• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Nipple grease

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take the nipple out occassionly during cleaning and obviously to change them. I clean mine in a tea ball soaking in soapy water than dry and oil thin. Never have had a problem.

I have used NEVER SEIZE for 65 + yrs. and never had astuck / frozen nipple! at least not yet. but I for one know that there is a first time for every thing!! GOD, I hope not!!

I’ve used high-temp copper anti-seize for years on both nipples and breechplugs. Working in a corrosive industrial plant for years, any fastener on parts requiring maint, got it. When you get a corroded thread, you’ll sure wish you had used some. A small tube purchased at an auto parts store, lasts a lifetime. I got two, one in the workbench another in the shooting box. Don’t get it on your clothes, it’s almost impossible to remove.

As long as someone doesn't wait a long time to remove them, they should be fine. I usually like to remove mine every other time I take them shooting or if it's been awhile I go ahead and do so. They need not be put back with great force, just need to be snug.
Amen brother, you and Mulebrain have the goods on this problem.

"Don’t get it on your clothes, it’s almost impossible to remove."

The stuff gets every where and all over a person.

Any old grease is better than no grease, I use the stuff that's used in faucets and water filters.

I did the same thing for years. I srarted using a trace of antisieze just because it makes it easier to remove. I pull the nipple with every cleaning. A well experienced shooter was surprised to find that i remove it every time it's cleaned. He insisted that the nipple should never be removed and that he never removes them, ever.
To each their own..
I like my guns clean. I pull the nipples every outing and soak in MAP, then brush and blow with compressed air. Reinstall with a touch of anti-seize - nickel - the same stuff I use on spark plugs that works great for both. A tube at the auto supply store will last for several years,

I've ruined just about all my shirts from this hobby, lol, but I'm not one who really cares. I just need to remind myself to use these particular shirts when shooting/cleaning because I did order some new shirts. Mom got on me about my appearance the last time we went to town, and convinced me to shave.

I've ruined just about all my shirts from this hobby, lol, but I'm not one who really cares. I just need to remind myself to use these particular shirts when shooting/cleaning because I did order some new shirts. Mom got on me about my appearance the last time we went to town, and convinced me to shave.
Your Mom and my wife must be related.

I pull my nipples after every shoot when cleaning my guns and for 30+ years have just applied a very thin coat of Bore Butter to the threads. There have been times when the guns have set for long periods of time, never had a problem.

I have used Neverseize for the last couple of decades. It goes on everything muzzleloading related that is threaded except wood screws. This has saved me from stuck nipples, frozen clean-out screws, and innumberable difficult screws and bolts ever since. IME it works much better than traditional lubes over time, and is invisible if you wipe off the excess. As others have posted, many things work. Depends on what you like to use.

It seems the only thing 'set in stone' in this hobby is 'Safety First', all else is whatever works for you with what you have, the variables are unlimited.

This.

Black powder shooters especially go in all different directions when it comes to methods of doing stuff. None of it wrong usually, it just seems like so many different things will work when it comes to black. Not something thats always true with the more modern/smokeless arms.

Opening a bottle of anti seize is like eating a 7-11 jumbo dog with mustard while wearing a 3 piece suit in your car on the way to the most important job interview of your life. 😀

Latest posts

Back