• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Niles MI Museum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Owl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
There is supposed to be a Fort St. Joseph Museum in Niles, MI. Anyone been there? How is it? Worth a trip? Thanks.

Been about 12 years since I was there. The actual fort site is an ongoing archeological study with ground penetrating radar. There was an old museum nearby but all that I recall is that it had a taxidermy mount of a two headed goat. I'm sure there was some info on the fort also. Its location was on a portage from the St. Joseph river to the Kankakee.

There is supposed to be a Fort St. Joseph Museum in Niles, MI. Anyone been there? How is it? Worth a trip? Thanks.
I was there last summer, and, unless you are close by, I wouldn't make the trip....YET. They really had very few, if any, artifacts that had been excavated from the Fort St. Joseph site in the museum because they are still carefully excavating and categorizing the artifacts they are finding. Many of these artifacts are very tiny, ie glass beads about 1 or 2 mm in diameter. Remarkably, they can tell the age and origin of these beads after examination. Our group of reenactors had a special invitation to visit the excavation site and actually see the work being done. That was worth seeing! I think as the work progresses they will display more and more artifacts from the site. I would call before making a trip and press them for actual details of what they have in the museum. Overall, it's a nice museum.

Back