• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Nickel Barrels on Pedersoli Flint Howdah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you're joking but THAT did cross my mind, or imitation ivory inlays, haha. Like a dog that messes up his bed before it lays down, it ain’t mine till I’ve messed with it. And I considered removing that plastic looking satin coating off the walnut and oiling the wood to a nice patina that improves year-after-year using Waylon Bay True-Coat or just boiled linseed oil (Swedish Allback brand only). Pedersoli’s Alaskan Howdah open breach has silver colored barrels that look great against the wood (but are hard chromed).
Thanks.
yes I am just joking of course.

Done. I left the steel near white for now. I stripped the stock (a tough varnish - had to soak the whole thing 24 hours in a methylene chloride stripper bath) and "oil" finished it with Watco Teak Oil (8 applications) then Tru-Oil (4 applications) sanding the wet finger-applied applications with 440 paper until I filled grain and achieved a hard, smooth and glossy surface coating. I'll leave it glossy for now. I removed the brown ceramic coating on the barrels by hand work with successive grades of Scotch-Brite then steel wool. I used 00 to 000 steel wool to rub back the factory dark patina on the steel to reveal "wear" highlighting. After oiling the stock I added to the the grip fake ivory (Super Tusk by Elforyn) for a highlight. I then took an old machinist's chest and modified it for storage of the pistol and its accoutrements. I added 2 inches to the lid with oak for neded depts and aged the new oak with potassium permanganate and dark button lac to match the chest's old oak. I added to the lid underside an original Indian painting on silk and framed it with imitation ivory (Alternative Ivory col.849/TM). Then I added to the lid underside red fely which I aged and faded to match the old felt in the chest with repeated brushing with highly dilute white wall primer. OK so now I'm getting the stuff together to shoot it.
Result: much more visual interest and sense of age with darker walnut, worn bright steel with gray recesses, and ivory.

IMG_5066.jpg
IMG_5067.jpg
IMG_5069.jpg
IMG_5070.jpg

Latest posts

Back