• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple Fouling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skypilot39b

36 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, was out this weekend with my Kentucky Long Rifle and my H&A Underhammer pistol. With the pistol I ran into a problem with the nipple fouling to the point where it was difficult to get another cap on. The nipple was clear to fire, but fouled around it. Not something I'd come across before, is there something I was doing that was causing this, or was it a case of humidity or something causing some buildup? I didn't have any problems with the rifle

Those underhammers can capture crud that builds up. I don't know if 'hot shot' style nipples are made that will fit the H&A. Contact TOW and ask them. If so, get a couple they will help.

wiping it down worked, it was just something I hadn't run into before and wanted to throw it out there. I'm new to this endeavor and am still doing some discovery learning....

yeah, I find that is the case in most of the old school things I do, I do traditional archery as well and it is a constant learning curve, and I have to believe, that is "period correct" because I don't think the guys doing this 200 years ago had it all figured out either, they were constantly learning and adapting just like everyone else

Latest posts

Back