• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nice surprise!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you actually like your Beretta? I am fortunate enough to actually own two, but have yet to put them to use.
I have owned a pair since of repros since they first came onto the UK market , they do require a lot of customizing to get them to work regular when a lot of shots are required in a session , compared to the original they are poor but with a little bit of work they can be improved .
Feltwad
P1010005.JPG

I was out late last night looking for a chicken killing fox on this egg production unit.
Never saw it but when I got up this morning early to go pheasant hunting with a muzzleloader my right foot was in agony with planta so I didn't go out.
Feeling miserable about it my wife gave me some cream to rub on my heel and it improved.
So I phoned the chicken farmer who is next door to us if he had seen any pheasants on the farm. He said there is " just a couple in the pit".
So I set of with the Pseudo Beretta only to find the pit, a small spinney with a small pool in it absolutely full of pheasants! Must of walked off a local shoot that does not come near this farm.
What's a man to do, can't let them go to waste!
I didn't shoot the hens mind.
View attachment 102866
View attachment 102873
Looks like I'm eating bird all week!
Nice birds! I envy you!

How do you actually like your Beretta? I am fortunate enough to actually own two, but have yet to put them to use.
It comes up nice and it follows through quite well.
Some are made better than others. The bottom barrel to nipple bolster is a terrible design and needs some sealing.
If its not sealing well high pressure gas cuts the inletting but also loses ignition efficiency.
I fixed mine and its OK now, oh and don't get oil down in there!

It comes up nice and it follows through quite well.
Some are made better than others. The bottom barrel to nipple bolster is a terrible design and needs some sealing.
If its not sealing well high pressure gas cuts the inletting but also loses ignition efficiency.
I fixed mine and its OK now, oh and don't get oil down in there!
Interesting! I will be certain to check for that! My first one was acquired in a little gun shop outside of Phoenix, AZ (on the way to the airport to fly home). It was N.I.B. but I had to discard the box to "compact" it and its accoutrements to get it on the flight. The shop owner was vexed that no one had any interest in it and sold it to me for $175.00! The second one is also N.I.B. and still covered in cosmoline, but was a little more pricey! I feel very lucky, indeed!

I have owned a pair since of repros since they first came onto the UK market , they do require a lot of customizing to get them to work regular when a lot of shots are required in a session , compared to the original they are poor but with a little bit of work they can be improved .
Feltwad
View attachment 103264
Such a fine case too! Did you have it made or is it something one might find available?

Such a fine case too! Did you have it made or is it something one might find available?
Just a standard case I made to house this pair of guns and component's that came with it after customising . Lets not stray from the original thread it may not go well with some .
Feltwad

Interesting! I will be certain to check for that! My first one was acquired in a little gun shop outside of Phoenix, AZ (on the way to the airport to fly home). It was N.I.B. but I had to discard the box to "compact" it and its accoutrements to get it on the flight. The shop owner was vexed that no one had any interest in it and sold it to me for $175.00! The second one is also N.I.B. and still covered in cosmoline, but was a little more pricey! I feel very lucky, indeed!
You stole that first one!

I've not seen or heard pheasant in so many years, it's a pity. Must be at least 20 years or more. I was working near a farm field and out of the corner of my eye, I see movement. It was the hen, checking out the area before running from one cover to another. Once the cock saw that it was clear, he followed the hen. Last birds I ever saw.

I've not seen or heard pheasant in so many years, it's a pity. Must be at least 20 years or more. I was working near a farm field and out of the corner of my eye, I see movement. It was the hen, checking out the area before running from one cover to another. Once the cock saw that it was clear, he followed the hen. Last birds I ever saw.
That sir is sad , If it was not for the large sporting estates here in the Uk and the conservation of game due to rearing and keeping would soon end up the same This has already happened in some placers where sporting estates have folded game have been shot or dogged till there is nothing left after a few years .
Feltwad

Lovely. I'd dearly like to hunt pheasant with my old Grundmann but alas,its a rich man's sport here in Australia

Lovely. I'd dearly like to hunt pheasant with my old Grundmann but alas,its a rich man's sport here in Australia
It's a rich man's sport here.
There are small friends and family shoots but any large shoot and it's thousand to join.

Not for the likes of me, I just control vermin best I can to make for a kinder habitat for any overspill.

Yes I agree to shoot the large estates is a rich mans sport, but who are these rich men well more than half are foreign guns these are mostly commercial shoots run by commercial companies. If we take the smaller shoots run by the estate or the owner then it is possible to have a day which will cost you a modest sum , but once again most foreign guns book these places for the full season shoots and it also includes pigeon shooting, When I was more mobile I could afford a couple of days at driven pheasants and partridge but now I make do sitting in my hide and shooting crows and pigeon which can be just has much sport on a good day .
Feltwad
100_3940.JPG
100_3388.JPG

Yes I agree to shoot the large estates is a rich mans sport, but who are these rich men well more than half are foreign guns these are mostly commercial shoots run by commercial companies. If we take the smaller shoots run by the estate or the owner then it is possible to have a day which will cost you a modest sum , but once again most foreign guns book these places for the full season shoots and it also includes pigeon shooting, When I was more mobile I could afford a couple of days at driven pheasants and partridge but now I make do sitting in my hide and shooting crows and pigeon which can be just has much sport on a good day .
FeltwadView attachment 103445View attachment 103446
It is not all foreign shooters visiting big shoots.
Wealthy British often book paid days at £40 a bird.
A team of London bankers use to buy a day on the big shoot I was on. Back then they would shoot 300 birds at £30! Never saw a foreign shooter on that estate.

It is not all foreign shooters visiting big shoots.
Wealthy British often book paid days at £40 a bird.
A team of London bankers use to buy a day on the big shoot I was on. Back then they would shoot 300 birds at £30! Never saw a foreign shooter on that estate.
Talking of London bankers I remember once helping out when a group of them took the day it was not a shooting day but a business day . On one stand the person on the peg did not lift his gun and the birds were streaming over him the reason been he was on his mobile the full length of that giving drive .This attitude does not do justice to the estate staff who do a full days work to put on good driven days for the likes of them
Feltwad.

Pheasants, red wing black birds. Their numbers today surely have nothing to do with the nice safe WhatEverIcides used to keep our lands in proper order.

When lived in York Co., PA I had to drive slowly near work to let Mrs. Pheasant cross the road with her children. In the Fall I'd leave home early w my antique double. Mr. Pheasant didn't seem to care that it was a muzzle loader. Then moved to S.E. Michigan in 1972, and pheasant was essentially an extinct species. Though we did have a lot of red-winged blackbirds around south-western shore of Lake Erie through the 1970's. Dunno about today.

Anyone wonder why?
I live in Ohio. We used to have a lot of game birds until the blizzard of 1977-78 nearly wiped them out. The state does periodically release game birds (pheasant) during season. Most of them are quickly killed by hunters and predators. If you want to hunt game birds in Ohio it is best to go to a farm that raises them for pay to hunt.

Latest posts

Back