at .027-.028, After a Couple Hundred Shots they open to about .030-.031 is all. Even my 1:24 Twist .50 Cal With 100 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, Pushing 610-615 Grain Bullets. Yet my Small .358 Bore Completely DESTROYS a Brand new Nipple in about 12 Shots

It appears that you are using brass nipples? There is no way a brass nipple will hold up. I haven't bought any black powder accessories in many years as I stockpiled everything in the early eighties. I have never seen a brass hipple before? Are my eyes deceiving me?

LOL, No they are NOT Brass, they just look that color. They are Ampco Steel, Treso/Ampco’s are One of the Strongest Nipples you can Buy, FAR superior to Stainless Nipples in all of my Testing.

These
https://www.buffaloarms.com/1-4x28-treso-ampco-t-c-nipple-tre115001.html
Description
TRESO black powder muzzleloading nipples are made from Ampco, a tough alloy with a tensile strength of 118,000 psi, which is tougher than most steels used in muzzleloading barrels. This material provides more resistance to repeated blows from the hammer, and the high thermal conductivity of Ampco alloy affects a faster heat dissipation. This dissipation reduces erosion of the small base hole and assures a longer lasting nipple. All nipples have a small base hole (.028") to greatly reduce the amount of escaping powder gases. Many muzzle loading experts feel an added benefit of the small base hole is the hot gases from the percussion cap are more concentrated and uniformly directed against the powder chamber. It is up to the customer to select the correct nipple.

LOL, No they are NOT Brass, they just look that color. They are Ampco Steel, Treso/Ampco’s are One of the Strongest Nipples you can Buy, FAR superior to Stainless Nipples in all of my Testing.

These
https://www.buffaloarms.com/1-4x28-treso-ampco-t-c-nipple-tre115001.html
Description
TRESO black powder muzzleloading nipples are made from Ampco, a tough alloy with a tensile strength of 118,000 psi, which is tougher than most steels used in muzzleloading barrels. This material provides more resistance to repeated blows from the hammer, and the high thermal conductivity of Ampco alloy affects a faster heat dissipation. This dissipation reduces erosion of the small base hole and assures a longer lasting nipple. All nipples have a small base hole (.028") to greatly reduce the amount of escaping powder gases. Many muzzle loading experts feel an added benefit of the small base hole is the hot gases from the percussion cap are more concentrated and uniformly directed against the powder chamber. It is up to the customer to select the correct nipple.
I am glad to hear they were not brass. I saw the picture of your pin gauges and it made me aware that you were particular about your equiptment and knowledgeable as well. All I could think of was." how could he not know brass could not hold up"? Stupid me!
I have only one nipple left that fits my "Ithaca Hawkin",what would you reccomend?

I used to have contact with many wire drawers and scrounged worn out very fine Tungten die inserts. In the right sizes they make good nipple liners and last well in Small bore high pressure rifles.. By the way, Artificer we met at that meeting at Wedgnock as I was shooting Clays.. OLD DOG..

Latest posts

Back